Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

smoking at the valley?

Comments

• Options
    Can't quote from previous page but to respond to Henry I have e mailed the club twice before about the smoking in the north stand toilets and in response got a load of old waffle about how serious the club takes it. Really ? I am now just waiting for the fine to come inane then start a new Smoking at The Valley thread.
  • Options
    They could install sprinklers in the toilets.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ActuAlly Henry I think you are wrong in suggesting that the solution to this issue is down to us, the supporters. It is firmly the clubs responsibility to enforce, steward or anything else in relation to the health and safety of it's customers and upholding the law with regard to smoking. If the club want to fund a smoking area then that is up to them and if not it is their responsibility to enforce no smoking within the stadium or face the consequenes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]They could install sprinklers in the toilets.
    Enough people piss all over the floor as it is!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]ActuAlly Henry I think you are wrong in suggesting that the solution to this issue is down to us, the supporters. It is firmly the clubs responsibility to enforce, steward or anything else in relation to the health and safety of it's customers and upholding the law with regard to smoking. If the club want to fund a smoking area then that is up to them and if not it is their responsibility to enforce no smoking within the stadium or face the consequenes.

I think he was referring to the smokers arranging a smoking zone. Clearly they don't need to bother now as they have obviously earmarked the toilets as a smoking room. If/when the club stop that they might be much more motivated to arrange something themselves. Or of course stop smoking at games, or potentially watch the first half, have half a fag and be ejected from the ground.

I konw this this sounds a bit pedantic, but with the rules the way they are it is scandalous that the club has ignored the requests of a fan, twice, to stop people illigally smoking on their premises.

I doesn't really affect me as, like Henry, I'm in the East Stand but if those that smoke can't refrain then someone at the club should do it for them. They'll only need to eject a handful of them a coupld of times and they'll learn to go two hours without one, or they'll arrange a solution that costs the club nothing yet provides them somewhere to smoke.
  • Options
    There is also the issue that fans will be using a cubicle to smoke when other fans may have a more pressing use for it. Gulp!
  • Options
    At every Safety Advisory Group (SAG) meeting i have attended the answer regarding smoking is always the same. Smoking is illegal in the stadium and until the law changes the club are not interested in looking at alternatives. As regards smoking in the toilets, stewards are told to apprehend anyone smoking, but it is not considered a high priority. However, if someone is asked to stop smoking and then physically or verbally abuses a steward, they will be ejected.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]ActuAlly Henry I think you are wrong in suggesting that the solution to this issue is down to us, the supporters. It is firmly the clubs responsibility to enforce, steward or anything else in relation to the health and safety of it's customers and upholding the law with regard to smoking. If the club want to fund a smoking area then that is up to them and if not it is their responsibility to enforce no smoking within the stadium or face the consequenes.

I agree that enforcing the current rules are down to the club and they should be doing that better.

But if we want solutions other than just a blanket ban, such as a smoking area, then why shouldn't the fans take the initiative and help. Isn't it our club?

Those fans who want an external smoking area need to make it happen cos if they don't it won't happen. It's up to them.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]ActuAlly Henry I think you are wrong in suggesting that the solution to this issue is down to us, the supporters. It is firmly the clubs responsibility to enforce, steward or anything else in relation to the health and safety of it's customers and upholding the law with regard to smoking. If the club want to fund a smoking area then that is up to them and if not it is their responsibility to enforce no smoking within the stadium or face the consequenes.[/quote]

I agree that enforcing the current rules are down to the club and they should be doing that better.

But if we want solutions other than just a blanket ban, such as a smoking area, then why shouldn't the fans take the initiative and help. Isn't it our club?

Those fans who want an external smoking area need to make it happen cos if they don't it won't happen. It's up to them.[/quote]

It seems to me, that it's the non-smokers who want a smoking area rather than the smokers. If the non-smokers want the smokers to have a smoking area, then why shouldn't they take the initiative and help. Isn't it our club?
  • Options
    It's a pretty sad state of affairs if someone can't go without a fag for 90 minutes in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd rather the smokers didn't smoke for 2 hours.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Those fans who want an external smoking area need to make it happen cos if they don't it won't happen. It's up to them.

It seems to me, that it's the non-smokers who want a smoking area rather than the smokers. If the non-smokers want the smokers to have a smoking area, then why shouldn't they take the initiative and help. Isn't it our club?

Maybe if the smokers took a lead some non-smokers would offer to help.

While everyone waits for everyone else nothing will happen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]

Maybe if the smokers took a lead some non-smokers would offer to help.

While everyone waits for everyone else nothing will happen.

So, people who have chosen not to smoke because they don't like it are expected to volunteer to stand with a bunch of horrible stinky smokers during half time!?!? I really don't think so - I want the law enforced and I don't want to be anywhere near their filth.
  • Options
    Not what I was saying.

I think the Smokers should volunteer to do it. It's up to the non-smokers if they want to help out.

Still, no one will do anything and in 6 months time there will be an identical thread on here.
  • Options
    I think Stig should volunteer
  • Options
    I volunteer to stand by with one of those riot-control hoses and drench anyone who even looks like reaching for a fag.
  • Options
    I have put it in my diary already Henry.
  • Options
    I will wait for 2 hours, rather put up with it than the club shell out money for that.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure that there is a good argument in saying that maybe a few more would go to matches if they could smoke at half time, thereby the extra revenue would pay for a simple enclosure. But, I think its fairly likely that a lot more people would go to pubs if there was a smokers only room. The figures on pub closures since the smoking ban may bare this out.

eg; A hundred more through the turnstiles every home game equates to around 90k a season. How much to fence off a small area?
  • Options
    I emailed Tom

John

I am unsure if you may be aware but there Is a fans forum called Charlton Life and of late we have been having a debate as to the Clubs policy on smoking.

Now all of us are aware that you get those who have little or no consideration to others who openly break the rules within the confides of the stadium and smoke in toilets and concourse stairways,

Now they are bang out of order and I don’t feel the club does enough to remove these people from doing that.

The main reason for my email is that within the discussion point we were reminiscing on how well as fans we were treated by Derby County.

What Derby provided was an area that was secure by stewards that allowed fans to exit the stadium and have a smoke and congregate in a real sociable and friendly way, a game of impromptu cricket even took place against a police cars grill.

The question that is being asked is there any way that Charlton can look to lead the way in London on this and try to find a way to facilitate an area like this in not only home ends but an area for away fans too.

Making their experience more enjoyable and word of mouth could well generate more income into the club at a time when we need it most

I await your reply in anticipation

John to his credit has responded today and it is quite good

Darren,

Thank you for your E mail. As you are aware, we are simply complying with the law with regard to smoking. Last year we did eject some smokers from the Stadium and issued many warnings. Derby are not the only club to facilitate smokers, but these Clubs are in the minority and tend to be in the lower divisions or non league.

I will raise the issue with Greenwich Council and the Football Licensing Authority at the next Safety Advisory Group meeting and get their opinion on the matter.

Regards,

John Little
    Safety Officer
    Charlton Athletic Football Club

i will keep you posted
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good work NLA.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    http://www.cafctv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2228380,00.html

Cracking down on the toilet smoking from tonight it seems.
  • Options
    About bloody Time. Lets hope the Stewards have the balls to do it.
  • Options
    Been a Veggie for over 30 years and the smell of the cooking dead flesh makes me feel physical sick:
    I'll try and get "burgers" banned I think..........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Been a carpet fitter for over 30 years and the smell of the floor varnish makes me feel physical sick:
    I'll try and get "wooden floors" banned I think..........
  • Options
    I don't drink and the smell of alcohol makes me feel physically sick:
    I'll try and get "beer" banned I think.............
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Been a Veggie for over 30 years and the smell of the cooking dead flesh makes me feel physical sick:
    I'll try and get "burgers" banned I think..........

Can you have secondary meat? ;)
  • Options
    plenty of stewards in the toilet last night (on day release from belmarsh by the looks of it)

didn't seem bothered with people smoking on the stairs down by the turnstiles though.
  • Options
    They was hardly catching people though was they, more preventing!! I mean around 6 standing in the mens toilet no one was ever gonna light up pointless exercise