Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goodbye London

Comments

• Options
    I have only ever lived in Inner London and only ever worked in London, mainly in The City.
    I love London, simply adore it and I will never live anywhere else. Maybe it helps that I like people unlike some of the bloody miserable lot on here.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Windscreen said "When I first moved to London incidents like this shocked me, but today it just felt like an inconvenience. This is the fifth shooting / stabbing in my street in the last two years and has sadly become part of London life".

It then became apparent that Windscreen lives in Tottenham. What did you expect?

It's a bit like someone complaining it's really hot living in Dubai.

Excuse me, but what is wrong with Tottenham?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Excuse me, but what is wrong with Tottenham?
    Are you mental?!

That was the point of the post was it not? You wrote it.
  • Options
    I'm living with grime and crime, feral gangs of drunken white kids, druggies, poor and expensive public transport, dog poo, sod all to do, bigger house and no mortgage. I'd give anything to move back to London. Endless nights of just roaming about along the river after going to the theatre or museums or just enjoying the latest ethnic restaurant. There was always something new or unexpected to be found or experienced. Oh how I miss London.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Windscreen said "When I first moved to London incidents like this shocked me, but today it just felt like an inconvenience. This is the fifth shooting / stabbing in my street in the last two years and has sadly become part of London life".

It then became apparent that Windscreen lives in Tottenham. What did you expect?

you said what was wrong with Tottenham earlier stabbings shootings gangs and street crime..

Come to Enfield have a cuppa you will feel much better
  • Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    Sailor/Windscreen?

Didn't think we were allowed two user names on here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Excuse me, but what is wrong with Tottenham?
    Are you mental?!

That was the point of the post was it not? You wrote it.

my first lol of the day
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sailor[/cite].

Too late, I saw that windsailor.

Very naughty having two log ins.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]

Why don't you tell me seeing as you wrote "any affection I had for this house or this area dissapeared today".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I find that it depends on where you live in london. If you are from a part of London that has been 'taken over' by immigrants and you feel like a stranger in a place you once felt at home then naturally you will have a downer on things. People from Bermondsey for instance are always complaining about how it used to be, what it's like now etc etc, similar to Woolwich. Now although it may be politically incorrect to say so and indeed there are good and bad in all races, it is surely natural to want to live in an area where you can relate to the culture of the people.Once again, birds of a feather etc. I also find myself shocked at the views of people from these areas who are quite simply racist but who am i to critcise when i have lived in an area (Eltham / Sidcup / Bexley) that has remained relatively unchanged. I think that immigration is a problem everywhere because there seems to be policies from high up who encourage concentrations of certian races in certain areas and integration is not happening. I still think London is great and there are far worse countries and cities, with incidentally far worse immigration and unemployment problems than us, but i can also understand why some people are bitter.
  • Options
    Lived in Eltham, Sydenham, Redhill & now Kent & it has to be said I've never been happier but maybe that is more to do with my life now rather than the area.
  • Options
    There are good and bad sides to absolutely everywhere in the world.

Find somewhere that suits your interests and things important to you, embrace and accentuate the good sides, do what you have to avoid the bad sides.

When the bad sides start to become overbearing, then its time to move on, but there is never the guarantee the grass is greener despite the ideological fantasy you build up in your mind.
  • Options
    I get the point about the ethnicity of an area changing through immigration but if you look at the history of London it has always grown. So for it to do that people must have been coming in from else where. Originally they would have been other parts of the country and then from other parts of the world.

I know people do get attached to a period of time when an area was a certain way but that is all it is, a period of time. Look through the history of an area and sometimes it goes up and sometimes down. For example i used to go through Kings Cross a lot which was quite rough but if you looked at the actual buildings a lo of them where really grand.
  • Options
    Lived in Bermondsey, Bow, Elephant and castle, Clapham, Old street and Orpington and Beckenham (the last 2 sort of london at a push).

All very different places with their own problems and issuess. Must say that the difference between Bermondsey and Elephant was striking even though they are right next to each other. It isnt the city or the area it is the scum that brings an area down.

Inner city london always has had poverty, crime and problems but it seems to be getting worse by the decade as many misguided fools seem to want to strive to ensure their neighbourhoods turn into Compton and any sense of community and respect for each other seems to be eroded further each year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Sailor/Windscreen?

Well you post as Chirpy Red and Henry Irving according to the internet history thread

:-)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

Well you post as Chirpy Red and Henry Irving according to the internet history thread

Fair cop Guv.
    I do but that's allowed as I'm part of the inner (but not inner outer or inner inner) clique : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

I do but that's allowed as I'm part of the inner (but not inner outer or inner inner) clique : - )
  • Options
    much i would miss much i would blow up and start again.

shit holes exist all overthe World. First paid OB in World was London-- not because it was a whoooooopy good idea because of muggers !called cut purses(clue what they used in that name). Shooters Hill got its name from ? a Mr Shooter who lived on the hill ? orrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The weird thing about crime is this: If your mugged, stabbed, raped etc would you be more pissed off if it was an ethnic scum bag or English ? how is it differant ??? it cant be can it--- logic says its the same--- scum bag is a scum bag-------------however if i was mugged(one attempted) by an "ethnic" criminal somehow i would feel more pissed off ????????????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]if i was mugged(one attempted) by an "ethnic" criminal somehow i would feel more pissed off ????????????
    Really?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best city in the world, most of you have probably never been to some of its best areas. When foriegners list their fav cities London & New York are usually the top 2, unless they prefer small quieter cities. Yes it's not perfect but most people who complain about the commuting probably commute from the home counties.

Now Leroy I'll only comment on where I've been;

Sevilla - Dull and you can't eat the oranges.
    Barcelona - Dirty, surrounded by slums & dull
    Melbourne - Lived there for 2 months, great for sport but even worse weather than London and awful nightlife. I enjoyed my time there but it's not on the same level as London.
    Stockholm - Beatiful city, stuning in fact but very expensive & dull.
    Milan - Is this a joke?

Nothing wrong with liking a change though, I don't want to spend my entire life here no matter how awesome it is!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]if i was mugged(one attempted) by an "ethnic" criminal somehow i would feel more pissed off ????????????
    Really?

I think that was a question not a quote.
  • Options
    I live in Hither Green.... location for work is perfect for the City... 10 mins to London Bridge however the place is full of absolute SCUMBAGS! I got burgled two weeks ago whilst I was in bed asleep!
  • Options
    Lived in Bexley area all my life up until a couple of years ago. Going back ten or fifteen years ago I couldn't imagine living anywhere else as when you felt completely detatched from London - but how the area and society life in general has deteriorated during that time. Have two young children and feared the deteriation over the next ten years will be worse so now live in the sticks near Leeds Castle and would never move back. I'm not being snobby as I am more dissappointed than anyone, as I say I loved it there years ago. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Melbourne - Lived there for 2 months, great for sport but even worse weather than London and awful nightlife. I enjoyed my time there but it's not on the same level as London.
    WTF? You must love grey skies and perpetual drizzle... :-)

Liked my 26 years in Melbourne and my 4 years in London. London has ridiculously expensive housing and wouldn't dream of having kids there so made the move to NL. never looked back.
  • Options
    When I moved out from Blackheath, having come from a council estate in Charlton as a kid, Bexley village still retained a degree of community and village life. To a degree it still does.

I look back on horror at the apparent class divide of Woolwich which was never a green a plesant land, but had a vibrant working class community, one that I came from.

Too easy to blame immigrants, the issue is far more sophisticated than that. Lack of investment in infastructure, Lack of investment in the community and business, just look at Woolwich , and the break down of knowing your neighbours ( I still do) has hardly helped matters. Going to apparent 'better schools' in parts of the country that you do not live in by transporting them in makes kids and parents divorced from the community they live in. Not sure anyone travelled more than a bus ride away at secondary school when I was there. And primary school probably unthinkable, now people are rushing across boroughs. It has been almost 30 years since I left South East London, but the relaxed atmosphere of the suburbs is not as it was!. In fact I have made moves to move out of the area for the things that I aspire to now!. My lads still love it! So i guess it could also be an age thing, as well as other factors. I would probably become bored with living anywhere if I was to be honest!. I really do not think I would ever move back to Charlton, because I do not relate to the community, which is rather sad! So it looks like the coast for me in Kent/Sussex money permitting. I am sure I will find fault there as well!. For some bizzare reason I am attracted to living next to water, the wife say's move into the bathroom then!...
  • Options
    i live in sheffield, the greenest city in europe (see wiki - more greenspace and trees than any other). i love the hills and the open countryside with very few people in it within 5 miles of city centre in any direction. the property is still very cheap and i can commute to work 25 miles in 25 mins. i will only leave when my inevitable move with other half back to her native sweden happens. i could never move back to london as i could never afford it. i have a pleasant house near meadowhall. it's a brick built 3-bed detatched with garage and nice garden with views across the valley and backs onto a huge common - market value £110k. that said i will always love south london and Charlton.
  • Options
    Lack of investment in infastructure, Lack of investment in the community and business, just look at Woolwich

Don't disagree but we've just had 13 years of investment in infastructure and community in these sorts of places which is what you get with a left wing government (won't get that now, the tories will be very vindictive about where the cuts are made and it won't be the rich bankers who suffer). This investment (new schools / hospitals, leisure centres etc)is good but only scratches the surface. The real problem for those areas is that what made them the communities and the thriving places they were (Bermondsey the docks / woolwich the manufacturing/factories) were the industries. These industries are no longer there or economically viable and so these areas are 'infilled' with immigrants. As a nation we don't turn our backs on those in need and a lot of this infill has come from struggling countries and the fact is that the demographics of London have changed and will continue to do so but as i've said before, the problems we have are no different to any other major city in the world and i think London's great and would certainly never move away permanently even if i had the means to do so. Love to visit other places, and each to their own, but i don't go along with this 'countries going down the pan' right wing propaganda thats been going on. We're in a world that isn't perfect and currently that world is in a recession. Given all that, things don't seem to bad to me (even if my football club are in the biggest recession of all).
  • Options
    lived in Bexley a fair bit of my life. Used to be a nice area. Then had a knife pulled on me outside the Off Licence in Baldwyn's Park and a brick chucked through the rear car window as I drove through Bexley village. Things have certainly changed, and not for the better in my opinion.
  • Options
    used to live in new eltham when i was little and i loved it ; playing in the streets with my friends , lots of things to do at the weekend
    but i moved away to alicante and now live in kent and i think that if i moved back i would hate it
    it just seemed to have changed somehow , although i suspect that it may be my age
    i'll most probably end up moving back there aftr my schooling just for all the opportunities and facilities