Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield vs Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Just got back from the game and have to agree with the two comments of the posters who were at the game.

For the first 40 minutes we were the better side without neither side creating a chance. The first goal was an error between the 2 centre halfs, and the keeper, not sure which one was exactly to blame. The second gaol was a very good header but Worner should have been penalised for a penalty a minute earlier.

Once we were behind it was very difficult to come back from. Not going to get to down about this, very early days in this teams development (what happens when you changed a large percentage of the playing staff from one side to the next)

The keeper made his best save from a Francis own goal effort. Very strange to see a keeper at this level under 6ft. I thought we bought him to sit on the bench and we would have a loan keeper in if Rob was not playing. At the end of August he has played 2 games.

Francis was poor again today but no worse than Jackson.
  • Options
    we lost far in far worse circumstances last season & still made the play-offs, as long as lessons are learned from these results I see no reason to panic yet - as someone said Millwall didn't register their first away league win last season until mid-October & their next 3 points away from home until the end of January!!!!
  • Options
    Fry is our new striker, FACT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]In answer to paul sturgess I went to 8 away games last year but with 3 young children I find it hard to justify disappearing from my family for the best part of a day for away trips
    In years gone by I went to 90% of away games for about 10 seasons but obviously everyones personal circumstances change
    I just can't see how our away numbers are so numerically different to other similar sized clubs
    Anyway our home numbers are fairly decent and let's hope we can hold on to them.....
    Best keep this about after match views tho, so come on those that went fill us with some hope but don't lie !!

i agree re: the similar sized clubs thing. imo certainly when we were in the prem we should have been approaching similar support to west ham - we have the whole of greenwich and bexley which should be pretty much charlton only and them two boroughs have a populatioon of more than 400k, which is far far more than the population of southampton for example, and then when you add on all of kent and bromley etc... yet our support is terrible. i guess it is competing with all the other london clubs and hence a large proportion of what should be our support follow spurs or arsenal but still find it amazing how bad our away support is especially when, as you say, our home attendances seem to be just about holding up to a reasonable level even allowing for the exaggeration of season tickets etc
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite] To be honest, I don't think your clumsy irony really helps take the debate forward, does it?

unfortunately there is a lot of clumsy irony at play on this board, it is often used to preemptively belittle people who may wish to express a differing or non-party line view.........I won't name the worst offender but it can be very grating
  • Options
    Very ashamed of the numbers that went today, thought we could manage more than that.

Will do my take on it tomorrow, for now im knackered.
  • Options
    Im still trying to get my head round 400 people that came, and the only noise they manage is the odd yawn!

Im seeing middle aged and younger people travelling all that way and they can't get a little excited and passionate about the match?

Well done to us all that did make the journey, but the fact our support is as on/off as it is, is all down to passion. Most clubs (west ham ect) have fans that live to support the team they love. We just haven't got the right mix between the passionate ones and the day trippers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: GNelson[/cite]Losing away at Huddersfield is nothing to be ashamed of. They will be thereabouts come the end of the season.

last year, people were shot down for saying that the teams we were beating at the start were relegation candidates.
  • Options
    Not an over-reaction to one poor result but I don't think we are good enough to go up. With the squad we have at the moment we will not be in the auromatic slots and will be very lucky to reach the play-offs. A handful of decent signings could change that dramatically but it looks too late now for this window.

Heres hoping as usual that we get at least 2 in before the window shuts and we mange to stay in touch until the next window and get the bodies in then to make a final push. As someone said earlier, Millwall made a bad start to last season but went on a late run to get promotion, with the right signings we could too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulsturgess[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]In answer to paul sturgess I went to 8 away games last year but with 3 young children I find it hard to justify disappearing from my family for the best part of a day for away trips
    In years gone by I went to 90% of away games for about 10 seasons but obviously everyones personal circumstances change
    I just can't see how our away numbers are so numerically different to other similar sized clubs
    Anyway our home numbers are fairly decent and let's hope we can hold on to them.....
    Best keep this about after match views tho, so come on those that went fill us with some hope but don't lie !!

i agree re: the similar sized clubs thing. imo certainly when we were in the prem we should have been approaching similar support to west ham - we have the whole of greenwich and bexley which should be pretty much charlton only and them two boroughs have a populatioon of more than 400k, which is far far more than the population of southampton for example, and then when you add on all of kent and bromley etc... yet our support is terrible. i guess it is competing with all the other london clubs and hence a large proportion of what should be our support follow spurs or arsenal but still find it amazing how bad our away support is especially when, as you say, our home attendances seem to be just about holding up to a reasonable level even allowing for the exaggeration of season tickets etc

Just to put this attendance thing to bed (on this thread anyway) West Ham took 1100 fans to Manchester yesterday. Yep, nearly three times as many us but pretty poor really when it's to probably the most attractive fixure in the English game. We, on the other hand were playing Huddersfield, in the third division, on a bank holiday weekend, during the holiday season. It's funny how some peoples priorities are allowed to change with family issues, finances, etc coming into play but everyone else is expected to turn up regardless and when they don't we have yet another round of negative posts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Millwall's poor start was down to a run of injuries to key players though. They had the players present in the club. The emergence of Steve Morrison made a big difference for them, and you notice they play well as a team. All the players seem to know their jobs and they play well as a unit. That hasn't happened yet this year at Charlton, but that is not a surprise given it is a relatively new team. Some patience will be required from Charlton fans and it may come together with some additions and the team geling. Maybe this year our second half of the season will be stronger ?

There is a number of problems, Pace is lacking at the centre of defence, lack of left back cover, right wing cover and a goal scorer.

Maybe Benson will fill the goal scoring slot, don't know enough about him. Would Fortune or Fry be a better partner for either Doc or Dailey ?

Putting x2 slow but good central defenders together was not probably the brightest management decision.

The creative midfield slot seems to be missing. Racon does seem to be either injured or lacking some drive. Not sure why. Maybe because it is clear, on the wages he is on, unless we are promoted that he is not going to get that again at Charlton. (Don't want to turn this into a racon thread).

Maybe 352 would be worth playing to pack the midfield ?

Was it 451 / 4411 or 442 yesterday ?

Ifs, buts and maybes though at this point.
  • Options
    Going to one of the top premiership clubs to watch your team getting a hiding, seems to be a waste of money. Worth going if you have not been to the stadium, but if money is short it is not that an attractive proposition. You spend top dollar for an uncompetitive match and your team loses.

All those complaining about the away attendance. You got to remember the economic times we live in and the fact there is a big risk of a deep recesssion and further unemployment with all the cuts coming our way. Maybe some fans are trying to rein in the spending.

I got a season ticket (and had to think hard, if I could justify the expense and time), but can't afford to go to many away games, not that I don't want to.
  • Options
    Charlton fans are living in the same economic times as every other club in the country......
    Home fan / per away fan we must have the worst away support in the country or the best home support !!
  • Options
    Thought before the goal we were the stronger side just didnt have that cutting edge to get that goal we deserved.

The first goal was down to the keeper, there was no need for him to come out of his goal like that Doherty had it covered.
    The second goal should of been a penalty, the ref gave the penatly and then they scored from the corner

The second half was por I thought, just no creativity and lack of thrust up top
  • Options
    Andy ...I was there yesterday too, am one of the oldies you refer to and am definitely not there for the "day trip" . I attend 95% of all away matches together with a small group of friends of varying ages and we go to support the team. End of.

Please don't criticise those who put their hands in their pockets to watch the lads all over the country - we know that more would be with us, family & finances etc allowing. Of course, Addicks will be at Brentford, Southampton, Brighton etc in greater numbers.....shorter journey etc. Didn't get a glimpse of many "regulars" yesterday but it is Bank Holiday weekend and not an ideal day for travelling too far. We were only a few cars away from an accident on the M1 on the way north....

It's rather difficult to create an "atmosphere" in the away end with only 405 peeps although the young drummer did his best. We all support in different ways. Just because I don't stand up all match, and shout obscenities at the ref and opposition doesn't mean I am any less passionate than those that do. AND was there a great deal to get excited about yesterday ????

Suggest you carry on supporting in YOUR way, and respect the way that others do . The fact that they're there at all should be enough.
  • Options
    Well said FF.
  • Options
    Poor support? The poster who said we had poor support should have been around back in the 70's with 4-5000 in a cavernous 70,000 capacity Valley. For us in tier 3 to be drawing in excess of 14,000 fans having endured the last 4 seasons is nothing short of a miracle......I suggest that some people need a reality check before they let their fingers touch a keyboard. Furthermore, its acknowledged that our away support isnt great, week in and week out and never has been since I started watching us play in the 60's. I dont need to come on here and look at threads which have no bearing on our support to be constantly force fed the drivel that some posters continue to drone on about.....youre boring, youre irritating, youre old news....find a new hobby.
  • Options
    I'm keeping an update of this year v last year, whereby I am taking Bournemouth as Wycombe. Based on th same fixtures as last year we are point behind where we were and that was as a resultof yesterdays game. Given that we are a lot weaker than last year thats not bad.
  • Options
    Disappointing result....but that is just it...a disappointing result. Last season we were unbeaten for a number of matches but where did we end up? I'm hoping we will come good once all the new boys get to know each other better, particularly Abbot, and then make a push for promotion at the business end of the season.

Cheer up everyone :o)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite].....youre boring, youre irritating, youre old news....find a new hobby.
    "Please". You forgot "please."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: vff[/cite]Putting x2 slow but good central defenders together was not probably the brightest management decision.
    We can't be the only team in this league lacking a bit of pace at centre back though?

Any quick centre back only playing at this level is likely to have some other big weaknesses in their game, Sam Sodje a good example.

Fortunately there aren't that many quick and consistent goalscorers in this league. I think creating chances is a bigger problem in our team at the moment than not having more pace at centre back.
  • Options
    That could be quite interesting Kap 10 as the season progresses, keep us updated!
  • Options
    seen the goals on tv, there was no reason for the keeper to come out for the first goal.
  • Options
    Yesterday it seemed to me that we had two problem areas:

Firstly when heading the ball out of defense both Daily & Mac headers were picked up by the opposition which was caused by a lack of understanding between the defense and the midfield which I'm sure they will sort out.

Secondly when an attack was mounted there was no end result - one shot on target, it seemed that Pav & Martin had very little understanding of each other, also Pav seems slow and Martin lightweight.

If PP can get in the 3 recruits he wants then I would hope that the current problems will be resolved and we should be a top six team, which with our current financial restraint is all we can expect.

Those who criticize the crowd yesterday should remember that it was a bank holiday, money is tight and people do have family commitments. Until they scored their 2nd goal we were quite noisy but did go quiet after that, but then the same does happen at the Valley with 14,000 and not 400. I had a Spurs fan with me who was very impressed with our support in the first half hour.

I'm so pleased Spurs lost!
  • Options
    Just for lookout........PLEASE
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]I'm so pleased Spurs lost!

Also got booed off as well............no..................hang on...........that can't have happened can it........we are they only supporters who ever boo a poor performance aren't we?
  • Options
    Joyless club, joyless supporters, lets hope you get what you deserve.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Joyless club, joyless supporters, lets hope you get what you deserve.

Bit silly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Joyless club, joyless supporters, lets hope you get what you deserve.

Who are you talking about? Hang on, nah, actually I really don't care.
  • Options
    How was the ref ???