Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CURBS

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
did anyone have any sympathy for Curbs on Saturday ? I didn't. I was thoroughly beaming. At last Spotty Parker's done us a favour. I was hoping that Curbs would one day return to The Valley managing say Newcastle or Boro' and he would get a rousing reception. Now, no way am I gonna clap him or cheer him. He has really peeed me off with his comments on various things since taking charge at WetSpam and quite frankly I wouldn't even give him the time of day now.

Comments

• Options
    i call him Curbishley now
  • Options
    I would not say sympathy but I concur with the statements he made regarding the confusion over the laws pertaining to off-side.

I shall give Mr Curbishley a clap when he comes out as he deserves that and more for all he has done for the institution that is CAFC

I shall also take great delight in enquiring of him "what is the score?" should our team be leading at any juncture during the tourney.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]did anyone have any sympathy for Curbs on Saturday ? I didn't. I was thoroughly beaming. At last Spotty Parker's done us a favour. I was hoping that Curbs would one day return to The Valley managing say Newcastle or Boro' and he would get a rousing reception. Now, no way am I gonna clap him or cheer him. He has really peeed me off with his comments on various things since taking charge at WetSpam and quite frankly I wouldn't even give him the time of day now.

Large- I look for your posts and know there is a nearly always a good opinion or bit of insight- maybe this one is the exception- sure his now the manager of one of our "closer" rivals, but we can't forget what he did for us and for that will always me a hero of mine.

He's got a new job now and has to say the right things for that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]did anyone have any sympathy for Curbs on Saturday ? I didn't. I was thoroughly beaming. At last Spotty Parker's done us a favour. I was hoping that Curbs would one day return to The Valley managing say Newcastle or Boro' and he would get a rousing reception. Now, no way am I gonna clap him or cheer him. He has really peeed me off with his comments on various things since taking charge at WetSpam and quite frankly I wouldn't even give him the time of day now.

I feel exactly the same. He got the send off he deserved and I applauded him for the job he did at the club but as far as I'm concerned, when he comes back on 24th February, he's just another manager of a team we must beat.

And if we in some small way contribute to his team going down, all the better.
  • Options
    with some of the stuff he's said though I've thought 'well, you'd never had said that if you were at Charlton'. He seems to defend his players, criticize his players, moan at the ref's more than he would have done for us and I get the feeling, justified or not, that he cares more for West Ham than he ever did for us and that he's forgotton us already. Just my opinion mind.
  • Options
    Agreed Stanmore
  • Options
    The important difference for me on Saturday is that Pardew clapped us the away fans and then told everyone else to come on over and do the same, Curbishley just couldn't be arsed near the end of his era and that used to wind me up.

I will clap your arrival onto the pitch and thats all
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Stanmore, I would never, ever underestimate what Mr Curbishley did for us and I'm convinced that without him we wouldn't be where we are now as a Club and for that he'll always have my gratitude. BUT he is really peeing me off now and as far as I'm concerned he's with them where he says he belongs and I'm not sure he really has any feeling for us. I do also feel that he was never really accepted by us. We now heartily sing 'Super Alan Pardew' etc but we never really got behind Curbs in the same way. He wasn't one of us, we always knew his heart belonged elsewhere and so it's proved. Anyway, do we really want to clap a manager who is about to try and relegate us?
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited January 2007
    good post large, i agree we didnt warm to curbs like say if gritty got the nod instead. I feel this factor is one of the major reasons he was never sung about, that and it being mainly impossible to sing a name like that! Just ask Mortain, they are having real struggles with his name and any song they invent for him!
  • Options
    Curbishley is a Charlton legend - FACT.

He will get a great reception from me although I obviously hope we beat them on the day.

What do people expect? He is West Ham manager now.

When he was interviewed after the Newcastle game did you expect him to say "Well im not fussed about the worst decision of the season im just happy that Charlton won."

Get real people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Give him a clap when he comes out as he deserves it but that is it. Certainly don't want to hear people singing his name and going OTT.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Curbishley is a Charlton legend - FACT.

He will get a great reception from me although I obviously hope we beat them on the day.

What do people expect? He is West Ham manager now.

When he was interviewed after the Newcastle game did you expect him to say "Well im not fussed about the worst decision of the season im just happy that Charlton won."

Get real people.

exactly!
  • Options
    This thread beggars belief.

To think some of you have labled us as "fickle fans" too makes it worse...
  • Options
    Alan who?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]with some of the stuff he's said though I've thought 'well, you'd never had said that if you were at Charlton'. He seems to defend his players, criticize his players, moan at the ref's more than he would have done for us and I get the feeling, justified or not, that he cares more for West Ham than he ever did for us and that he's forgotton us already. Just my opinion mind.

was thinking that meself on saturday, large, the ref thing especially. his comments after murphy's sending off at home to arsenal last year compared to his pop at poll and rennie the last two weeks speaks volumes.

i'll clap him before this game as i did for his last but that's it, it's all about the future.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortain[/cite]This thread beggars belief.

To think some of you have labled us as "fickle fans" too makes it worse...

Out of interest, how do you feel he's doing for you? Happy with him so far, have you improved since Pardew left?
  • Options
    Curbs is doing the job he has to- i'm sure he celebrated just as hard when we beat Wham and hurt just as badly when we lost to them. Towards the end- i'm sure he was knackered, anyone who had worked that many years without a real break would be.

Sure it seemed strange watching him go mental when they beat ManU, but that was his professional pride. The stuff regarding "where he belongs" is a rallying call to their fans. You just had to see it in his face when he made the speech at the end of the Blackburn match to see what it meant to him- that was real!
  • Options
    i can see what large is saying as we had this conversation ourselves this weekend.

i was surprised by curbs comments regarding the referee. he would hardly ever say anything contraversial or show he was annoyed by the ref or a decision. he was always calm, and took defeats on the chin and looked the same win or lose. he was visibly annoyed on saturday and as was day as he was talking to rennie at the final whistle.

that isn't to say i think he cares more for us or west ham or anything like that. just that i was surprised at him commenting on rennie's decision when he usually doesn't have a pop.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]we always knew his heart belonged elsewhere and so it's proved.

lol,he was only here 19 years!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    This Egbert character or whatever his name is will not support Curbs in the way Murray did. That was a once in a lifetime relationship. Those comments were all about letting his chairman know that two points were lost because of factors beyond his control.

Curbs worked marvels for Charlton and I for one will be applauding him as well as Peacock and Day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its only cos he is under more pressure now, maybe its getting to him a bit.

Curbs has never been in a relegation battle before that he isnt expected to be involved in.

And to be fair, that offside decision was as bad a decision as you will ever get. Rennie is being demoted according to t'internet.

All this anti West Ham stuff is ridiculous. I hope Wigan and Sheff Utd go down with Watford, give me a day on the beers at West Ham with a few mates over a 3/4 hour trip up North anyday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]i can see what large is saying as we had this conversation ourselves this weekend.

i was surprised by curbs comments regarding the referee. he would hardly ever say anything contraversial or show he was annoyed by the ref or a decision. he was always calm, and took defeats on the chin and looked the same win or lose. he was visibly annoyed on saturday and as was day as he was talking to rennie at the final whistle.

that isn't to say i think he cares more for us or west ham or anything like that. just that i was surprised at him commenting on rennie's decision when he usually doesn't have a pop.

I just think Mr Curbishley is under acute pressure - and the stress and strain is getting to him.

It was the sort of pressure he never really faced here, as he was sitting in a safe job , with a safe chairman, at a safe club.

Maybe things are a little different at your actual 'Ammers?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]And to be fair, that offside decision was as bad a decision as you will ever get. Rennie is being demoted according to t'internet.

The funniest bit about the whole episode was when he had to borrow a yellow card from his Lino!!

Agreed. I love our games against the 'Ammers! Proper Derby atmosphere unlike the games against Chelsea and Gooners (cos we know we wont win) or Fulham cos it doesn't really feel like a derby. We have much more in common with West Ham fans than probably anyone else in the PL!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]This Egbert character or whatever his name is will not support Curbs in the way Murray did. That was a once in a lifetime relationship. Those comments were all about letting his chairman know that two points were lost because of factors beyond his control.

Curbs worked marvels for Charlton and I for one will be applauding him as well as Peacock and day.

I reckon he'll get a reasonable reception but as long as it's not over the top I don't mind and understand fully people's reasons for it. I will stand impassively and then hopefully proceed to happily watch him cock it up.
  • Options
    Pards is a different type of personality to Curbishley, in that he's aggressive, looking to be on the front foot on everything he does, and has a believe in himself which Curbishley never showed.

I also found Pards interview in the Independent eye opening, that he doesn't think the club reflects his personality, and he needs to change that, almost saying that we were too nice under Curbishley, and a soft touch.
  • Options
    "I reckon he'll get a reasonable reception but as long as it's not over the top I don't mind and understand fully people's reasons for it. I will stand impassively and then hopefully proceed to happily watch him cock it up."

I cant believe im reading this.

*Sighs*
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Its only cos he is under more pressure now, maybe its getting to him a bit.

Curbs has never been in a relegation battle before that he isnt expected to be involved in.

And to be fair, that offside decision was as bad a decision as you will ever get. Rennie is being demoted according to t'internet.

All this anti West Ham stuff is ridiculous. I hope Wigan and Sheff Utd go down with Watford, give me a day on the beers at West Ham with a few mates over a 3/4 hour trip up North anyday.

I reckon the likelyhood is that one of us or WestHam will go down and I'd rather it was them. Otherwise I agree I'd much rather it were Wigan and Sheff Utd. I'm certainly not anti WestHam, don't mind 'em at all really. Different if it were Spudz though.
  • Options
    You got a link Rothko?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]"I reckon he'll get a reasonable reception but as long as it's not over the top I don't mind and understand fully people's reasons for it. I will stand impassively and then hopefully proceed to happily watch him cock it up."

*Sighs*

I can, and it's the situation both clubs are in, if we were 13th and they were about the same, we wouldn't be having this debate as Pards would still be at West Ham, and Dowie with us.

We need to win, so do they, the atmosphere needs to be red hot, and being polite to Curbishley before and during the game is something that'll have to wait
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]"I reckon he'll get a reasonable reception but as long as it's not over the top I don't mind and understand fully people's reasons for it. I will stand impassively and then hopefully proceed to happily watch him cock it up."

*Sighs*

cock it up from a perspective of losing to us of course. Interesting to see that some agree with me to a point whereas to others I'm the Charlton Life equivilent of Jade Goody !!