Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Bulgaria

Anyone going tonight? Having never been to the new Wembley and it being a friday night so a good excuse for a half day i'm going along.

One thing that annoys me though is the press giving Capello yet more stick about his team selection and how the bulk of tonights team is the same as the side that played against Germany.

The likely team is Hart, Cole, Upson, Jagielka, G. Johnson, Milner, Barry, Gerrard, Walcott, Defoe and Rooney. Whilst i wouldn't have Upson in there and i'd probably have Adam Johnson on the left instead of Milner i think you have to say that most of them are still our best players.

It's obvious the press want Capello out but i'd love to know what team they'd pick. Would the press be happy if we played the likes of Baines, Lescott, Downing and Carlton Cole?!

Comments

• Options
    I think we'd be better off with a 5 man midfield. This means you don't have anyone on the left who doesn't want to be there, and means our centre midfield is far less likely to be overrun.

Hart
    Johnson Jagielka Anyone-but-Upson Cole
    Barry Milner
    Walcott Gerrard Johnson
    Rooney

This puts noone out of position and pretty much everyone playing in the same position as they do for their club sides. Only possible exceptions are that Johnson has been more frequently playing on the right for Man City, and Milner has been out wide rather than in the centre of City's 4-3-3.
  • Options
    Maybe a 5 man midfield for the tougher games, but, apart from Berbatov, Bulgaria are pony*. It should be a handy enough win. Bulgaria are probably the fourth best team in the group, behind England, Switzerland and Wales

England 2-0 Uncle Bulgaria

* caution: I said the same about Algeria, but I've seen this Bulgaria team a few times in competitive matches. I had only seen Algeria once competitively and once in a friendly.
  • Options
    I would have the same team as Dabos with a view of having A Young on the bench to come on for the lst half hour if needs be.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Maybe a 5 man midfield for the tougher games, but, apart from Berbatov, Bulgaria are pony*. It should be a handy enough win. Bulgaria are probably the fourth best team in the group, behind England, Switzerland and Wales

England 2-0 Uncle Bulgaria

* caution: I said the same about Algeria, but I've seen this Bulgaria team a few times in competitive matches. I had only seen Algeria once competitively and once in a friendly.

It's a myth that 4-5-1 is a defensive formation. It can just as easily transition to a 4-3-3. I didn't select 4-5-1 because I feel Bulgaria are dangerous (to be honest I've no idea how good they are), I picked it because I believe it plays to the strengths of the players we have at our disposal. If you put Milner or Gerrard on the left we're immediately hindering one of our best players. Isn't Defoe due to have an operation soon, and hasn't even scored yet this season?
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]I would have the same team as Dabos with a view of having A Young on the bench to come on for the lst half hour if needs be.

He should be our first choice backup winger on either flank. He's arguably better than Adam Johnson now I come to think about it.
  • Options
    I thought Berbatov had retired from international football.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]I thought Berbatov had retired from international football.
    He has.
  • Options
    Isn't Jagielka missing this game due to a swollen ankle?
  • Options
    Couldn't help feeling a pang of remembered pain when I heard on the radio that Capello was working out who to partner Rooney with: Jermain Defoe, Darren Bent or Carlton Cole.
  • Options
    Am off to this one, really hope Upson does not play. You just know if he does play and play badly, the press will blame the fact John Terry is not playing. When imho John Terry's absence could be a blessing.
  • Options
    OK fair enough. When you talked about the midfield being overrun I assumed you were worried about Bulgaria. This match is available for the smash and grab - early goals, then hold possession to win the match.

Forgot about Berbatov's retirement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Couldn't help feeling a pang of remembered pain when I heard on the radio that Capello was working out who to partner Rooney with: Jermain Defoe, Darren Bent or Carlton Cole.

Quite. If he hasn't worked that out by now WTF has he been thinking about the last couple of years?!

EDIT: I guess what you really mean is that those players were all with us at some stage in their career. However, my point still stands!
  • Options
    Would rather see a 4 - 4 - 2 formation with Bent and Rooney, although would like to see Bent and Defoe given a go. I think England will win it 2 -0.

As for the Swiss game, I doubt it will be as easy as alot of people think (fair enough I m being biased as I m English / Swiss). The Swiss have players that are playing all over europe, relatively young squad of 25 with a couple new players who won the U17 World cup last year.
  • Options
    I am still feeling the pain of the World Cup, doubt I'll switch the tv over from east enders, I'll probably watch that while playing Football Manager 2009.
  • Options
    I'm going to this one too. I hope England put in a performance as I don't want to spend the night surrounded by booers.
  • Options
    Is Kish playing?
  • Options
    Tonights game for me is all about Bulgaria. Hopefully they are as rubbish as I think. Otherwise they will probably beat us. You can never be sure but I'll go for 3-1 or 3-0 to ENgland.
  • Options
    No interest what so ever.
    I'm boycotting England FC for the forseeable future.
  • Options
    Can the plebs like me watch or is it on Sky only?

To be honest, thinking about it, I'm not sure I want to watch England at the moment.
  • Options
    Its on itv1 len 7.30pm programme starts, with adrian chiles...
  • Options
    For my sins I'm working tonight, but going Tuesday.
    Enjoy tonight, 3-0 win England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anybody know if KISH is playing tonight???
  • Options
    Kish isn't listed in the squad on the Bulgarian FA website - BTW hope he get a proper reception when we play Brighton
  • Options
    Kish will get a massive cheer from me. 3-0 England tonight.
  • Options
    Hart; G Johnson, Dawson, Jagielka, A Cole; Walcott, Milner, Barry, Gerrard; Rooney, Defoe.
  • Options
    Danny Murphy's now a pundit???
  • Options
    No Danny Murphy is a dick.

Good goal by defoe great ball over the top from rooney.

I do not like the colour of those shorts
  • Options
    Shorts wrong colour blue.

Shirt very nice.
  • Options
    Still scratching my head over why Hart never got a game in South Africa. He just looks such a good keeper. Best we've had in a while, I'd say.
  • Options
    Still scartching my head over the whole squad selection for the world cup tbh...
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Our youth team starlet did pretty well.
    Better without fat Frank.
    Walcott disappointing.
    No Kish.
    Did they have a jerkoff or Yankoff?
    Sounds like something going on in William Hagues hotel room...allegedly.