Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players that never seemed to make individual errors

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Not saying the greatest of players, but there were plenty in the no thrills category that never seemed to do anything extraordinary, but equally no real mess ups.

Mark Bowen is one that springs to mind in this category. A clever, almost un-noticeable player who just kept it simple.

Keith Jones is another who never really seemed to make a mistake (mainly because he was pretty unadventurous in what he attempted to do)

Can think of 4 or 5 others, be interesting to see if they come up.

Comments

• Options
    Mark Kinsella, the ultimate steady Eddie in midfield. Funnily enough though, when we sold him he was just starting to show signs that the legs were getting old.....

Scott Minto, smooth as butter at left back.
  • Options
    Of the current team I'd have to say Semedo rarely seems to make mistakes. I think similarly to Keith Jones it's due to the position he plays and doesn't require too much adventurous play.
  • Options
    I know he was with us only a short time but Jorge Costa never seemed to put a foot wrong for us.
  • Options
    Miguel Llera....hold on..he is the opposite.
  • Options
    Chris Powell surely one of the most consistent players we've had in the last 10-15 years, especially his first spell here. Obviously had limitations to his game but rarely made a big error.
  • Options
    Matt Holland ?

worst - 08/09 squad
  • Options
    I know what you mean, AFKA, but a lot of coaches will tell you about the mistakes players make by failing to do something or being in the wrong position.

The mis-placed pass or failure to cut out a through-ball are obvious mistakes, but at lot of play (defensive play especially) is about preventing things happening. The attacking equivalent is creating something, so you could argue that forwards make mistakes by failing to take maximum advantage of a situation.

The purist will tell you that all goals are avoidable. So, every time a goal is scored, someone somewhere has made a mistake. Even a 40-yard volley into the top corner will depend on the scorer being allowed room and/or the keeper being slightly out of position.

A key aspect for the players who don't seem to make mistakes is that they generally have a clear idea of what they will do when the ball comes to them. If the ball comes, and if nothing has changed, they will do what they foresaw a few seconds earlier. If the ball doesn't come, no problem. And if the ball comes and a new situation has developed, they will take advantage of any new options which have been created. Sounds analytical, but top players do all that in a fraction of a second .. and usually instinctively. But in that way, they seem to have time and vision that other players lack.

Kinsella was one of the best at that for us. Chris Powell too. I love Semedo ... but he does make mistakes. Especially of the positional variety.
  • Options
    Mark Reid, John Humphrey
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Mark Reid, John Humphrey

absolutely agree with those two
  • Options
    simon webster ,keith jones ,andy peake ,steve mckenzie ,mark kinsella ,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andy Peake, he made the same mistake about twice every game - trying to shoot from 25 yards.
  • Options
    Agree with Humphrey, he was always good at going forward and linking up with whoever he had in front of him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]Andy Peake, he made the same mistake about twice every game - trying to shoot from 25 yards.

Ah, yes .....Peakie's rocket.
  • Options
    Claus Jensen.

I know that he was a brilliant, creative, non-tackling, lightweight. But his biggest "plus" was that he almost never gave the ball away. He went a long way to prove that someone who retained possession was often as useful as someone who regained it.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    David Young, sweeper (sorry, 2nd ball CB) in Andy Nelson's 70s promotion side. Unflappable.
  • Options
    Peter Reeves and Dick Tydeman....the first who came to mind though was Keithie Jones.....I would have hated playing against him...
  • Options
    Creative players always take more risks, so will generally be liable to more error of judgement.
    Sometimes it's a fine line between plaudits and brickbats.

Hypothetic example:..... tactically winger A is supposed to make his run off the ball into a wide position, once midfielder B wins posession (who's instructed to play the ball into space for that winger to run on to) .....he passes the ball perfectly on the floor, but the winger doesn't make the run. The midfielder gets dogs abuse from the crowd who only see what they think is a mis-placed pass.

But it's the winger who has failed to move or play to instruction, but the crowd won't see that - and blame the wrong player.
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs. Not once did i see that man make a mistake in a Charlton shirt. Amazing consistency!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Keith Jones made plenty of mistakes, usually after his first touch went shooting away from him.

Darren Ambrose? Never to be seen anywhere near the ball defensively, and mysteriously dissapeared offensively if someone else wasn't busting a gut to get the ball and attack. Haven't seen too many people run as much as Ambrose without getting near the opposition or their goal.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Other than not being able to take a place kick properly, Dean Kiely very rarely made errors. No doubt people will say that he couldn't take crosses very well and stayed on his goal line but that was more style of play than error. Richard Rufus?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Players who give 100% and always involved, will always make a greater number of errors than players who fitfully contribute in spells during the game and otherwise anonymous.

Kish for example ..... and on the other hand, Darren Ambrose - 2 players who did actually play in the same team together,
    Kish would always make more mistakes, simply because he was involved more.

Law of averages.
  • Options
    Kish made LOADS of mistakes and silly ones at that - but in the same way he did make lots of important interceptions - however his mistakes seems to always result in an opposition goal.

Rufus didn't make many mistakes, same with John Humphrey. Mark Reid DID make mistakes.

I don't remember Bob Bolder making too many either.
  • Options
    To be fair to Luke Young I can't recall too many glaring errors. I seem to remember him struggling a bit after her first signed but once he settled was very much a Steady Eddie right back.
  • Options
    i disagree about rufus, one of our best defenders ever dont get me wrong but he was prone to a mistake, especially in our first ever premiership season.
  • Options
    Bolder, Humphrey, Powell, Flannagan, Johns, Melrose, Williams, Jones K, Jensen, Parker, Crooks, Bowen, Reid M, Reid A, MacKenzie S, Dailly, Robinson J, Newton, Webster, Kiely, Hunt, Kinsella, Rufus, Walsh, Minto, Murphy, Whyte D....all made a few mistakes, but all were/are consistent performers at their relevant levels.
  • Options
    Can't remember Kiely making too many glaring mistakes, granted there were a couple (Swindon home for example) and there were goals that he could have done better with but compared to a lot of the other Premiership keepers, but was generally very consistent.

Darren Bent aswell.
  • Options
    Graham Stuart was very consistent one of Curb's inspired signings.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Bolder, Humphrey, Powell, Flannagan, Johns, Melrose, Williams, Jones K, Jensen, Parker, Crooks, Bowen, Reid M, Reid A, MacKenzie S, Dailly, Robinson J, Newton, Webster, Kiely, Hunt, Kinsella, Rufus, Walsh, Minto, Murphy, Whyte D....all made a few mistakes, but all were/are consistent performers at their relevant levels.
    David Whyte? Consistent? For half a season maybe...
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs.

Not one single bad pass, stray ball, bad tackle.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]Cory Gibbs.

Not one single bad pass, stray ball, bad tackle.....

Mega LOLZ