Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players that never seemed to make individual errors

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Can't really remember Luke Young ever making a mistake?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Mark Reid, John Humphrey

Nitpicking I know and Reidy was a fantastic player for us, but I've never forgiven him for smacking that penalty against the post v Palace in '89! So one (major) error in about 250 games is OK I suppose.
  • Options
    Omar Pouso
  • Options
    Chris Perry
  • Options
    Rufus scored quite a few own goals, and did that inexplicable handball v Coventry at home. So he definitely made a mistake at one point or another :)
  • Options
    A bit of selective memory and rose-tinted specs going on here, me thinks!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nicholas[/cite]I know he was with us only a short time but Jorge Costa never seemed to put a foot wrong for us.

His knee back to kylie was total quality... avoided the foul for the pass back... genius... against southampton I think?
  • Options
    Colin Pates... we didnt have him very long on loan form arsenal, but was solid I thought.... long time ago mind...
  • Options
    Allan Simonsen, although he might have made one or two career mistakes!
  • Options
    Darren Bent.. all he had to do was score goals, and tuck his penalties away. And he did that ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd agree with whoever said Graham Stuart.

Bit of an obscure one, but Steve Gatting didn't make too many mistakes.
  • Options
    How on gods green earth has this thread got to 40 odd posts?

Bloody delusional the lot of ya.
  • Options
    Christian Bolaños, played a blinder in pre-season against New Zealand in 2006. Meant to be with us on a year long loan from Deportivo Saprissa. However, he failed to gain a work permit and the deal fell through. Top player he would have been for us. Bolaños now plays for FC Copenhagen.
  • Options
    Humphrey was the perfect full back. Athletic, strong, pacy, solid and completely no-frills. Just what you want in a full back.
    Luke young and power made great careers from being no-frills too. Rock steady eddie is the way forward every time
  • Options
    Peter Reeves ,one clubman and if in any trouble kick the ball as far up The East Terrace as it would go.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]........ and if in any trouble kick the ball as far up The East Terrace as it would go.

The equivalent of 'Row Z' in pre East Stand days ....?

Good to see you again at Exeter, mate!
  • Options
    I'd go with Andy Peake - other than the attempted shots on goal (those in row z duck!) he was a consistently accurate passer of the ball. In the St. Andrews play-off final vs Leeds he cut them to shreds and dominated their midfield and set up one of Peter Shirtliff's goals. We remember the game for Shirtliff's goals - but Andy Peake produced a masterclass that day and in intimidating circumstances - not just the Leeds fans, but quite a few of their players put the boot in and left it there when going for tackles.

Colin Walsh - another accurate passer/crosser.
  • Options
    Colin Pates was one of ours, bought from Chelsea and sold to Arsenal.

I thought Simon Webster, probably bought to replace Pates, was one of our most consistent defenders. worked well with the more mistake prone but hard-working Stuart Sweaty Balmer.
  • Options
    Blackforest is right....Charlton's passing against Leeds at St Andrews was superb and Peake had a fine match. I can remember thinking I hadn't seen us look so good is possession but couldn't work out how we created so few clear openings.

As an aside...if we had been playing in front of decent home crowds every week, there was no reason why that team (and the one that evolved from it) couldn't have finished halfway up Division One. We had a brilliant keeper (Bolder) really good defenders (Reid, Humphrey, Shirtliff, Miller, Pates, Caton) really good midfielders (Peake, Walsh, Mackenzie) skillful, exciting young players (Lee, Stuart, Mortimer and Bennett) and excellent forwards (Melrose, Crooks and Williams). But the savage injuries to Walsh really harmed the team, just when it looked like we were starting to break through to the next level. Of course, we didn't have the finances to to enlarge the squad, so there were times when it looked very thin but these were good players, who tried to entertain and were well managed.