Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Support Bands You Ever Saw

Following on from the Worst Live Bands threads where there were plenty of mentions of support band outshining the headliners which were the best support bands you've seen.

The Jam supporting Little Bob Story at the Marquee

And Aztec Camera supporting two ex-Specials at the LSE

Comments

• Options
    The Verve supporting Oasis at Earls Court circa 95/96 ?
  • Options
    Alannah Myles supporting a crap set by Robert Plant.......one hit wonder Black Velvet was astounding.
  • Options
    Kasabian Supporting Oasis last summer
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]The Verve supporting Oasis at Earls Court circa 95/96 ?

was also at this ! Verve were great
  • Options
    The Animals supporting The Police at the Empire Pool, Wembley, 31 December 1983.
  • Options
    the cult and waterboys supporting simple minds at milton keynes bowl in 1986 what a great day.
  • Options
    The Damned, who supported T.Rex in 1977...

"New Rose" ... Great 3 chord rocker!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91rAHIb8BwY
  • Options
    Will Haven supporting Deftones at the Astoria in 1998. Deftones were poor live back in those days (they're awesome now), but even at their best they would have been upstaged.

The daddy of them has to be Sepultura laughably supporting some crummy Krautthrash band (Sodom) back in (i think) 1990 at the Marquee. Absolutely blew them off the stage.
  • Options
    The Mighty Quo, supporting Queen, Knebworth 86, blew them away.

Chas n Dave, supporting Quo at Shithurst Park 84, same...!
  • Options
    DevilDriver supporting for In Flames at the Astoria, was so impressed went and saw DD play at the Camden Underworld a few nights later, loved em ever since! Miles, miles better than the garbage that Coal Chamber became!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Faith No More (support for Guns N roses)
    INXS (support for Status Quo/Queen)
    The Duke Spirit (support for Duran Duran)
    L7 (support for Faith No More)
  • Options
    Chas n Dave supporting The Libertines at Brixton Academy, their encore was Snooker Loopy :-)
  • Options
    West Stand - Chas n Dave did a song simply entitled 'Bollocks', a winner!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Will Haven supporting Deftones at the Astoria in 1998. Deftones were poor live back in those days (they're awesome now), but even at their best they would have been upstaged.

The daddy of them has to be Sepultura laughably supporting some crummy Krautthrash band (Sodom) back in (i think) 1990 at the Marquee. Absolutely blew them off the stage.

I was at the Deftones gig as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Will Haven supporting Deftones at the Astoria in 1998. Deftones were poor live back in those days (they're awesome now), but even at their best they would have been upstaged.

I was at the Deftones gig as well.
    As soon as Will Haven came on (they opened with 'I've Seen My Fate') I was absolutely fucking awestruck. Seen them every time they've been over since - even when they turned up with Jaworski on vocals after Grady left. Apparently Grady's back in the band now and they're shopping demos round looking for a label. Deftones have improved immeasurably since then - Chino's voice is a lot better than it was. The ULU gig earlier this year was the best show I've been to in years.
  • Options
    The Charlatans supporting Oasis at Finsbury Park in 02.
  • Options
    The Fratellis. Only because I hadn't heard of them at the time and the main act was dreadful, I think it might have been Kasabian.
  • Options
    Arena shows should be banned here, they're mini-festivals.

I think I saw Metallica supporting someone, maybe Anthrax. Or it could have been the other way round, in which case not so good. I saw Bon Jovi's first tour in the UK supporting Kiss. Also saw Hanoi Rocks as a support act. None of these quite match up to the Jam at the Marquee though.
  • Options
    Top of my head, Nirvana supporting Mudhoney was a good one.
  • Options
    Loads but a couple that spring to mind.

Van halen supporting Black Sabbath

Joy Divison supporting The Cure
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anti - Nowhere League supporting the Damned on numerous occasions
  • Options
    Queens of the Stone Age supporting Foo Fighters, Hyde Park about 5 years ago
  • Options
    I suppose it was Genesis supporting Lindisfarne (though Lindisfarne were good as well) at the Coliseum and Lewisham Odeon.
  • Options
    The Smiths supporting The Fall at Electric Ballroom Camden spring 1983. Got a booty recording of it too as we had a spare tape. Long gone...
  • Options
    Wonk Unit supporting the Anti Nowhere League.
  • Options
    Happy Mondays supporting The Jasmine Minks at The Black Horse in Camden.
    The Smiths supporting Howard DeVoto at the Lyceum
    Manic Street Preachers supporting The Claim at a pub on Great Portland Street (they weren't particularly good actually).
  • Options
    Already been mentioned... but Sepultura supporting Sodom at the Marquee was awesome... Sodom were and still are a great band, but on the day there was only going to be one winner...
    Metallica supporting Metal Church at the Marquee, or Downset supporting Biohazard.... nearly as painful as the mighty Napalm Death supporting Obituary... ouch.

Haven't been on here for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages..... this one was too good to miss though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: World of Woe[/cite]Already been mentioned... but Sepultura supporting Sodom at the Marquee was awesome... Sodom were and still are a great band, but on the day there was only going to be one winner...
    Metallica supporting Metal Church at the Marquee, or Downset supporting Biohazard.... nearly as painful as the mighty Napalm Death supporting Obituary... ouch.

Haven't been on here for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages..... this one was too good to miss though
    Obituary are a killer live band - but chucking Napalm Death on the bill underneath them in the UK was a mistake. This was the show at the Astoria you're referring to, right?
  • Options
    Quo at Live Aid!

(They werent expected to but outperformed pretty much everyone, bar Queen, on a day when the whole world witnessed that most 'popular' bands were awful live).
  • Options
    Mudhoney supporting Sonic Youth 1988
    Oasis supporting Boo Radleys 1994
    The Boy Hairdressers (became Teenage Fanclub) supporting The Pastels 1987

Loads more I have forgotten in the mists of time