Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Support Bands You Ever Saw

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Quo at Live Aid!

(They werent expected to but outperformed pretty much everyone, bar Queen, on a day when the whole world witnessed that most 'popular' bands were awful live).
    Huh??
  • Options
    Nirvana at the Astoria.

Were actually 3rd on the bill to L7 & Godflesh.

The place erupted when they played Negative Creep. They were supposed to be on for 35mins but did nearly an hour.
  • Options
    Just thought of another....
    Loreena McKennit supporting Mike Oldfield
  • Options
    Squeeze. Supported Dr Feelgood at the Hammersmith Odeon late 77/early 78. They were great, but I must admit that the Feelgoods blew them away - original line up!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: World of Woe[/cite]Already been mentioned... but Sepultura supporting Sodom at the Marquee was awesome... Sodom were and still are a great band, but on the day there was only going to be one winner...
    Metallica supporting Metal Church at the Marquee, or Downset supporting Biohazard.... nearly as painful as the mighty Napalm Death supporting Obituary... ouch.

Haven't been on here for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages..... this one was too good to miss though[/quote]
    Obituary are a killer live band - but chucking Napalm Death on the bill underneath them in the UK was a mistake. This was the show at the Astoria you're referring to, right?[/quote]

Yeah thats the one.... had torn a muscle in my ankle playing football and was strapped up from toe to my knee, spent the entire time laying waste to the pit whilst on my mates shoulders... Campaign for Musical Destruction if I remember rightly....
    Saw Obituary recently support Amon Amarth... and they did nothing for me, which was a shame as I was really loooking forward to it :o(
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Quo at Live Aid!

(They werent expected to but outperformed pretty much everyone, bar Queen, on a day when the whole world witnessed that most 'popular' bands were awful live).[/quote]

Yes agreed!!!! Except the Queen bit 'cos I hate queen!!
  • Options
    as already mentioned, Van Haven / Black Sabbath: Dave Lee Roth was awesome. Genesis / Lindisfarne at Lewisham.

Paul McCartney and Elton John 'supporting' Pink Floyd at Knebworth.

Terraplane supporting Twisted Sister at the Lyceum. (far better live than on record)

Slade halfway down the bill at the Reading festival
  • Options
    Another for Kasabian last year, supporting Oasis.
    Foals were awesome too supporting Blur, Hyde Park last year.

Was looking forward to The Enemy but they pulled out last minute :(
  • Options
    The Truth supporting The Kinks at the Hammersmith Pally in 1984

Joe Strummer supporting The Who at Wembley Arena in 2000 (?)

as for the other Thread.........couldn't think of a bad gig that i'd been to, but then I don't go to that many.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ocean Colour Scene supporting the execrable Jesus Jones (don't ask I was dragged along against my will!) OCS were great, Jesus Jones shhhhiiittttee!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Natural life supported the farm at the astoria I think top group came to nothing though
  • Options
    Clint Boon Experience supporting Travis. Boon was excellent although Travis were pretty good too.
  • Options
    I tend not to watch support bands but Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers were very good - I think it was Tina Turner. One of my best gigs of all time Tom Petty in a small venue in Chicago.
  • Options
    Dire Straights supporting The Who - Lewisham Odeon.
    Chas n Dave (plus others) supporting Led Zep - Knebworth.
    U2 supporting someone i cannot remember - London
  • Options
    Van Halen supporting Sabbath

Ted Nugent supporting Judas Priest.

Lemmy + others supporting Girls School (though to be honest I didn't go to watch them for their musical abilities)
  • Options
    Jellyfish supporting INXS (1991; Wembley Stadium)
  • Options
    The YardBirds supporting The Zombies (Croydon, Fairfield Halls: 2008)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Jellyfish supporting INXS (1991; Wembley Stadium)

thats more like it

great support band i think their first album was bellybutton or something ridiculous like that
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Jellyfish supporting INXS (1991; Wembley Stadium)[/quote]

thats more like it

great support band i think their first album was bellybutton or something ridiculous like that[/quote]

I was there that day too. If my memory serves me right Blondie and Hothouse Flowers were the other bands on stage.

I couldn't agree more NLA. Jellyfish were absolute class and Bellybutton would be in my all time top 10 albums.
  • Options
    Joy Division supporting The Buzzcocks, at the Finsbury Park Rainbow 1978. Ian Curtis RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestSussexAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Jellyfish supporting INXS (1991; Wembley Stadium)

thats more like it

great support band i think their first album was bellybutton or something ridiculous like that

I was there that day too. If my memory serves me right Blondie and Hothouse Flowers were the other bands on stage.

I couldn't agree more NLA. Jellyfish were absolute class and Bellybutton would be in my all time top 10 albums.

SummerXS: Also on the bill: Jesus Jones and Roachford: Oh dear!

I brought BellyButton on the strength of their performace - great album... "she still loves him".
  • Options
    Lynyrd Skynyrd supporting the Rolling Stones at Knebworth in 1976.
  • Options
    Cornelius supporting Air.
  • Options
    Kid British supporting The Specials in Manchester...the place was rocking.