Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lemon Puffs

2»

Comments

• I would not pay a squid for a flake ever
  • Lemon puffs, now made by Jacobs, although only seen them in Sainsburys. They are round now rather than rectangular but still quality :-) In the "Royal Family" of biscuits for me.
  • Nice cup of tea and a sit down.com is the pre eminent site for biscuit reviews.
    Laugh out loud funny at times
    The archive of biscuit reviews is here - can see the lemon puffs though
    http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/archive.php3
  • Used to be able to get a tiny amount of salt in a little square, blue bag. But here's the thing: the blue bag was buried inside an "outer bag". And, get this, that bag was also full of fried slices of potato!

Can't for the life of me remember what it was called.
  • The staple diet when at secondry school was a quater of strawberry millions in one blazer pocket and a bag of tangy toms in the other pocket. Jamie oliver would be so proud.
  • This thread is practically all of Peter Kays stand up 'comedy'

Who remembers Spangles zzzzzzzzzzz
  • Adam

Mine was sherbert bombs in one 10 Benson in the other explains why we look like we do
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]What about the round things you used to get 3 in a packet and they were hard to start with and ended up as chewing gum

I remember something that came in packets of three but I think you've got the bit about chewing gum and being hard at the start the wrong way around.

I was only 10. They were gone soon after i left the shop - shame i couldn't say the same about the packs of 3 i bought later in the decade.
    Dan's right, I remember them. It was like a gob stopper with a bubble gum centre.

Like gfobstoppers but they were called Jaw breakers i think - although Henry is referring to a different type of stopper.'
  • What was the crisps called with the salt thingy in it
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]This thread is practically all of Peter Kays stand up 'comedy'

Who remembers Spangles zzzzzzzzzzz

Know what you mean, we'll be on to childrens programmes of the 70's soon but i'm that bored at work today i'll talk about anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• You used to get things called crisps, they would have a twist of blue paper in the bag with them that contained salt. Some clever person then came up with 'ready salted' crisps to save you having to do all that untwisting and shaking lark. Then someone else came up with the idea of putting the salt in a little sealed pouch of blue paper that you could tear open and shake the salt over the crisps from. The time just rolls away with inventions and progress like that!
  • edited September 2010
    Marketing' Don't yah just love it' or as I like to say 'flogging shit to shitheads!'
  • Bovril Crisps
    Tomato Sauce crisps
    Bags of Gold (chewing gum)
    Sweet Tobacco
    Pacers
    Old Jamaca chocolate
  • Was it Smiths Crisps?
  • Hmmm bags of gold and sweet tobacco were two of my favourites, probably explains why I am shiite with money and addicted to nicotine now.
  • edited September 2010
    Well, when I were young we used to get bags of broken biscuits from t' grocers at a tanner a bag. Sweets were pretty rare until rationing finishd in '51/52 then we couldn't get enough of them. Probably explains why so many of my generation have got false teeth! The original 'Weston's' wagon wheels were great, and almost as big as real ones: FACT!
  • I used to love Tudor Pickled Onion crisps, but I think they were not down sarf only oop north!

Wonder if Sainsbury's will sell out of Lemon Puffs this weekend
  • Chocolate cigs!
  • Bazooka Joe's, the penny chews, that used to have a miniature comic strip inside the wrapper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mojo's the half penny chew
  • ohhhhh and what about Ben Shaws and Barr 1 litre pop bottles that gave a 10p back on bottle. as kids in the late 70's if we collected about 4 bottles we could get another free bottle.
  • Did we ever get to the bottom of those crisps that had a blue packet of powder that tasted salty. That you could shake in to the bag.

Powder crisps shake?
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Did we ever get to the bottom of those crisps that had a blue packet of powder that tasted salty. That you could shake in to the bag.

Powder crisps shake?

They were called the shake n snack. you do the shake n snack and put the saltiness back............
  • Bazooka bubblegum - I think they they had a little cartoon wrapped around them.
  • Banjo - nutty chocky bicky things
    Yoggo - chewy yoghurt chewy things
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]The original 'Weston's' wagon wheels were great, and almost as big as real ones: FACT!

Surely it wasn't that long ago when one could enjoy a wagon wheel at the Valley!

Anyone else remember Jamboree bags?
  • The crisps that came with a packet of salt so you could add your own seasoning.

Salt n crisps, I think they were called.
  • Yes, you could get wagon wheels at the Valley but they were made by Burtons and were a poor imitation of the original Westons.

Moving up the culinary scale slightlu: Lyons individual fruit pies. The adverts showed them overflowing with lovely fruit, whilst in reality all you got was some sort of sticky jam lying on the bottom of the pie. Had my first one at that little caff that used to be on Bostall Heath: Apricot flavour (sort of), my mum wouldn't have them in the house!