Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot injured

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
It does appear that Rob has injured an arm although if has not been confirmed how severely. This info came from q member of staff at the club.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]It does appear that Rob has injured an arm although if has not been confirmed how severely. This info came from q member of staff at the club.

"q"? I thought he worked with James Bond?!!

I'll get me coat.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    On OS now. Out for 4 weeks.
  • Options
    In the photo on the OS he looks like the saddest man ever.
    Poor Robbie.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [/url]Charlton have been dealt a sizable blow in the build-up to Saturday's trip to Tranmere Rovers with the news goalkeeper Rob Elliot faces another spell on the sidelines.

The 24-year-old, who saved a penalty from Lee Hughes during Saturday's 1-0 Valley victory against Notts County, has chipped a bone in his left elbow.

Elliot fell awkwardly in training on Tuesday and X-rays revealed the injury, which will keep him out of action for around a month.

It leaves Phil Parkinson with Ross Worner as the only senior stopper on the club's books so The Valley boss is looking to bring in a replacement on loan.

"Obviously the news is a big blow," said Phil. "As soon as I saw Rob holding his elbow in some discomfort the alarm bells sounded.

"We've got Ross, who has done well since he has been here, but we need to bring in another keeper to cover us before the weekend and I'm working hard to make that happen."

Elliot was only on the bench for the trip to Huddersfield Town on August 28th after a recurrence of the back spasms that sidelined him towards the end of last season left him unable to don the gloves from the start.

The keeper then sat out the Johnstone's Paint Trophy clash against Dagenham & Redbridge as Worner kept his first clean sheet in a 1-0 Addicks win, but he returned between the posts at Exeter City on September 4th.

And on Saturday he stuck out a leg to deny Hughes from 12 yards 15 minutes from time and that proved a pivotal moment as substitute Joe Anyinsah grabbed the winner in the closing stages.

Elliot, a boyhood Addicks fan, has made 67 appearances for the club and his penalty save came against a County side for whom he made a debut in senior football while on loan from Charlton in 2005.

[/url]
  • Options
    Oh dear!

Interesting to see who we will get on loan, Ben Alnick seems a decent shout.
  • Options
    Gawd, just whats required, I hope we get a good loanee in
  • Options
    Scezney fron Arsenal would be a great loan, did well at Brentford last season, was on the bring of joining Yeovil on loan pre-season.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    "We've got Ross, who has done well since he has been here, but we need to bring in another keeper to cover us before the weekend and I'm working hard to make that happen."

Cover Robbie or so Worner can be cover

it better be the first one because Worner is not ready
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Scezney fron Arsenal would be a great loan, did well at Brentford last season, was on the bring of joining Yeovil on loan pre-season.

Great shout, excellent keeper and Brentford fans seemed to really like him, he did have one absolute mare (MK Dons I think at Griffin Park) but still very young and many think he has a chance of playing in the Prem in the not to distant future. Not in the Arsenal team and sure Wenger would not mind sending him here for a month or two. Guaranteed first team football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Scezney fron Arsenal would be a great loan, did well at Brentford last season, was on the bring of joining Yeovil on loan pre-season.

Great shout, excellent keeper and Brentford fans seemed to really like him, he did have one absolute mare (MK Dons I think at Griffin Park) but still very young and many think he has a chance of playing in the Prem in the not to distant future. Not in the Arsenal team and sure Wenger would not mind sending him here for a month or two. Guaranteed first team football.

The odd mare is nothing to worry about; there's no such thing as a League 1 player who doesn't have one once in a while
  • Options
    Chipped a bone in his elbow - 4 weeks? Would have thought its longer than that but here's hoping.
  • Options

Great shout, excellent keeper and Brentford fans seemed to really like him, he did have one absolute mare (MK Dons I think at Griffin Park) but still very young and many think he has a chance of playing in the Prem in the not to distant future. Not in the

With keepers like that, i'm sure Wenger would prefer he came on a season long loan playing all the time, not just a few weeks and a couple of games. He can do that in the reserves.
  • Options
    Well depend on who we can afford I guess or since it's Richard Murray funding the deficit this season how much he can afford.

At least it is only four weeks.

Get better soon Robbie
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    4 Charlton weeks.
    Youga, Poole, Rowett, spring to mind.

Ah well at least it's realatively easy to get decent keepers.
  • Options
    This was my fear when we signed Worner and passed on Marshall.

My immediate thoughts are Alnwick or Scezney and if it is a Keeper of that quality then Worner will be on the Bench.Its a shame but Jason Brown recently went to Leeds on loan to cover them.

I suspect Spurs would like to keep Alnwick playing Football so this might be the more likely move.It would suit both parties .Wenger may want Scezney for Carling Cup duties although he would be my first choice.

Likewise although Andy Marshall has signed for Villa again I'm sure the idea of him playing regularly for a month (or maybe two) might appeal.What about
    Peter Gulasci the young Hungarian at Liverpool ? He played for both Hereford and Tranmere last year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]

Great shout, excellent keeper and Brentford fans seemed to really like him, he did have one absolute mare (MK Dons I think at Griffin Park) but still very young and many think he has a chance of playing in the Prem in the not to distant future. Not in the

With keepers like that, i'm sure Wenger would prefer he came on a season long loan playing all the time, not just a few weeks and a couple of games. He can do that in the reserves.

Do Arsenal have a reserves anymore?
  • Options
    Alnick has been at Spurs for about 3/4 years and has not pulled up any trees, arguably 4th choice keeper and I am aure Redknapp would be interested in offloading him if a team is interested. We could not afford him permanently, nor do we need him but a loan spell with us would at least put him in the shop window more so than playing reserve football would.
  • Options
    I don't think plucking a player from the PFA freebie list would be a very good option because it'll be unlikely they are fit enough. Can't imagine training on your own would keep you sufficiently fit. Therefore a PL loanee may be the best bet.
  • Options
    Getting Marshall back would be great, I don't feel Worner is ready.

This is a spanner in the works, a first team keeper in please Parky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36370

parky said when he signed worner that we could bring in an 'experienced' keeper in the event of injuries?! i wouldnt say alnwick or szczesny were really experienced, but then they're both more experienced than worner i suppose....
  • Options
    Deano...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Deano...

What a great shout

god i would love the main man back in between the sticks and i reckon he would do it
  • Options
    Deano is goalkeeping coach at WBA, he is still registered as a player but cannot see them letting their coach down here on loan.
  • Options
    I am a fan of Parky and especially the way he has worked the transfer market.

However, I said at the start of the season and maintain that he has dropped a clanger by not getting an experienced keeper.

1) I dont think Elliott is good enough (minority view) - good save on Saturday but how many others did he still flap at.
    2) We will be stuck with a non league keeper on Saturday, as we were at Huddersfield which isnt good enough.

He should have signed an experienced keeper to at least put proper pressure on Elliott (doesnt have to be expensive, someone like Simon Royce)

Fear this area will cost us points this season.
  • Options
    I suppose the view was that if Elliot gets injured, in the current climate -bringing in a replacement shouldn't be too hard. Now we have the chance to see if that policy was correct? I suspect we will bring in somebody of the calibre we could reasonably have expected in reserve.

Real blow though after Saturday's performance where Elliot was immense.
  • Options
    Great...
  • Options
    Get well soon Robbie x
  • Options
    Well I thought Robbo was MOM on Saturday, so a blow.....

Deano on a loan, yes please......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]However, I said at the start of the season and maintain that he has dropped a clanger by not getting an experienced keeper.
    Might be completely wrong but get the feeling he took the gamble on Worner, hoping Elliot could stay fit, which meant perhaps there was a little more to spend elsewhere (eg up front?)

Still like you say, there were surely a few decent but cheap older keepers out there.

I think he might well get someone before Saturday.