Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luke Daniels from WBA is loan keeper

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Reasonable keeper for a 22 year old.

Comments

• ...so we asked about Deano, they said 'no but you can have.....'

never heard of him, but we desperately needed someone!!
  • The Deano connection paid off, obviously. Done a season with Shrewsbury and a season with Tranmere (was it him we put four past last year?!). According to Wiki he was supposed to be going to Bristol Rovers on loan this season, but a back injury put paid to that...
  • 6 foot 4, full league 1 season under his belt last year and has represented England at U19 level.

Looks good, but we'll have to wait and see. Will start above Worner.
  • Not sure about this one..........obvious pedigree having started his (fledgling) career at Man U but last 5 seasons has been at WBA but never played for them, not even a cup game. Spent last season at Tranmere wherte we even put 4 past him at their place............I was at that game and can't say I came away singing his praises.

Ultimately I feel we are the architects of our own un-doing. Decided to let Randolph go and thought we would get by with a loanee should Elliot get an injury and hoping we would not need to, but just a month into the season and we have already played a rookie keeper in 1 game and lost and now throwing in another.............

If Parky wanted to play this game I feel he should have had something a little better up his sleeve - at least had a contingency plan and have a keeper or two in mind......I'm sure their are better out there.
  • I thought we offered Randolph a contract which he turned down because it did not guarantee him the starting place.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Not sure about this one..........obvious pedigree having started his (fledgling) career at Man U but last 5 seasons has been at WBA but never played for them, not even a cup game. Spent last season at Tranmere wherte we even put 4 past him at their place............I was at that game and can't say I came away singing his praises.

Ultimately I feel we are the architects of our own un-doing. Decided to let Randolph go and thought we would get by with a loanee should Elliot get an injury and hoping we would not need to, but just a month into the season and we have already played a rookie keeper in 1 game and lost and now throwing in another.............

If Parky wanted to play this game I feel he should have had something a little better up his sleeve - at least had a contingency plan and have a keeper or two in mind......I'm sure their are better out there.

As I've said elsewhere we currently have six Centre Backs (Dailly, Docherty, Fortune, Llera, Fry and Mambo) plus Semedo who can play there but only one Keeper Parky has faith in.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I thought we offered Randolph a contract which he turned down because it did not guarantee him the starting place.

LOL Who told you that?
  • Parky couldn'd prevent Randolph leaving but should have got someone with more experience than rookie Worner. Probably wasn't given any funds for that,
    so can't blame him really.
  • "As I've said elsewhere we currently have six Centre Backs (Dailly, Docherty, Fortune, Llera, Fry and Mambo) plus Semedo who can play there but only one Keeper Parky has faith in."

Dailly - currently injured
    Doc - gettting on a bit, no guarantee will manage a full season
    Fortune - struggling to get fit, reportedly on a pay as you play contract
    Llera - has his moments ;-)
    Fry - also left back cover, inexperienced, relativly cheap - could be a bargain
    Mambo - still to make step up from a youth player

Doesn't feel like we have too many to me...
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I thought we offered Randolph a contract which he turned down because it did not guarantee him the starting place.

LOL Who told you that?

fairly certain it was on the OS
  • I think it was Luke Daniels who played from West Brom at the Hawthorns against us when he was about 18 and he had a bit of a nightmare and a proper soft shot squirmed through him. It was our relagation season from the prem and I'm sure that we lost the game after being in front. Could be wrong though!
  • http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36223&newstype=p

of course Airman could be putting more club spin on it and the club could be lying.
  • I can't imagine Parky has got his first choice in. I suspect he probably did have something better up his sleeve but for reasons unknown it didn't come off.
  • your wrong, it was luke steele in goal that game.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]"As I've said elsewhere we currently have six Centre Backs (Dailly, Docherty, Fortune, Llera, Fry and Mambo) plus Semedo who can play there but only one Keeper Parky has faith in."

Dailly - currently injured
    Doc - gettting on a bit, no guarantee will manage a full season
    Fortune - struggling to get fit, reportedly on a pay as you play contract
    Llera - has his moments ;-)
    Fry - also left back cover, inexperienced, relativly cheap - could be a bargain
    Mambo - still to make step up from a youth player

Doesn't feel like we have too many to me...

So, if Fortune is "struggling to get fit" and Doherty is "getting on a bit" who is responsible for giving them contracts. In any case Doherty isn't as old as he looks (he's 30) and played 44 games for Norwich last season.
  • The Dean Kiely dream was to good to come true then... Gutted !
  • Welcome to Luke. Likely to be Addick 714.

As he's been coached by Deano I expect a demon shot stopper who kicks the ball out of touch a lot : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Welcome to Luke. Likely to be Addick 714.

As he's been coached by Deano I expect a demon shot stopper who kicks the ball out of touch a lot : - )

Spot on - I still shout "dean-o" when that happens!
  • Played for Tranmere last season, someone has just texted me
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Played for Tranmere last season, someone has just texted me

Well they were poor so he got lots of practice. 37 games including both games v us so already knows about the cauldron that is The Valley.

Debut v his old club possibly.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36223&newstype=p
    />
    of course Airman could be putting more club spin on it and the club could be lying.

Its Parky's words (not Airman's spin) and Parky uses the words "I think".

And just for the record this is what Craig Brown said:

Brown had played down his interest in the goalkeeper earlier this week but said: "Things have moved very quickly over the last 24 hours and we're delighted to have Darren on board.

"He'll compete against Lee Hollis for the number one spot and that's healthy competition to have."

So who's telling the truth?
  • Let's move on from the Ikeme/Randolph debate . I don't think it is a surprise that the parent club would want their young keeper to play in the first team but I suspect they would not have put this in the contract , but the subtle pressure is there and like Scott Sinclair and Chelsea they could be recalled after the first month and Wolves may not have done us a similar favour again.

This is Daniels's biography on the PFA site

Luke Daniels is a young goalkeeper currently signed to West Bromwich Albion. Luke began his career at Manchester United before joining Albion in the summer of 2004. He has played on several occasions for the Albion youth side and has enjoyed loan spells with SPL side Motherwell and Shrewsbury Town, for whom he played in the 2009 League Two play-off final at Wembley. Luke is currently on loan with League One side Tranmere Rovers and has become a first-team regular. Noted for his aerial dominance and shot-stopping ability, Luke has made over 70 senior appearances and played twice for the England U18 side.
  • Happy with this. Not as exciting as a name but then Fry looks a decent player doesn't he? When we beat Tranmere 4-0 they had an awful manager in John Barnes.

West Brom obviously rate him, they gave him a new 2 year contract. No shame in being back up for Carson and Kiely. Bit like Mambo for us, club rate him but have been getting him out on loan as he needs games.

As for the centre back debate, we finally have good numbers there. Dailly, Doherty, Llera and Fortune our main options. Fry is cheap cover in two positions and it's not yet clear what is his best - I've read things saying he's both mainly a CB and better at left back. With Youga out Fry was a good signing.

Semedo is one of our first choice midfielders, it's a good thing we have 4 main options plus Fry meaning we can use him in his best position.

Then we've got Mambo - if we had let him go people would be saying we've made a mistake. He's just gone on loan today, won't be on a big contract and is hopefully one for the future.
  • CommentAuthorSaga Lout CommentTime39 minutes ago quote# 15
    I can't imagine Parky has got his first choice in. I suspect he probably did have something better up his sleeve but for reasons unknown it didn't come off.

http://www.wba.co.uk/page/News/0,,10366~2156835,00.html

parky said he'd watched a keeper on wednesday so that fits if daniels had played for their reserves. probably was parky's first choice to bring in
  • My £0.02 is that he is a great goalkeeper

I was following him last season and he was getting rave reviews at Tranmere. Would think he'll be number one and a very good one at that!
  • [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite][url=http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36223&newstype=p<br]http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36223&newstype=p
    [/url]/>

Its Parky's words (not Airman's spin) and Parky uses the words "I think".

And just for the record this is what Craig Brown said:

Brown had played down his interest in the goalkeeper earlier this week but said: "Things have moved very quickly over the last 24 hours and we're delighted to have Darren on board.

"He'll compete against Lee Hollis for the number one spot and that's healthy competition to have."

So who's telling the truth?

Brown also said he had no interest in signing Darren Randolph.
  • Oh well atleast we have a keeper proberly better than Worner

Good luck to the Lad dont slate him when you have only seen him once, i am sure Deano would not send us a clown

Good Luck Luke you will need it if Llers is playing
  • Well said Sco, I'm sure some on here would want a name or someone they think is decent because they turn into a good keeper on Football Manager, but lets give him a chance. I'm sure the management has watched him before and he can't be that bad, maybe a few mistakes because of his age but then its not like Elliot doesn't make any. Welcome Luke and I hope you have a succesful spell at the club.
  • [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Well said Sco, I'm sure some on here would want a name or someone they think is decent because they turn into a good keeper on Football Manager, but lets give him a chance. I'm sure the management has watched him before and he can't be that bad, maybe a few mistakes because of his age but then its not like Elliot doesn't make any. Welcome Luke and I hope you have a succesful spell at the club.

To be fair, I've had him one of the old Football Manager games and he was awesome so we've nothing to worry about :)