Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Supporting a football team

One of the things i always find interesting going on here is the massive difference in opinions. I’m sure we have all, at one time or another, come on here to read what other people thought of the match and been amazed by how differently someone else has seen the same game.

There does seem to be 2 groups on here, one who try to be positive and look at the plus points and the other who feel very negatively and are massively frustrated that the other group won’t see “reality”.

The thing that always strikes me is that if you hate going so much and it makes you so angry, why go?

I’m sure we’re all the same in that we believe you can’t change your team and you have to follow them through thick and thin. Otherwise lets be honest we would have all buggered off after the last couple of years. However, I just don’t get the people who obviously are so miserable about supporting Charlton. Why not stop? I don’t mean in the sense of changing the team you support but in the sense of stop going to the games, stop going on fan forums, and stop talking about it if it makes you so upset.

When you look at it, what other aspect of your life would you still devote so much time to if it makes you so miserable? I think even if your marriage was that bad you would split up.

I’m honestly interested in what the reason is behind it.

Comments

• Options
    Because when you care about something and you see things going wrong it's gonna make you miserable.

Support isnt just about going when the good times are there. You are stuck with it warts and all when the bad times roll along too.

Obviously youll still support the team and get behind them whatever happens but it doesnt mean that when things are going wrong you just ignore them.

Ive found going to Charlton pretty depressing on the whole over the past couple of years and hate waiting with baited breath everytime i read something about the financial situation and wonder if well go under....but out of loyalty, habit and the fact I SUPPORT the club and am not just along for the good times means ill still always go even if i dont like what is going on.
  • Options
    On the Point you raise about people seeing different games, part of the reason for this I think can be attributed to where you sit in the ground as people who sit East or West have a totally different view from say the North.
  • Options
    My father stopped going to games about 25 years ago because it was making him so miserable, although he moans about everything. He is a double of Victor Meldrew in both looks and attitude. My point is that even though he has stopped watching games, he still gets the raving hump about everything Charlton. I have never swore at my Dad, but there are times when I really want to tell him to shut the f**k up and get over it.

It's like a drug, you know it gives you a buzz at the time but it sometimes makes you so miserable when the effects are wearing off. I've been addicted for 40 years now and wouldn't want to be without my fix.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    unconditional love for the club

lets face it we are utter dog shite compared to how wonderful we actually were a few years back (and even that wasn't good enough or exciting enough for some)

in the ground i'm pretty sure everyone on here will support the team but on here if i think so and so is shit i dont think there's anything wrong with pointing it out
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestSussexAddick[/cite]It's like a drug, you know it gives you a buzz at the time but it sometimes makes you so miserable when the effects are wearing off.
    Spot on, everyone knows the feeling when we get a win, you are on top of the world. There have been far too many times after a defeat I have had a terrible weekend because of the awful mood I was in . But a win and you want to go out and celebrate. By the time that wears off it's time for the next match and we go again looking for the same fix.
  • Options
    We're British, we love to moan, simple.
  • Options
    I've been on both sides of this debate, as I was one of the first to openly criticise Pardew. I took a lot of flak for that at the time - so much so that I left this forum for a couple of months, as I realised my opinions were out of sync with the vocal majority.

I'm as supportive of Parky as I can be now though, because I think he is a genuine guy and working extremely hard to do the best he possibly can - a bit different from the big-nosed, grey-haired mercenary.

What now makes me miserable is the people who constantly dig at Parky - especially harking back to decisions from last season. It's easy to be 100% right with hindsight. More difficult to get everything right at the time, all the time.

I wish a few more on here would follow NLA's example and give the guy a break - even if they have reservations. Supporting Charlton right now includes supporting the manager, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Compared to my marriage, Charlton is bliss. Since i'll stay with my missus till I die, obviously it'll be ditto with Charlton.
  • Options
    I worked with a very ambitious young man a few years back - already at quite a senior management level and barely in his 30s. He couldn't understand why I supported Charlton - he supported Chelsea because they were the best team! Strange guy, but not alone.

Sometimes I wish I could stop being so bothered about Charlton, but not as much as I wished over the summer that I could stop supporting England!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WestSussexAddick[/cite]It's like a drug, you know it gives you a buzz at the time but it sometimes makes you so miserable when the effects are wearing off.
    Spot on, everyone knows the feeling when we get a win, you are on top of the world. There have been far too many times after a defeat I have had a terrible weekend because of the awful mood I was in . But a win and you want to go out and celebrate. By the time that wears off it's time for the next match and we go again looking for the same fix.

But Col, we won last Saturday, yet the mood on here has been suicidal all week...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weegie you know what as I was typing that I was thinking the same, obviously the mood in this league is still one of general despair because most still believe we do not belong in this divison. The reaction would not have been the same if we were in a higher divison and had a lucky/fortunate win against a team we are perceived to be better than.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Weegie you know what as I was typing that I was thinking the same, obviously the mood in this league is still one of general despair because most still believe we do not belong in this divison. The reaction would not have been the same if we were in a higher divison and had a lucky/fortunate win against a team we are perceived to be better than.

Agreed. And if we're not careful, we'll all talk ourselves into a cycle of despair and end up stuck in this league or out of business!

Some of us remember being here before - it seemed more fun then, but perhaps that's just the nostalgia of middle age...;-)
  • Options
    Spot on, everyone knows the feeling when we get a win, you are on top of the world

i was buzzing my nuts off after last weeks robbery but in the cold light of day it was a real poor performance , still the final whistle was a complete relief and nice rush (saddo alert)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]I wished over the summer that I could stop supporting England!

I found that surprisingly easy to be fair. The emotional disconnect I have watching the national team is so far removed from watching CAFC to be untrue. If someone told me I could never see England play again I'd not really be bothered. Same thing with Charlton and I'd be murderous despite the lows we've endured over the recent past*

* having also experienced the 1970's following us I think that also helps to get things in perspective and try not to get too down (with the occassional outburst at performances like the Northwich one...)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    Spot on, everyone knows the feeling when we get a win, you are on top of the world

i was buzzing my nuts off after last weeks robbery but in the cold light of day it was a real poor performance , still the final whistle was a complete relief and nice rush (saddo alert)
    I suppose it has more of an affect on others
  • Options
    ChrisWhytesBaldhead - totally agree.

It should be simples -
    1. Support your local team or the team your parents brought you up to support.
    2. Support them through thick and thin.
    3. Enjoy the ride...because unless you are a Big 4 glory-hunter...it will be a rollercoaster ride over the course of a lifetime.
  • Options
    Pretty much agree with all that Weegie said in her opening post.

For the record, Parky has my full support at the moment. If we don't make the play offs at the end of the season, then i think we need a change. If at any point between mid-November and February its clear things aren't working out and we are in the bottom half, then i think we should change.

But for now i'm going to get on with getting behind the manager and getting behind the team.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Why is this being turned into yet another Parkinson love/hate thread?

Not really sure what it's got to do with the original post.
  • Options
    fair point BDV
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]Why is this being turned into yet another Parkinson love/hate thread?

Not really sure what it's got to do with the original post.

No intention to turn it into yet another Parky debate, but for me that is simply where most of the division between positive and negative support lies at the moment. Vast majority of the negative views/ posts on here are having a go at Parky. Hence my last line - supporting Charlton includes supporting the manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]fair point BDV[/quote]

Now don't let it happen again! ;o)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]We're British, we love to moan, simple.
    That's pretty much it.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]Why is this being turned into yet another Parkinson love/hate thread?

Because that's how they get a buzz, I suppose.
  • Options
    We'll reading through what every one has posted (including the Parky posts) i think we all agree we support Charlton because we love the club and no matter how we are playing life would be poorer without Charlton in it.

So if we're stuck with supporting Charlton we might as well enjoy it!
  • Options
    because it's like a drug, addictive and damn near impossible to give up. ?%-{>
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]because it's like a drug, addictive and damn near impossible to give up. ?%-{>

This for me well said

I think it speaks volumes that those who go like me wanting to see effort,endeavour and an amount of skill not a huge amount i am not in denial about the fact we are in the 3rd division still go and DO NOT BOO

All i want is to see the hard work i get told we are doing all week actually put into practice.

I was not unhappy with the Oldham result infact i thought it was a good point due to 2 teams locking horns and getting on with it.

I will always go when i have the spare time and the finances to accomodate it.

I dont buy into the fact that you should just see the positives whilst we are there

we all go there looking for them we all go to see something good and like those that only see the positives other see everything positives and negatives but the negatives seem to stay in the mind longer at the moment.

I thought saturday was appalling really bad others didnt good on them maybe they are not as frustrated with it as others or they hide their frustraitions better.
  • Options
    And i am glad Weegie has noticed that i aint screaming for the fellas head at all i would like nothing more than him to ramm my thoughts and words down my fat head.

I am in the lets give this a real chance and a real go its his team now no hiding no excuses totally down to him now.

I also think he has worked hard and tried his best and i think he has done some real good business in the window with the funds available

It is totally Pakies season and he needs all the support he can get from his board his team and his fans that is all we can do and that is what i intend to do going forward until the time that it appears we are not going to reach the required goal and then i will look towards a decisive and leading board of directors and chairman
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]unconditional love for the club

lets face it we are utter dog shite compared to how wonderful we actually were a few years back (and even that wasn't good enough or exciting enough for some)

in the ground i'm pretty sure everyone on here will support the team but on here if i think so and so is shit i dont think there's anything wrong with pointing it out

Spot on
  • Options
    Win or lose I'm never dissapointed...I get what I pay for, a football match with an unpredictable outcome. If I wanted to be bored I'd go watch Chelsea. The reason I've stopped going is that the majority of our supporters are whinging whining tossers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Win or lose I'm never dissapointed...I get what I pay for, a football match with an unpredictable outcome. If I wanted to be bored I'd go watch Chelsea. The reason I've stopped going is that the majority of our supporters are whinging whining tossers.

I remember looking on Millwall's boards a couple of years back and they were utterly depressed. Same with Palace, particularly after every time we beat them - it's not unique to us. Don't take it all too seriously and don't let the whingers get to you - just laugh at them -it's their natural disposition and thats their tough shit.