Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Martin

GusGus
edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Hi there, I'm a Tractorboy in peace. Lee Martin was a bit of a flop for us, after a being bought for a fairly high sum. Apparently he is doing well for you boys? I'd love to hear your opinions of him, I'd guess there's a decent chance you could get him permanently if you wanted.

I always though he was a bit lightweight and was lacking a real footballing brain. Although, he did look good in spells when he looked to beat his man but his crossing was also poor. Is he always on the wing for you?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Don't think we'd have the cash to sign him permanently...

He has had a fair start, he has obvious ability, works hard and links up well with strikers. That being said I think he drifts in and out of games far too much for my liking but I suppose that happens with 'creative' players.

Think he will come good, would like to see him get on the scoresheet. Also needs to play a killer pass more often rather than a trick. Mainly because he seems like the only type of player in our squad that has the potential to do it.
  • Options
    he shows moments of brilliance and others were he seems un-interested
  • Options
    Works hard, has a bit of pace and skill but not yet seen a real end product. Has set up a couple of goals late on in games. Scored one and set up a couple (I think) in the Carling Cup but that was against a League Two side in Shrewsbury.

Not yet convinced there's a real end product we can rely on though. In the league the goals he set up we found a bit of space to work in after the opposition had pushed up.

Just can't see him picking out good crosses and passes he doesn't have that space. Hopefully he does in time.

I suppose if he had a better end product you wouldn't have loaned him out. There is something there and he's doing well at times but I'd like to see more from him, but that can be said for most of our attacking players.
  • Options
    Needs to be at a club that really knows how to use him
  • Options
    When played in behind the striker he looks class, gets a bit lost on the wing though
  • Options
    Seems you have the same conerns as us regarding him going invisible. With confidence I reckon he could have a good season with you though, so best of luck.

Good luck for the season
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Gus[/cite]With confidence I reckon he could have a good season with you though, so best of luck.
    I think everyone would agree with that.

I think he's had moments which show why he was at Man Utd as a youngster, but also others that show why he wasn't good enough for Ipswich last season.

Can't imagine the big price (£2m?) and expectations has helped him, especially when he's not yet played a full season of first team football anywhere.
  • Options
    He has potential, I think he will be good. He works hard and has some bite when things get tough, I think we can all see what could happen but no one is sure if it will. One thing is for sure, if we are ever 3 up at home (hopefully) with Reid and Martin on together it will be an exciting time as Reid and Martin are crowd pleasers.
  • Options
    He needs to play a free role in midfield.If we played pacy forwards he would be able to link up better from midfield.He would be allright there as he has skill and guts.He needs a lot of the ball all the time otherwise he'll go missing.Although not as good ,I think if he got a free role he could play a similiar game to Modric at Spurs.Lee is that type of player,energetic,light and skilful.
  • Options
    Highly thought of by christian dailly who said he could be the player to turn games with "something different" during a game, quickest feet at the club. Agree with others here, needs to add end products to effort and fancy footwork.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's certainly "up for it" - looks like a player with a point to prove, and undoubtedly has a lot of skill. Needs a bit more composure sometimes. He's less of a prima donna and more of a battler than I expected. Will get his fair share of bookings, and perhaps the odd red - needs to harness his aggression to turn the game, rather than just rile the ref. We should sit him down in front of some old videos of Johnny Robinson eg the Man U game when we came back from 1-3 to draw 3-3...be great to see him have that kind of impact, even against the likes of Dagenham and Brighton...
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]He's certainly "up for it" - looks like a player with a point to prove, and undoubtedly has a lot of skill. Needs a bit more composure sometimes. He's less of a prima donna and more of a battler than I expected. Will get his fair share of bookings, and perhaps the odd red - needs to harness his aggression to turn the game, rather than just rile the ref. We should sit him down in front of some old videos of Johnny Robinson eg the Man U game when we came back from 1-3 to draw 3-3...be great to see him have that kind of impact, even against the likes of Dagenham and Brighton...

Good analogy with Johnny Robinson. Although possibly mnore talent than Robbo, but less finished product.
  • Options
    Won't he be banned after the next yellow?
  • Options
    He is our life raft in a sea of shit!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]He is our life raft in a sea of shit!!

In that case, sowester anyone?

http://www.guycotten.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32_138_143&products_id=351
  • Options
    So who's the new John Robinson now? Waggy or Martin?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]So who's the new John Robinson now? Waggy or Martin?

I'd go for Martin, Waggy is more of a Rommedahl - game based on pace, rather than effort and ability to cross, although waggy must have outscored Romm by now, definetly at the Valley
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]So who's the new John Robinson now? Waggy or Martin?

Martin was showing all the signs at the end of the Notts County game - having a go at the lino when already on a yellow...never seen Waggy lose it like that.
  • Options
    Waggy was well up for it v Orient. He's much more like Robbo than Martin and he scores goals. Far more direct.

Martin is the new Mark Robson. Flatters to deceive so far.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Waggy was well up for it v Orient. He's much more like Robbo than Martin and he scores goals. Far more direct.

Is a goal and 3 or 4 assists in under 10 appearances really faltering to deceive?

I don't have the stats but I would think he's our leading assister so far this season. The 'lots of promise little end product' tag would probably be more fairly pinned on Reidy so far this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Waggy was well up for it v Orient. He's much more like Robbo than Martin and he scores goals. Far more direct.

Is a goal and 3 or 4 assists in under 10 appearances really faltering to deceive?

I don't have the stats but I would think he's our leading assister so far this season. The 'lots of promise little end product' tag would probably be more fairly pinned on Reidy so far this season.

Football league stats give martin the lead for assists but only 2 compared to others only 1. http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/Assists/0,,10794~201010267~25,00.html if link does not show up fully then cut and paste
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

Football league stats give martin the lead for assists but only 2 compared to others only 1.http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/Assists/0,,10794~201010267~25,00.htmlif link does not show up fully then cut and paste

Cheers Kap, he's definitely got more than 2 though - one at Shrewsbury (Abbot scored), one vs Orient (Waggy scored) and one vs Notts County (Anyinsah scored), plus he scored himself vs Shrewbury.

I do agree that the jury is still out a bit on him as I think we're all waiting for that one big game from him where he puts in an 8 or 9 out 10 performance and really drives us to give someone a pasting, but he's made a decent start in terms of direct involvment with our goalscoring so we've got to be careful he doesn't turn into this season's Lloyd Sam and end up saddled with the pressure of unrealistic expectations.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Football league stats give martin the lead for assists but only 2 compared to others only 1.http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/Assists/0,,10794~201010267~25,00.htmlif link does not show up fully then cut and paste
    I checked that a while ago, Abbott was for some reason given the assist in the Orient game. Might be wrong but I think that was what was wrong, Abbott definitely hasn't got an assist has he?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Cheers Kap, he's definitely got more than 2 though - one at Shrewsbury (Abbot scored), one vs Orient (Waggy scored) and one vs Notts County (Anyinsah scored), plus he scored himself vs Shrewbury.[/quote]

I thought Racon provided the assist for Anyinsah? I get confused easily!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: better red than dead[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Cheers Kap, he's definitely got more than 2 though - one at Shrewsbury (Abbot scored), one vs Orient (Waggy scored) and one vs Notts County (Anyinsah scored), plus he scored himself vs Shrewbury.

How sad am I? I have trawled the match report on the OS and they give it to Martin
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Cheers Kap, he's definitely got more than 2 though - one at Shrewsbury (Abbot scored), one vs Orient (Waggy scored) and one vs Notts County (Anyinsah scored), plus he scored himself vs Shrewbury.

How sad am I? I have trawled the match report on the OS and they give it to Martin

Pretty certain it was Martin from my view from NU. Easy players to confuse - not ;-)
  • Options

In the papers it was quoted as Racon but it definitely wasn't him. Akpo was battling down the line, he squeezed it through to Martin, who squared it to Anyinsah and Joe boshed it in. And that sentence is why I'm not a journalist.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

In the papers it was quoted as Racon but it definitely wasn't him. Akpo was battling down the line, he squeezed it through to Martin, who squared it to Anyinsah and Joe boshed it in. And that sentence is why I'm not a journalist.

Don't see why you couldn't be a Journo - getting you're facts right is more important than being poetic in your writing imo.

Anyway, 'bosh' is definitely a word you don't hear often enough these days.
  • Options
    From what I've seen he's more like Darren Ambrose style wise, but with 10 times the fight and determination.
    Like Ambrose he will need to be played in midfield just behind the front two to really get the best out of him.
    Unfortunately Parky couldn't see that with Ambrose and I doubt he will with Martin either. We don't want to create anything for the strikers now do we!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]From what I've seen he's more like Darren Ambrose style wise, but with 10 times the fight and determination.
    Like Ambrose he will need to be played in midfield just behind the front two to really get the best out of him.
    Unfortunately Parky couldn't see that with Ambrose and I doubt he will with Martin either. We don't want to create anything for the strikers now do we!

Funnily enough it wasn't just Parkie that wouldn't, a succession of charlton managers from Curbs onwards, its, dare I say it, Warnock that played Ambrose in his best position and prospered from it.