Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Martin

2»

Comments

• Options
    I heard Ambrose was playing on the left wing in a 4-3-3 more than behind the front two.

Question is should we playing 3-5-2, 4-5-1 or a diamond midfield just to fit Martin in?
  • Options
    Ive really enjoyed watching Lee Martin play and like most posters feel that if he is used right could be a huge plus. I always think of Lee Marvin When I hear his name. I m sure we used to have a song to go with 'I was born under a wondering star' ......
  • Options
    So what is his best position?

Didn't go last night but seems to get more space when playing out wide. Wasn't great when playing behind Abbott in other games.

Not sure I'd want him in central midfield in a 4-4-2 from the start of a game.

We're unlikely to start games 3-5-2 or with a diamond midfield just to fit him in behind 2 strikers.

There's not a clear answer is there? Said before I can see both why he was at Man Utd and also why he struggled at Ipswich.
  • Options
    I've not been a fan of Martin since he joined, I can see why a lot of people like him because he is skillful and looks good when running with the ball. but his decision making is poor, his final ball/crossing has been shocking. I think he would be ok to bring on off the bench because his skill might be able to unsettle defenders in the last 20 minutes when everyone else is getting tired. If you read most of the ratings after each game on here you seem to get the same response "worked hard then faded in second half". I'm not having a dig at the lad I hope he comes good and proves me wrong. I just think were begining to see why Roy Keane doesn't rate him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nicholas[/cite]I've not been a fan of Martin since he joined, I can see why a lot of people like him because he is skillful and looks good when running with the ball. but his decision making is poor, his final ball/crossing has been shocking. I think he would be ok to bring on off the bench because his skill might be able to unsettle defenders in the last 20 minutes when everyone else is getting tired. If you read most of the ratings after each game on here you seem to get the same response "worked hard then faded in second half". I'm not having a dig at the lad I hope he comes good and proves me wrong. I just think were begining to see why Roy Keane doesn't rate him.

Agree to an extent. I think there is a good player in there, but as you say he needs to improve his decision making. At times last night there was a simple ball on but he would try a little flick or turn which never came off. He needs to play a percentage game a lot more - tricks aren't going to work if you do them constantly.
  • Options
    On his wiki page it says:

"Martin was increasingly used by Ole Gunnar Solskjær in the Manchester United Reserve team as an attacking midfielder and makeshift striker, scoring five goals in the latter half of the season. He was also named as a substitute for the first team's home match against Aston Villa on 5 April 2009"

So perhaps sticking him out on the wing isn't his best position. Less than 18 months ago he was good enough for Man Utd's bench so there's obviously a player in there somewhere. I think we need to play him off the front 2, especially in home games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I think we need to play him off the front 2, especially in home games.
    In what formation though?

I think Man Utd used him behind 1 striker.
  • Options
    Very up for it but perhaps a bit too much, tearing around the field when sometimes a bit of thought might be the better option, so maybe he's a bit too direct at the moment, that might be based on hunger to achieve and prove himself - which is no bad thing, but needs to be moulded
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Very up for it but perhaps a bit too much, tearing around the field when sometimes a bit of thought might be the better option, so maybe he's a bit too direct at the moment, that might be based on hunger to achieve and prove himself - which is no bad thing, but needs to be moulded

By George, I think he's got it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I think we need to play him off the front 2, especially in home games.

Midfield diamond. Semedo holding, Martin behind the front 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Midfield diamond. Semedo holding, Martin behind the front 2.
    Can see that with 4 CMs but would surely be far too open with 2 wingers.

Parky did try it in a few games last season, so maybe he will if a winger or two aren't available at some point.
  • Options
    Dowie tried a diamond with 3 strikers and 2 wingers! haha
  • Options
    Forgot about the front 3, was Hasselbaink behind the two Bents wasn't it?
  • Options
    yep, bents up top, jfh just behind and rommedahl and ambrose on the wings with just POUSO sitting in midfield on his todd!