Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Dagenham & Redbridge (25/9/10) - Preview, Poll, News and Views

WSSWSS
edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Saturday’s game against our East London rivals Dagenham and Redbridge marks 25 years since the darkest day in our history. Since that day in 1985, players, managers and boards have come and gone but one thing has remained and that’s the fans. Of course attendances have gone up and down over the years but there was always a feeling that we were all in it together and gave our all in terms of support regardless of the level we were at or the players we had at our disposal. Has that drifted in recent years?

Regardless of the answer to that question, the game on Saturday needs to be a kickstart to an indifferent spell of results and performances in recent weeks. We need to be looking to beat most teams in this division at home, not least a newly promoted team of whom we nicked their legend.

Dagenham dragged themselves from the foot of the table in the week with a 1-1 home draw against Exeter and would consider any type of result at The Valley a bonus. It was of course only a couple of weeks ago since we beat D&R in the JPT with a goal from Therry Racon and which marked former Daggers hitman Paul Benson’s debut for Charlton. Since then, “Benno” has not set the world alight in Addicks Red although this seems more down to a lack of service than a lack of ability.

In a front-to-back sort of preview this week I expect and would like to see Benson start up top. By himself. I think we then go with Martin in a withdrawn striker role with Wagstaff and Reid regularly foraging forward to create a front 3 or 4, forcing us to play foot, rather than hoofball. Semedo and Racon to continue in their central berths. Sorry Mac.

Without knowing anything about the Dagenham front line, I’m not sure whether Parky will plump for Fry or Big Mig but the remaining three seem pretty much nailed down in their positions. Worner started against Tranmere but I think we may see a home debut for loanee goalkeeper Paul Luke Daniels.

We need to win our next two home games and if we do – considering some of the strange results in our league – we could find ourselves in a very healthy position after 9 games.

The crowd will demand a win and a performance this week. We may not get the free flowing performance we desire, but we will get a win. And Benson will score. 2-0.

Comments

• Options
    Even though you can't have too much confidence in the side right now, we really should be winning this by a couple. Surely Benson will write the headlines.
  • Options
    We're still not a team and the forwards still don't look like scoring.

A messy draw
  • Options
    we win comfortably 2-0

benno and abbot from the bench

but we're still gelling
  • Options
    I reckon we will win but will be close ... if we can't beat teams like this at home then we don't have much hope at end of season.
  • Options
    Posted this before but I would like to see us try something new against Dag & Red, must go out with an attacking emphasis and really look at beating them by a couple and get confidence levels up. They were useless in the JPT.

---------------Worner----------------
    Francis - Doherty - Llera - Jackson
    ---------------Semedo---------------
    Wagstaff----------------------- Reid
    ----------------Martin----------------
    ----------Benson - Abbott------------

Or even a 4-3-3. Would really like to see us go for it and if we get a goal, not sit back on it and go for more and kill a team off for once. Want to see some creation and imagination.
  • Options
    Normally approach games with a certain degree of optimism, but the unconvincing start to the season has seen me increasingly start to fear the worst whenever it comes to Charlton.

My 'fear' is that it will be a repeat of the Gillingham home game last season. A poor side raising their game in a decent stadium and a better than an average following against a side that just aren't performing to the levels they should.

So heart is saying draw. Head though is telling me we are much better than them, there isn't too much fundamentally wrong and it is going to come together very soon.

Ps. great intro once against WSS, short and succinct, everyone has been on the money so far this season IMO.
  • Options
    AFKA you may as well close the forum for a few days if it's anything but a 2+ goal win :-D
  • Options
    The season starts here 4-0, so i have been told by the Pakistan cricket team!
  • Options
    Looking forward to this one as I've missed the last two home games for one reason or another. I'm hoping the team pull a performance out of the bag for me and we win comfortably.
    However I've been going to Charlton long enough to know it'll be a disastrous defeat and we'll lose half of our members on here by Monday morning as they'll all have jumped off a cliff somewhere!
  • Options
    next 2 home games must = 2 home wins

like the sound of either WSS's team or nichorob's....have to be positive and attack from the outset.

nice intro piece as well !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with WSS, although Worner did enough at Tranmere to warrant keeping his place. I suspect the Llera/Docherty partnership was selected last week to counter the opposition's direct style, so Fry could return in place of Llera, (is Fortune fit and available yet?).
    If we get the ball down and pass it through midfield - a comfortable win. If the opposition bully us into playing long passes from the back - a tough game. I'm hoping for the former.....2-0.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fortune to start 3 5 2 please parky

or else

1 nil daggers ;-)
  • Options
    A must win game - D&R are struggling and we have the players to win comfortably.
  • Options
    Normally I'm one of the ones moaning at you lot for being miserable, but I have a horrible feeling about this game, what with the 25 anniversary, it would be typical Charlton to pee on our own bonfire!

Like AFKA, I fear this could be our Gillingham or Orient at home from last season, so 2-1 defeat.

I am literally willing Abbott & Benson to score, I've loved Pawel Abbott for years, always signing him on football manager so I really want him to be a success simply because he's done it everywhere else (including Football Manager!!!)
  • Options
    Worner/Daniels
    Francis Dohery Fry Jackson
    Wagstaff Racon Semedo Martin
    Sodje Ayinseh

Think Sodje deserves a start although it won't happen and Benson will start, hope to see more from him and hopefully he'll open his account against his old club, the longer it takes him to score the more pressure will be on him.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    1-0 Addicks win. We'll score in the 84 minute. You heard it here first. :-p
  • Options
    Daniels
    Francis Dohery Fry Jackson
    Wagstaff Racon Semedo Reid
    Martin
    Benson

Worner, Llerra, Sodje, McCormack, Fortune

Ps I've just gone opening 5 games season 2025 / 2026 in FM 2009 without scoring and only 1 point, so my selection credentials may not be that good
  • Options
    Really hoping for a decent performance, and a few goals.

I really do hope the team are up for these two home games.....

Charlton expects........
  • Options
    Dark times but a 1-0 to us but backs to the wall for the last half hour.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]my selection credentials may not be that good
    Indeed, you forgot we can now have 7 subs...!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think that its about time that we actually killing games off, far to many times we get ahead and lose our bottle.

we should play our in form players!! I dont understand how Akpo is one of the only players that scores regular goals when he starts games, but gets dropped as soon as some one who is supposedly better than him gets signed.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    no concerns for this game as d&r will be the easiest game we'll face this season. they really are crap and their no away points so far is a fair reflection to how poor they are.

hopefully parky will have scouted them and will decide that if we want to win then he'll have to abandon his overly cautious tactics of trying to just not lose to these part time footballers in this league and will in fact go for the win.if he does attack then you will see us comfortably win.

d&r will bring plenty of loud support but this will be counteracted by our psychologist that parky uses so effectively,going through the playing cards with the players putting them in the right frame of mind for these games

4-0 home win.
  • Options
    Saw the game on Tuesday, the Daggers will find it a long hard season. They were very poor in the first half although better in the second but did not create much. I viewed it as two points dropped

Easy win for Charlton, chance to improve the goal difference.

Nice away stand though
  • Options
    Not usually one for blind optimism but this will surely be a 2 - 0 home win at least. Can't believe that one in ten of us think Charlton will lose this. Even teams without expectations of promotion will fancy their chances against Daggenham.
  • Options
    Come on , all you doubters. Three points in the bag. They were truly awful at the Valley a couple of weeks ago one of the worst teams who've visited SE7 in 25 years !

I don't know how many of their ''stars'' they rested that night but if Benson was their best player, we have nothing to fear.

We/re playing poor football at the moment, but so are 23 other teams in this division. Some are poorer than others, though, and D&R are among the poorest.

2-1 Charlton. Goals from Wagstaff and Llera.
  • Options
    Lose
  • Options
    3-1 win. Benson to get off the mark with a hat-trick (now that's optimism folks)
  • Options
    Narrow scrappy home win by the odd goal in Three.
  • Options
    We have 2 home games in short succession and I really feel they are important. It feels like we have had a disapointing start to the season but we are only 3 points of the top of this league. Win these 2 and we will be up there and we might be thinking slightly differently about things. On paper, tomorrow should be the easier game of the 2 but I'm sure D&R will be up for making it as tough as possible. It's one of them games where youcould see us winning easily or winning with difficulty but hard to see us not winning. I think winning easily is important as the sooner this team starts gelling, the better.

Personally, I'd like to see Ackpo and Joe up front with Benson on the Bench to come on to win the game for us or to gain confidence when we are comfortable. Why Ackpo and Joe -because as a pair I think they have the physicality to cause problems for defenders. My head says 2-1, my heart says 4-0 and the season starts here.
  • Options
    its good to see you calling for Akpo! he has been loyal to us and always gives 100%. He might not be our most gifted striker, but at least he will cause them problems.

Now I have said that, Benson will probably bang in a hat trick.