Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

North South divide

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think we are missing the point here. The debate is not about the differences between north and south London but between south-east London and the rest of London. "North" and "South" are too big to generalise about in terms of real differences. But south-east London is very different from anywhere else, even the rest of south London. I mean the slice that's 3pm to 4.30pm on the clockface. You should know what I mean. It's largely Greenwich and Bexley but I would include the parts of Lewisham and Southwark that run closer to the railway lines into London Bridge. Those of us that have grown up here might well have a "sarf-east" accent, something that is very recognisable in the capital (however, much we might not like it). I also believe there's a typical south-east take on many things in life which is at odds with Londoners generally e.g. a tendency to be more cynical and, ironically, readier to trust others; more accepting of "outsiders" as long as they want to live like us and less accepting if they don't; generally happier in our own environment that other Londoners - less likely to travel into "town" than other Londoners for entertainment etc.
  • Options
    Idiot
  • Options
    North London - no academics, no open parkland, great community feel, no fat people.
    South London - academics, parkland, no community fee, fat people.

The world of windscreen.
  • Options
    What a thread, hilarious!

Although now residing in t'north (of England, that is). I can't help but still feel the inbuilt dislike of north of the river and the feeling of being 'in the promised land' when I emerge out of the Blackwall tunnel into that corner of the capital that is part of the ancient kingdom of the Kentish men and women.

When travelling through north London, it just feels wrong. I am obviously biased, but I always used to think that it was a bit boring compared to south London - all the north London dinner party types probably gave me that feeling as (despite their views on society) they always seemed to want to live somewhere that felt isolated from the 'real' city and its attendant challenges and problems. South London just feels a little bit more gritty and exciting to me, but that may just be my bias. I really do agree that south Londoners seem to have a different mentality to north Londoners and I like it.

Not sure I agree with the observations of windscreen, but, as has been said before on this thread: South East London is wonderful.

LOL @ NLA btw!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I thought this thread was about the north and south of England divide. I spend alot of time in the Midlands and when i first started going i thought there was going to be a sense of hostility towards me as i am born and bred in south London. Actually it was the opposite as i found the people in the Midlands to be the friendliest ive ever met! They are very socialble as random people (who you've never met before) will start talking to you in the pub, supermarket, gym, post office etc and you never ever get that in London. If a random person starts talking to you in London you would look at them as if they're mental and run a mile. People in London don't have time to talk to people as they're are too busy with the hussle and bussle of work which is a real shame!

I've been to Tottenham once and all I can remember was a druggie asking me for money as soon as I walked out of Seven Sisters tube and a dog then started running after me! I haven't been back since!
  • Options
    Live in South London, work in North London. Can't wait each day to get back over London Bridge! It's a shithole over there and yet they delude themselves we're worse-off. The only thing they have is two Premiership football clubs, short of that, the North has sod-all to commend. We've got rough places down here, but all of North London is rougher.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]I think we are missing the point here. The debate is not about the differences between north and south London but between south-east London and the rest of London. "North" and "South" are too big to generalise about in terms of real differences. But south-east London is very different from anywhere else, even the rest of south London. I mean the slice that's 3pm to 4.30pm on the clockface. You should know what I mean. It's largely Greenwich and Bexley but I would include the parts of Lewisham and Southwark that run closer to the railway lines into London Bridge. Those of us that have grown up here might well have a "sarf-east" accent, something that is very recognisable in the capital (however, much we might not like it). I also believe there's a typical south-east take on many things in life which is at odds with Londoners generally e.g. a tendency to be more cynical and, ironically, readier to trust others; more accepting of "outsiders" as long as they want to live like us and less accepting if they don't; generally happier in our own environment that other Londoners - less likely to travel into "town" than other Londoners for entertainment etc.

About the only post that seems to realise what the "north-south" divide is in London. It's not a tangible thing. It's not about restaurants, parkland, air quality etc. It's about the demeanour of the people, the air of attitudes and views. And I'd definitely agree it goes further than just south, it's South East London, from Waterloo across to Woolwich, from Woolwich down to New Eltham, across to Streatham (perhaps not as far across) and back up to Waterloo.

Saying all that though, having worked in N1 for 4 years, know quite a few people born & bred in the area and probably find them more like us than any other area in London.
  • Options
    Thanks Sparrows. I feel less like an idiot now.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]I used to live in Petts Wood. The town is divided by the rail track with the daylight side on the east and the dark side to the west. Only people from Petts Wood understand the difference between East and West Petts Woodians. [/quote]

East and West Petts Woodians - pmsl.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]I used to live in Petts Wood. The town is divided by the rail track with the daylight side on the east and the dark side to the west. Only people from Petts Wood understand the difference between East and West Petts Woodians.

It's true! West Petts Woodians have webbed feet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    world of difference! i've lived in sheffield since aged 5 (1976) and whenever anyone asked me where im from (coz i still don't sound like i'm from round ere') i say 'im from South London'. Never would i just say London. think it comes from my parents (both Deptford). I was born in Greenwich, support Charlton - no brainer!
  • Options
    The voice thing has caught me a few times as well, just as the Cardinal Says.

I also think South London peeps generaly will have their say-----------have an opinion.

Others when asked "where they live" may say London but im sure most from South London will say South London.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]I used to live in Petts Wood. The town is divided by the rail track with the daylight side on the east and the dark side to the west. Only people from Petts Wood understand the difference between East and West Petts Woodians.

It's true! West Petts Woodians have webbed feet.

East Petts Wood, The North London of Bromley.

Actually the East and original part, built by Fredrich Love, was called "the debters side" due to running out of money to build it.
    The East side certainly is where the money is nowdays, us webbed feet westys are the poor relations.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite][quote][cite]

It's true! West Petts Woodians have webbed feet.[/quote][/quote]

I thought everyone did!
  • Options
    In your Coppice slums...

To be honest I've always preferred the West Side, the East Side has some pretentious countryside village feel to it and its populated by idiots who complain to the Petts Wood Gazette about a small neon sign on the Post Office. The West Side also has some shops which are of some use to people.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]The voice thing has caught me a few times as well, just as the Cardinal Says.

I also think South London peeps generaly will have their say
    have an opinion.

Others when asked "where they live" may say London but im sure most from South London will say South London.

SOUTH EAST London, not south. I stick palace and slums like Norwood, etc as South London and not South East London, don't want to be associated with them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]The voice thing has caught me a few times as well, just as the Cardinal Says.

have an opinion.

SOUTH EAST London, not south. I stick palace and slums like Norwood, etc as South London and not South East London, don't want to be associated with them.

That's one of the few sensible things I've heard from a Millwall fan :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

have an opinion.

That's one of the few sensible things I've heard from a Millwall fan :-)

This is true - Anywhere west of Sydenham feels as alien to me as anywhere north of the river. There are holes both sides of the river, as there are nice bits but have to say that the whole pretentious arty / trendy / man baggy / intellectual bullshit around Camden and Islington puts me right off. Also, i'd say places like Harlesden, Willesden, Hackney, Tottenham, Wembley are utter toilets that you really don't want to spend any time in. There are loads more i can mention but people north of the river seem to think south of the Thames in comparison is like a no go zone which is nonsense. There's probably a bigger difference between east and west than north and south i would suggest.
  • Options
    Don't mind North London so much. Camden is far too pretentious for its own good and there's a few ropey places but I quite like Islington. It's South "Central" and South West London that bugs me most, the former primarily because it's a bit of a dump full of spotty Nigels, and the latter because the likes of Clapham and Balham seem to be populated solely by Australians, rugby-types and post-graduates with absolutely no connection to the area.
  • Options
    London is a city of contrast, Blackheath shares a postcode with Kidbrooke yet the two places couldn't be any more different. This whole South London thing is a lot of bollocks, neighbourhoods differ.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]This whole South London thing is a lot of bollocks, neighbourhoods differ.

You wouldn't know. You're from Petts Wood. And that falls well below the line of my SE London!
  • Options
    gotta agree with sparra here fod, I can honestly say that I don't even know where pets wood is!!
  • Options
    Its a part of St Marys Cray.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]This whole South London thing is a lot of bollocks, neighbourhoods differ.

You wouldn't know. You're from Petts Wood. And that falls well below the line of my SE London!

Good, we dont want you sort round here ;-)
  • Options
    Sparrow, my parents live in Petts Wood, I live in Lewisham. Where do you live, zone 4?!

MCS, most people don't know where Petts Wood is, trust me your not missing out on anything!!