Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What did he do to my team?

I love this club, but it broke my heart today to see us no better than a pub side.

Why did he take all the pace off (Reid not included)?
Why was our goalkeeper our smallest player (when Reid went off)?

Just a mid table lump it up to inept lumps up front, I am truly shocked tonight, I knew we were average but that was a disgrace

I know we can't afford to sack him, but he is slowly killing my team

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: upminsteraddick[/cite]I love this club, but it broke my heart today to see us no better than a pub side.

Why did he take all the pace off (Reid not included)?
    Why was our goalkeeper our smallest player (when Reid went off)?

Just a mid table lump it up to inept lumps up front, I am truly shocked tonight, I knew we were average but that was a disgrace

I know we can't afford to sack him, but he is slowly killing my team

The keeper was our best player so that's pretty irrelevant. Agree with the rest.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Anyinsah must have been injured. Waggy sub was not my choice as thought he was doing well but Reid was his replacement so can understand the sub.

Was Worner our smallest player? I think he is around 6ft- ok height for a keeper.
  • Options
    ..agreed the keeper was our best player, my reference to it was, it doesn't bode well for a team ALL over six ft, where was that nippy winger? that tricky little midfielder? He has turned us into a "lump and hope team" which I for one refuse to watch anymore.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: upminsteraddick[/cite]..agreed the keeper was our best player, my reference to it was, it doesn't bode well for a team ALL over six ft, where was that nippy winger? that tricky little midfielder? He has turned us into a "lump and hope team" which I for one refuse to watch anymore.
    Stop going then
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: upminsteraddick[/cite]..agreed the keeper was our best player, my reference to it was, it doesn't bode well for a team ALL over six ft, where was that nippy winger? that tricky little midfielder? He has turned us into a "lump and hope team" which I for one refuse to watch anymore.
    With an attitude like that you really won't be missed.
  • Options
    Its when the chips are down like in the second half when the other team start to become stronger we just start trying to play hoofball and result to playing it to there back four, when Oldham, Notts County and Dagenham start putting us under we just give up are style and play there game to easily thats where we need someone to put there foot on the ball for us
  • Options
    cafc_1993 totally agree unfortunately the likes of Red Pete don't really understand what they are watching, shame really ...but he pays his money, I suppose
  • Options
    to go to charlton do you have to blindly love the club however shocking and gutless they are? good post upminsteraddick.
  • Options
    Im still going to watch Charlton on Tuesday under Parky il still watch us in 10months time under parky or not, same in 5years time, i would love us to play 1 touch football all over the pitch but its not going to happen, thing is we havent got the players to play long ball football if we had the colchester team last year but we dont have that team to play that style. its just 4games now including Tranmere, when in the second half we just look scared to pass the ball, i cant put my finger on what it is exactly that make us so poor in the same time of every match.
  • Options
    Sorry about the similar thread, can't believe there are not more after todays shocker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]to go to charlton do you have to blindly love the club however shocking and gutless they are? good post upminsteraddick.

Through thick and thin.
    Charlton till i die.
    It's in my blood and i would go whatever division we were in or team we had.
  • Options
    Nolly, spot on my friend. Unfortunately Charlton rely on fans that Blindly love the club. I love this club with all my heart, but the dross Parky dishes up, is tempting me to love them from afar. I thought we were excellent until we scored, then it was a lack of motivation and team management that resulted in the Shocking, gutless performance that only the blind would consider defending.
  • Options
    So, we were "excellent" then in the first half?

I would say that's a bit much, but we were certainly good. I'm not going to stop going to matches just because we have a good half followed by a bad one. But if you want to that's up to you.
  • Options
    I thought we were spot on in the first 10/15 mins, but after that we seemed to take our foot off the gas.
    And that seems to happen a lot, even last season I remember that a few times.
  • Options
    The players put in today with the possible exception of Benson in the second half. The midfield always goes missing which is why they are third division players. Akpo and Miguel try but do not always succeed because they are third division players. As a general rule if the players put it in the manager is doing something right so I wouldn't sack him.

The issue is confidence in my view and once that penalty was given it ebbed out of the players and we forgot all the good things we'd done previously.

Parky will be gutted after today, we are not talking about arrogant twat couldn't give a toss as long as I've got my money Pardew here. Give the man some support and let him finish the job he has started.

It doesn't seem like it after the disappointment of drawing with the bottom team in the division but Parky IS rebuilding the Club along the right lines.

I like the bloke and to me he has something of Curbs about him which is a good thing and a proper Charlton thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]The players put in today with the possible exception of Benson in the second half. The midfield always goes missing which is why they are third division players. Akpo and Miguel try but do not always succeed because they are third division players. As a general rule if the players put it in the manager is doing something right so I wouldn't sack him.

The issue is confidence in my view and once that penalty was given it ebbed out of the players and we forgot all the good things we'd done previously.

Parky will be gutted after today, we are not talking about arrogant twat couldn't give a toss as long as I've got my money Pardew here. Give the man some support and let him finish the job he has started.

It doesn't seem like it after the disappointment of drawing with the bottom team in the division but Parky IS rebuilding the Club along the right lines.

I like the bloke and to me he has something of Curbs about him which is a good thing and a proper Charlton thing.

You may be right but how long do we wait and how low do we drop before we realise your wrong?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]The players put in today with the possible exception of Benson in the second half. The midfield always goes missing which is why they are third division players. Akpo and Miguel try but do not always succeed because they are third division players. As a general rule if the players put it in the manager is doing something right so I wouldn't sack him.

You may be right but how long do we wait and how low do we drop before we realise your wrong?

Dowie and Pardew were to blame for our two relegations and Club morale was rock bottom.

We were a missed penalty away from a play off final under Parky last season and he has had to rebuild as players have left. He deserves a bit more time than 8 games to get his team playing.

As to how long do we wait I'd look at it towards Christmas if things still aren't working. Somewhere around 20 league games in other words.

EDIT: The guy who sits next but one to me brought his girl friend to her first game of the season today and she commented on how few players she recognised from last season. That tells its own story I reckon.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Len, surely it is down to the manager to give the players confidence. Let's be fair they are now HIS players.

Plus, if you can't be confident at home to the bottom club, then you really have got no hope !
  • Options
    He's pretty much had two seasons. There'll always be some excuse for failure. Each time we fail more embarassingly I'm impressed by how some people manage to dig some kind of excuse for the club's performance up. Today, to be fair, wasn't as bad as some days we've had
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]He's pretty much had two seasons. There'll always be some excuse for failure. Each time we fail more embarassingly I'm impressed by how some people manage to dig some kind of excuse for the club's performance up. Today, to be fair, wasn't as bad as some days we've had[/quote]

Not as bad but definitely had the feeling about it that it was the sort of game where a manager can get himself the sack. I've never been one to criticise him with the time he's been in charge but constantly changing the starting lineup the way he has is not doing him any favours.

The players look really unfit too, probably because so many missed a full pre-season with us, but it'll be another criticism of the management and coaches if they're not brought up to speed soon enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Len, surely it is down to the manager to give the players confidence. Let's be fair they are now HIS players.

Plus, if you can't be confident at home to the bottom club, then you really have got no hope !

They did play with confidence for 20 - 30 minutes. Then Racon and to some degree Semedo too went missing and you could see the confidence steadily evaporating as Dagenham came into it. The penalty (whether given rightly or wrongly) finished it off and in the second half we reverted to hopeful (but in practice hopeless) long ball punts from the back (partly because the midfield were still missing partly because Akpo is a lump) rather than the passing game which served us so well earlier in the match. When Racon realised he was in a football match rather than away with the fairies we strung together a nice move for Johnny Jackson's goal.

A third division lapse in concentration allowed them to equalise. We'll obviously never know but I'm sure Christian Dailly would have made sure the defence was on the ball for the last minute or two had he been out there.

Maybe Semedo is not the man to be captain.
  • Options
    We'll obviously never know but I'm sure Christian Dailly would have made sure the defence was on the ball for the last minute or two had he been out there.

Jon Fortune was on the bench wasn't he? Why on earth didn't he start?
  • Options
    Since Parky has come on board as assistant manager and then manager we have failed to improve at all on the previous season. We have dropped two divisions since he was employed and what has he contributed exactly in either of his roles to improve the situation in the last four seasons???

One good season at Colchester and we have to put up with this just becuase he is a nice bloke and the players like him (I liked my drama teacher at school because he let us get away with murder!) His record at Hull was so bad that Phil Brown for crissakes had to be brought in!!
  • Options
    If dowies 12m spend and 12 games has more to do with our 2 relegations than parkys presence during those said 2 relegations I'm an optimist
    Come on Len they may have been pony buys but there was no way that dowie was given a fair crack of the whip
    Would we be worse off if dowie or pardew had stayed , the real scary thing is I don't think we would
  • Options
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    Give him a break, we are were we are, this thread could have been about any of our managers (except curbs & lennie) that i've seen since the late 60's mullary being a prime example.
  • Options
    Wonder how many share my views on Parky. I'll try and make it short:
    To his Credit :
    - A bit like Curbs, smooth-talking nice-guy image
    - Considering the dreadful financial situation of the club, we all agreed he did well with the transfers. Judgement on Benson is premature, many strikers have
    very average starts with their new clubs. Won't name any so as not to start an uproar.
    - Criticism of substitions are always dished out without any knowledge of the inside story. This will always be the case, everywhere, but I feel Parky's record
    on substitutions is not bad.
    The Negatives:
    - No technical skills, no tactics. If one of our players is sent off, we know we're in for it cos he won't think of something clever to cope with probable change
    of other team's tactics. If one of theirs is sent off, we know he won't come up with an unpredicable game-plan to make good use of the advantage.
    - Man-management not good enough. In most of our games, our second half was of lesser quality than the first. It appears his "I told them to think
    positive" speech during the break doesn't often work. Some players need a proper rollicking to get them going, Parky doesn't have the appropriate
    character to do that.

Even if the players he has put together (miraculously) succeed in getting us to the play-offs, Parky is not our man for the future. Those who believe in him
    think he has the capability of getting us back where we belong. This cannot be true, his shortcomings heavily outweigh his qualities.
    We don't have the money to attract, among others, an O'Neill (he's available), or an Allardyce (if he can handle Diouf, he can handle Akpo), but if they have
    the necessary badges, Kins or Breacker would probably do well for us at a price we can afford.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adrian[/cite]but if they have
    the necessary badges, Kins or Breacker would probably do well for us at a price we can afford.
    Based on what? If Parky goes I'd rather see a complete clear out to freshen things up.

On the tactics and going down to 10 men, we're actually decent under Parky in those games. Orient and Bournemouth this season, Swindon last season, that's at least 3 games we ended up winning after a sending off (and two against Swindon).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: adrian[/cite]but if they have
    Based on what? If Parky goes I'd rather see a complete clear out to freshen things up.

On the tactics and going down to 10 men, we're actually decent under Parky in those games. Orient and Bournemouth this season, Swindon last season, that's at least 3 games we ended up winning after a sending off (and two against Swindon).

And when Parky got sent to the stands, we drew!
  • Options
    If one of our players is sent off, we know we're in for it cos he won't think of something clever to cope with probable change
    of other team's tactics.

The fact is that the two times this season we've been reduced to ten men we won the match.

Parky's substitutions used to be a bit reactive - shutting the stable door jobs, but he has been better over the last season. I'd be interested to know whether Anyinsah was injured or not properly fit, before holding forth on the wisdom of subbing him.

All in all we tend to look defensively organised under Parky, and yesterday was no different, where it falls down is in the attacking play. Parky was a defensive midfielder, Kins a CM and Breaker a defender, I'm wondering aloud here - but perhaps as a unit they are all a bit too defensively minded and they and our strikers/attacking midfielders aren't able to relate to each other. Maybe we need to get in a coach who has playing/coaching experience up the other end of the park from the goal mouth.