Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many of the current squad are Championship quality?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]It's ridiculous to try to judge the players or the manager on what you assume their response will be to something that hasn't even happened yet, and may never do.

But perfectly OK to 'cross that bridge when we come to it' ... and find that there is no bridge?
    At which point you look for an alternative way of getting across. Better that than never making it as far as the river, because you sold your shoes to buy an inflatable dinghy on the offchance that the bridge might be out.

Fair enough.

Do you want to buy an inflatable dinghy?
  • Options
    How much?
  • Options
    Sometimes you just don't know. I agree with those who say we need to focus on League 1 and deal with the Championship when it comes- hopefully next season. I would have thought we would try to keep our midfield 2 - and priorities would be a striker or 2 and a centre half should we be successful this term.
  • Options
    Racon
    Semedo
    Martin
    Reid
    Daily
    Doc
    JJ
    And with a bit more experience Solly.
  • Options
    Elliot too.
  • Options
    I'm no fan of Varney, but virtually everyone said his best position was inside left or inside right. Where has Olly had best success with him? Funnily enough it seems inside right. He can't score off the shoulder of well organised defences, he has to run oblique angles or pick up a one-two deeper where he runs onto defenders; like when he came on against Preston and set up Iwelumo. As a pure forward Varney is not champ class, and'll prob be in a relegation team. If we'd have packed the triers like Holland and Varney into the team, in a 4-5-1 we may have had a workable autumn in 208-2009.

Lawrie.... Millwall took the piss out of Hull, and were much better than Coventry. I always thought that Millwall's excellent attacking play would get them through at home, but they have one properly competent defensive player in the front six atm. Unless Carter and Trotter play together, they will get whacked away from home in winter. It was just a massive surprise they fell apart against Watford. But then Danny Graham was able when he was a lone striker to pick anyone of their defenders and win ball/take the piss out of them/ and wait for the electric Sordell who was never far away.

That is why we went down in 2008-2009, whereas Watford had a very solid backline and a incisive/agressive midfield; both their center half and center forward were outstanding, with the young Sordell very close behind.. Only Fortune and Hudson operated as a unit; with maybe Ward and Hudson later on. The champ is full of shit players but the teams are much better organised, and you can for almost every team immediately recognise the formation they play.

Do you remember how shit at the Valley Coventry were against us in 2007-2009? But when they beat us, they were efficently setup and Danny Fox took the piss on the left hand side. One factor and organisation, won them the match. If we had Danny Graham up front and maybe Borrowdale, Parky's team could stay up in the champ; without excessive injuries in the first 14-15 players. Parky's teams are setup right, unlike Pardew who believes packing in midget touch players who don't challenge for 50-50 will win out. Many of our players could cope in the championship but atm we need a driving presence in midfield, but mainly up front. Pardew spent millions and signed no driving presence, the nearest he got was Bailey and his excellent offensive skills were offset by a trying but erratic defensive game.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]How much?

Well now. Let me see ...

This is not just any inflatable dinghy, uncle. Oh, no. This is the inflatable dinghy that will rescue us all from the shipwreck that is Charlton Athletic.

£30 million should do it.

Plus a pair of shoes.
  • Options
    Sold if you chuck in a pair of wellies just in case it springs a leak.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]I was talking to a Millwall mate after the Watford pasting and he said it's been such a long time since they were in that division he was shocked at the difference in standard between Division 3 (league one) and Division 2 (championship). As a fan of 30 odd years he's had lots of experience of yo-yoing between the two and doesn't think the diference has ever been so great.

I'm confused by the Millwall fan's opinion. They've gone from 3rd in League 1 to 12th in the Championship and he expected to be doing better?? The last three promoted playoff winners only just survived.

I've seen a bit of Championship football this year. There's a step up in pace, and skill to some extent (not always), but I don't think the difference is too much. That said, the gap in finances between L1 and the Championship is close in relative terms to the gap between the Championship and the Premier League.
  • Options
    Martin, Semdo, Dailly, Reid, Racon and Fortune are the only ones that would cut it imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jackson, Dailly, Fortune, Semedo & Racon