Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Commonwealth Games - English "National Anthem"

Comments

• Options
    LOHAG for me too. I likes me anthems rousing. The Marcha Real is pretty pants, but at least has that slight military quality to it which is at least a little stirring. Jerusalem should be left where it belongs - in church. GSTQ is the worst anthem in the history of the universe.
  • Options
    In my book you don't "choose" your team and you certainly don't "choose" your anthem.

You don't have to like it, agree with the sentiment, or anything like that, but it is what it is.

That's it.

(Christ, have I just done what I asked others not to?)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Jerusalem is just great. Makes every English win all the better.

(Just dragging up a debate from the last time)
  • Options

Personally if we're not allowed the Archers theme then I'd opt for 'I vow to thee my country'.

• Options
    I love hearing Jerusalem as our national anthem
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Ha, I'm not mad on it. Find it a bit of a dirge and not right that's title is the name of another countries capital.

I dont there is anything more rousing or 'English' than Land of Hope and Glory, and can't believe so many don't feel the same.

• Options
    Shit, old thread. Just nervously checked back to see if I completely contradicted myself from 4 years ago.

No. Phew.
  • Options

Ha, I'm not mad on it. Find it a bit of a dirge and not right that's title is the name of another country.

I dont there is anything more rousing or 'English' than Land of Hope and Glory, and can't believe so many don't feel the same.

If I saw the English flag being hoisted up to Land of Hope and Glory then I'd probably love that too, but Jerusalem is a lot better than GSTQ, so that's probably why I'm appreciating it so much.
  • Options
    should we use the Liberty Bell March?

• Options

Ha, I'm not mad on it. Find it a bit of a dirge and not right that's title is the name of another country.

Spooky. I just had this exact same conversation on a Facebook thread and totally agree with you. Much as I like Jerusalem, it will always feel like a rugby song to me. LOHAG is the dog's bollocks. It should replace God Save the German/Greek Queen/King ad the British national anthem, never mind the English one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LOHAG feels more British to me. I might be wrong and have missed lyrics.
  • Options
    deffo land of hope and glory for me, though partial to the pistols version of gstq.
  • Options
    Don't they sing LOHAG at the proms though and wave those silly little Union Jack flags around?
  • Options
    Jeruselum all day but it's a bugger to sing.

PS. It's a city not a country AFKA
  • Options

Don't they sing LOHAG at the proms though and wave those silly little Union Jack flags around?

Along with Jerusalem, Rule Britannia and even Auld Lang Syne
  • Options
    redcarter said:

Fair enough, never watch it just seen clips and they are always singing LOHAG
  • Options

redcarter said:

Fair enough, never watch it just seen clips and they are always singing LOHAG
    The last half hour or so is superb.
  • Options
    I vow to thee my country. Not political, doesn't speak of war, perfect for today's English multicultural society.
  • Options

Spooky. I just had this exact same conversation on a Facebook thread and totally agree with you. Much as I like Jerusalem, it will always feel like a rugby song to me. LOHAG is the dog's bollocks. It should replace God Save the German/Greek Queen/King ad the British national anthem, never mind the English one.
    The England cricket team uses Jerusalem as well, so it does have acceptance as an 'English" sporting anthem
  • Options
    LOHAG and Rule Britannia are songs about Great Britain and not England. Jerusalem is about England hence it's position and adoption by Cricket for a number of years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh and as a practically tone deaf person, it really is not a different hymn to sing.
  • Options
    Love jerusalem ,was my school hymn as well.How about Missed Again by Phil Collins for our English Football anthem
  • Options
    All the other 'Home' nations have their own 'national anthem' and years ago if I am correct Jerusalem was ours but deemed not correct so we were pretty much told to have 'God save the Queen' same as the St Georges Flag it brings up empire building which was politically incorrect. something like that anyway
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    magic1999 said:

All the other 'Home' nations have their own 'national anthem' and years ago if I am correct Jerusalem was ours but deemed not correct so we were pretty much told to have 'God save the Queen' same as the St Georges Flag it brings up empire building which was politically incorrect. something like that anyway

I don't think you are correct. I would imagine the British flag (given it was the British Empire) and a song dedicated to the nominal "emperor" of that empire are probably more closely associated with "empire building".
  • Options

The England cricket team uses Jerusalem as well, so it does have acceptance as an 'English" sporting anthem
    I wonder how the Welsh feel about that?
  • Options
    Jerusalem was my schools song, and when sung well is a properly good anthem for a country, and land of hope and glory is excellent too, both are much better and more rousing than god save the Queen
  • Options

I wonder how the Welsh feel about that?
    Or the South Africans !
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

I vow to thee my country. Not political, doesn't speak of war, perfect for today's English multicultural society.

It doesnt obviously mention war Oz Addick as they usually only play the first verse but was written by Cecil Spring Rice, as a memorial to the sacrifice in the Great War after his younger brother Lt Spring Rice was killed just before the Somme whilst serving with the 11th (Lonsdales) Border Regt.

• Options
    Just realised LOHAG = land of hope and glory.

Was thinking why do they want a welsh named song for a national anthem?
  • Options
    good on them.