Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Commonwealth Games - English "National Anthem"

13»

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:

I love hearing Jerusalem as our national anthem

Ha, I'm not mad on it. Find it a bit of a dirge and not right that's title is the name of another country.

I dont there is anything more rousing or 'English' than Land of Hope and Glory, and can't believe so many don't feel the same.

Spooky. I just had this exact same conversation on a Facebook thread and totally agree with you. Much as I like Jerusalem, it will always feel like a rugby song to me. LOHAG is the dog's bollocks. It should replace God Save the German/Greek Queen/King ad the British national anthem, never mind the English one.
    The England cricket team uses Jerusalem as well, so it does have acceptance as an 'English" sporting anthem
    I wonder how the Welsh feel about that?
    Or the South Africans !
    Or the Irish!
  • Options
    The best anthem sung at sporting events is The Welsh at Rugby. 60,000 Welshmen singing Land of my Fathers at the Millennium Stadium is, frankly, spine tingling
  • Options

The best anthem sung at sporting events is The Welsh at Rugby. 60,000 Welshmen singing Land of my Fathers at the Millennium Stadium is, frankly, spine tingling

Shame we won't hear it at the Commonwealth Games.

• Options

I'll raise you! The Marseillaise at Parc Des Princes. Wow...
  • Options

Swing Low at Parc Des Princes is even better.
  • Options
    VFR at wembley, the ultimate amthem.
  • Options

As much as it pains me to say it I think Flower of Scotland at its best beats it.
  • Options

Yep, at le Stade is phenomenal

• Options
    Croydon said:

Yep, at le Stade is phenomenal

The French and Italian anthems are top IMO.
  • Options

I love hearing Jerusalem as our national anthem

Ha, I'm not mad on it. Find it a bit of a dirge and not right that's title is the name of another countries capital.

I dont there is anything more rousing or 'English' than Land of Hope and Glory, and can't believe so many don't feel the same.

Tel Aviv!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I hope it catches on - we should have it for the football team and other sports too. God save the queen should only be for the British anthem.

This
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

ozaddick said:

I vow to thee my country. Not political, doesn't speak of war, perfect for today's English multicultural society.

It doesnt obviously mention war Oz Addick as they usually only play the first verse but was written by Cecil Spring Rice, as a memorial to the sacrifice in the Great War after his younger brother Lt Spring Rice was killed just before the Somme whilst serving with the 11th (Lonsdales) Border Regt.

Ok. Thank you, I'll listen to it again with a new perspective now knowing that.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

ozaddick said:

I vow to thee my country. Not political, doesn't speak of war, perfect for today's English multicultural society.

It doesnt obviously mention war Oz Addick as they usually only play the first verse but was written by Cecil Spring Rice, as a memorial to the sacrifice in the Great War after his younger brother Lt Spring Rice was killed just before the Somme whilst serving with the 11th (Lonsdales) Border Regt.

Mate

I love your knowledge on this sort of stuff

When my business dies down I need to come and see you and arrange a tour

• Options

SE7toSG3 said:

ozaddick said:

Mate

I love your knowledge on this sort of stuff

When my business dies down I need to come and see you and arrange a tour

He makes a load of it up :-)

• Options
    It is a little known fact that the anthem of the English lepers team at the 1189 Olympics held in Jerusalem was the Hokey Cokey.
  • Options
    Greatest question so far at the Games...