Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paolo Sousa

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Let's speculate a little & assume from here Parkinson goes on a poor run of results married with more insipid performances & the bulk of the crowd turn against him.

What would you make of Paolo Sousa as a potential Charlton manager.

I wouldn't be unhappy. He was booted from Leicester due to a poor start (he was given the first 8 games). Criticised for playing too much tippy-tappy pass it around football (kind of like Poyet is doing at Brighton it seems).

Woudl we have the players to adapt to a passing game?

Comments

• Options
    Says in the SLP that he may have just 2 games to save his job.

Wonder if it's something they have actaully heard or just guessing.
  • Options
    What's his win percentage? Very poor I think

I stand to be corrected but believe his tippy tappy passing wasn't creating much
  • Options
    No winning mentality. Not what we neeed right now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]What's his win percentage? Very poor I think

I stand to be corrected but believe his tippy tappy passing wasn't creating much

I think he did well with Swansea last season, 7th in the FL with a team punching well above their weight.

If Parky is given more time to screw things up here & this season becomes a write off, I would like to see a replacement brought in for the long term with a view to fundamentally changing the way we play & the whole coaching/scouting set up.

Any team looking for long term success needs to be set up for the modern, "multinational" way of playing football.

Even in Parky gets us up, I still think we'll be drawing on his journeyman knowledge of journeyman players which will only get us so far.

Sousa seems to have the right background & the right way of playing.

Finances would be the issue, but he must have a ton of contacts in European football to help us develop the youth aspect of our development.

It's hard when we are all fixed so short term on remedying the malaise that Parky has been instrumental in creating - I would like to see someone who has a bit of long term vision & modernist thinking about the game.
  • Options
    I remember when Costa played for us ,Sousa was briefly linked with us as a player because he was also out of favour at a big club who wanted to play to get into Portugal's World Cup team .

I wouldn't be unhappy if ( and only if ) Parky is sacked.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    He was supposed to be pretty terrible at Leicester, playing players out of position, loads of passing with no end result and a lack of plan B. Did well at Swansea and it was only their inability to score more than cost them a play-off spot. Pretty much most manager being speculated about on here have had both good and bad records at previous clubs so it#s hard to say really
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]What's his win percentage? Very poor I think

33.3%, worse than some of the other managers I posted on the other thread but better than Chris Coleman, although Coleman has managed over 3 times as many games and most of those in the prem
  • Options
    Passing game is better! ANYTHING different is better! blasting the ball up field 90% of the time is getting annoying now!
  • Options
    I believe it was me who raised this possibility in another thread...

I'd take Sousa. He Did well at QPR and Swansea. Wasn't given the time and Leicester and was victim of new owners wanting their own man.

Sousa and Phil Brown would be my first choices.
  • Options
    Didnt he say Palace shouldve been relegated for going into admin? Get him in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I believe it was me who raised this possibility in another thread...

I'd take Sousa. He Did well at QPR and Swansea. Wasn't given the time and Leicester and was victim of new owners wanting their own man.

Sousa and Phil Brown would be my first choices.

I hate Phil Brown with a passion horrible horrible bloke, then again who knows if he won games I may be able to get over my animosity
  • Options
    Yeah Sousa for the job!!! :-)
  • Options
    Interesting one. Not been a manager long anywhere to really judge.

I'd love to see good passing football here, but only when a manager feels it's possible. More extreme example look at John Barnes, tried to turn a direct Tranmere side into a passing one, and we thrashed them 4-0 away from home, and Semedo scored. He had a terrible record there, not just when we played them.

Sousa's stats-
    http://www.soccerbase.com/managers2.sd?managerid=2135

Wins 33%
    Draws 36%
    Lost 29%

Not great, but a limited amount of games.

As a comparison Parky's record just here is 36% wins 31% draws 31% defeats and over Parky's managerial career he has 38% wins 29% draws defeats 31%

So on Sousa I'd say we'd be taking a gamble and hoping that a young manager has learnt from his experiences so far and just needs time and the right club. Can we give him that time and are we the right club for him? Is he even a good manager or just a big name? Can't be judged properly yet on his career so far.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Let's speculate a little & assume from here Parkinson goes on a poor run of results married with more insipid performances & the bulk of the crowd turn against him.

What would you make of Paolo Sousa as a potential Charlton manager.

I wouldn't be unhappy. He was booted from Leicester due to a poor start (he was given the first 8 games). Criticised for playing too much tippy-tappy pass it around football (kind of like Poyet is doing at Brighton it seems).

Woudl we have the players to adapt to a passing game?

What I think people don't realise, having read various threads and not been to any games for the past 2 months, is that Brighton have a significant wage bill and good players that Poyet has been canny to hire. They'll be prem in 3 years and we shouldn't lose perspective.

As for Souza, as fair as his record may be, I don't think he's a Charlton manager. I think we should stick with Parkinson (I know, contraversial) or get Lennie back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Interesting one. Not been a manager long anywhere to really judge.

I'd love to see good passing football here, but only when a manager feels it's possible. More extreme example look at John Barnes, tried to turn a direct Tranmere side into a passing one, and we thrashed them 4-0 away from home, and Semedo scored. He had a terrible record there, not just when we played them.

Sousa's stats-
    http://www.soccerbase.com/managers2.sd?managerid=2135

Wins 33%
    Draws 36%
    Lost 29%

Not great, but a limited amount of games.

As a comparison Parky's record just here is 36% wins 31% draws 31% defeats and over Parky's managerial career he has 38% wins 29% draws defeats 31%

So on Sousa I'd say we'd be taking a gamble and hoping that a young manager has learnt from his experiences so far and just needs time and the right club. Can we give him that time and are we the right club for him? Is he even a good manager or just a big name? Can't be judged properly yet on his career so far.

I think he is a better call than Paulo di Canio at the very least.

I guess it depends whether we have the players to adapt to his (or someone else who plays that way's) style of football. I was reading comments from Leicester fans on how he tried to get the centre backs to play the ball out of defence & having witnessed Leicester's shocking performance at Portsmouth he failed in that respect.

I don't know the current Charlton squad well enough to know whether a shorter passing game suits the individuals better than the long ball, direct approach.
  • Options
    No, no and No. He only had success at Swansea where Martinez had built a European style passing squad. We do not have that.

He was awful at Leicester with Pearson's quite good pragmatic English squad. What do you think the style of football is we need to get out of League One?

He'd have to sign a whole bunch of Europeans and it'd be next season if ever we'd start competing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]What do you think the style of football is we need to get out of League One?

Something like Brighton's?
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind him, like I said about Di Canio, I would absolutely hate a Martin Allen or Kevin Blackwell to come here and play even worse football than at the moment and get applauded for having a go at the referee.

I'm one of the few to have not completely given up on Racon and a continental manager could be great for him. Dailly is quite comfortable on the ball as well so should be fine with passing out of the defence.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Managerial stats for Sousa are better than I thought. May not be a bad shout TBH.
  • Options
    NO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite]Managerial stats for Sousaare better than I thought. May not be a bad shout TBH.

It's all just speculation, but i see no reason why a team playing decent football cannot prosper in this league & more importantly the one above. Did any of Millwall, Leeds or Norwich play the combative, long ball, direct game last season. I don't know - just asking?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite]Managerial stats for Sousaare better than I thought. May not be a bad shout TBH.

It's all just speculation, but i see no reason why a team playing decent football cannot prosper in this league & more importantly the one above. Did any of Millwall, Leeds or Norwich play the combative, long ball, direct game last season. I don't know - just asking?

a team playing football our lot cant even pass the ball or control it matter of fact do they actually know what a football looks like.
  • Options
    Unless you have a squad to play nice passing football, or one that really suit long ball, shouldn't you mix it up?

Maybe others will disagree, but we don't play a long ball game. We do mix it up. More recently especially it has been about getting it down the wings and getting crosses in. We do try long balls but we pass it out as well. If we were just a long ball team, Benson for one wouldn't be talking about having to adapt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]No, no and No. He only had success at Swansea where Martinez had built a European style passing squad. We do not have that.

He was awful at Leicester with Pearson's quite good pragmatic English squad. What do you think the style of football is we need to get out of League One?

He'd have to sign a whole bunch of Europeans and it'd be next season if ever we'd start competing.
    Agree with this
  • Options
    I wouldnt say that we are a long ball team in the standard of colchester last year they were direct to the point, if the manager was able to give our current squad of players confridence i think we could play either way very successfully( would love to Souza get the job number 1 choice at the moment if Parkinson does go)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Something like Brighton's?

And when they do go measured direct, is that the style that Murray puts his head/foot on the ball in the back of the net? Is that the one where Brighton have spent big cash for this division, and waved away when Dickinson didn't make it? Is that the one when they sign loads of well known league one players, on the best wages in the div for free? Is that the one when where they sign the captain of Alvae on a three year contract? Is that the one when they signed the Swindon captain for around £250,000? Is that the one when they sack a manager they open a cheque book and sign almost a whole new first 11?

Yeah great logical comparison. Cos if we get one of the best midfielders of the 90's in, we're gonna open our cheque book to create a Med style passing team. Nice logic. We ain't got a squad that can play measure Med style, and we ain't got the cash to sign it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Unless you have a squad to play nice passing football, or one that really suit long ball, shouldn't you mix it up?

Maybe others will disagree, but we don't play a long ball game. We do mix it up. More recently especially it has been about getting it down the wings and getting crosses in. We do try long balls but we pass it out as well. If we were just a long ball team, Benson for one wouldn't be talking about having to adapt.

I am sure Swansea played long balls last year at times. In fact look at the second goal here.

You wouldn't play one style of football in isolation from another.

My point about Sousa, is that his age, playing background & football philosophy fits the type of manager I would personally prefer to see at Charlton sometime in the future. He is known for being demanding, petulant & probably a bit arrogant - not necessarily ideal qualities so I do have my doubts about him.

I would prefer this, to an in-yer-face, up & at 'em type - as that may get short term results, but unless the manager is exceptionally gifted it invariably leads to failure.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Something like Brighton's?

And when they do go measured direct, is that the style that Murray puts his head/foot on the ball in the back of the net? Is that the one where Brighton have spent big cash for this division, and waved away when Dickinson didn't make it? Is that the one when they sign loads of well known league one players, on the best wages in the div for free? Is that the one when where they sign the captain of Alvae on a three year contract? Is that the one when they signed the Swindon captain for around £250,000? Is that the one when they sack a manager they open a cheque book and sign almost a whole new first 11?

Yeah great logical comparison. Cos if we get one of the best midfielders of the 90's in, we're gonna open our cheque book to create a Med style passing team. Nice logic. We ain't got a squad that can play measure Med style, and we ain't got the cash to sign it.

It's called a debate Colin. Calm down you'll give yourself a friggin' coronary man!!

They spent $250k on Greer. So did we on Benson.

Calderon was a free agent & had left Alaves when Brighton signed him.

Most of the rest came in on frees from reserve team squads at Championship or Lower League level.

Ankergren - one of your two well know Leauge One players - Leeds reserve
    El-Abd - been with them since 2003
    Painter - cruciate victim at Swasea, hadnt played for them in 3 months before Poyet took a gamble bringing him in on loan
    Calderon - released by Alaves, without a club for 6 months - inspired signing no doubt contacts within the game
    Greer - £250k - our Benson - or even our Docherty who was outstanding with Norwich last season, but seems to be struggling this time round.
    Dicker -free transfer from L2 Stockport
    Bennett - free transfer from Wolves where he never played a league game
    Kishishev - free from Liteks Lovech - great signing
    Sparrow - came from Scunthorpe - no arguments that he will be on a good salary
    Murray - cost £300k back in Jan 2008, has developed well under Poyet
    Barnes - plucked from Plymouth reserves after a spell on loan at Torquay

Cannot agree at all with your comments.

Yes Sparrow & Ankgeren came in on free at good wages.
    Yes they matched our spend on Benson with Greer.

The rest were all either already there or were languisihing in obscurity.
  • Options
    Poyet yes - Sousa no.
  • Options
    Casper Ankergren , played 30 plus games for Leeds last season. Hardly a reserve.

Agustin Battipiedi and Cristian Baz, both came in from Argentina. No doubt on good wages, and definitely with a nice juicy fat finders fee for an agent; even if they were from an Argie lower league side.

Peter Brezovan from Swindon, no doubt on decent wages.

Ashley Barnes, signed for an undisclosed fee.

Matt Sparrow as you say.

Kazenga Lua Lua, no doubt paying a fair bit towards his prem wages.

Claderon offered contract by Soton, then re-signed by Brighton. Undoubtebly good wages, and initial agent signing on fee.

Francisco Sandaza, signed from Dundee. Again no doubt very good wages for a League one side.

Marcos Painter signed from Swansea, via Brimingham. Again no doubt on good wages, prob champ level.

Kish, won't be cheap wages.

All above are specifically Poyet's signings. He could play a whole new team if he wanted. If we go through Russel Slade we'll see another ten or so signings, with Liam Dickinson for 300,000, and a fair few from MK Dons players who'd have increased their wages. So basically you are utterly wrong and ill-considered. 'Our' Benson was the first real significant money spent since Bailey, yet Brighton have backed Adams, Slade and Poyet in that time allowing all to re-assemble and spend on their teams. Brighton pay big wages for this div, and spleen a big debt.

A considered discussion is one that takes in all the facts, not just those you wish to present. If it's your considered oppinion that you think Murray should dip into his pocket and sign off the conservative 1-2 mill the above would cost in transfer fees, agent fees, signing on fees, and player wages so that you could have your one success twice failed Sousa than I suggest you should twaddle off to Champ manager and live in your fantasy world.

By all means make a suggestion, but try and make it have a tiny piece of reality in it.