Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players who have played in unusual positions

This was inspired by Henry's quiz earlier today which reminded me of Mike Kenning playing badly at left back. I'm not including late tactical changes or comical situations such as a limping David Shipperley playing on the wing as a passenger.

A few come to mind:

Mike Kenning - of course
John Hewie - of course he played every where
Paul Went - played centre forward

Comments

• Options
    king arthur played at centre half
  • Options
    Paul Konchesky played a couple of games at RB which was strange, cannot remember how good/bad he did but sure he played there when we beat Spurs 1-0 in 2000 at The Valley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]This was inspired by Henry's quiz earlier today which reminded me of Mike Kenning playing badly at left back. I'm not including late tactical changes or comical situations such as a limping David Shipperley playing on the wing as a passenger.

A few come to mind:

Mike Kenning - of course

I think John Hewie was selected as goalkeeper for a few matches when we had an injury crisis despite being an outfield player and Scottish international left back!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Paul Konchesky played a couple of games at RB which was strange, cannot remember how good/bad he did but sure he played there when we beat Spurs 1-0 in 2000 at The Valley.

He played right back when we drew 2-2 at Derby in the Prem too. Not sure of the year offhand.
  • Options
    Killer played in goal...
  • Options
    I remember Phil Chapple unsuccessfully playing up front!
  • Options
    Marcus Bent - Striker!
  • Options
    Simon Francis - Right Back
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]This was inspired by Henry's quiz earlier today which reminded me of Mike Kenning playing badly at left back. I'm not including late tactical changes or comical situations such as a limping David Shipperley playing on the wing as a passenger.

A few come to mind:

Mike Kenning - of course
    Paul Went - played centre forward[/quote]

I think John Hewie was selected as goalkeeper for a few matches when we had an injury crisis despite being an outfield player and Scottish international left back![/quote]
    http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=30737&page=1#Item_0
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]This was inspired by Henry's quiz earlier today which reminded me of Mike Kenning playing badly at left back. I'm not including late tactical changes or comical situations such as a limping David Shipperley playing on the wing as a passenger.

A few come to mind:

Mike Kenning - of course

I think John Hewie was selected as goalkeeper for a few matches when we had an injury crisis despite being an outfield player and Scottish international left back!

Yes, John Hewie played three games in goal, I believe. The one I remember was at home to Plymouth Argyle, which I think we won 3-0 or 3-1. In the opening minutes, there was a comical moment when the ball run one of Hewie's arms, round the back of his neck and back down the other arm. It's not often you see a football crowd laugh in unison.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    morts played a few games at centre back/sweeper.
  • Options
    Llera plays at centre half. That seems like a f***ing strange position for him most of the time.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]morts played a few games at centre back/sweeper.[/quote]

Don't remind me. we were coming up to the Palace game in 1989-90, and Morty had played a couple of games at Centre Back. Word was Tommy Caton was fit, but Lennie decided to stick with Morts - against Wright and Bright in their pomp. It worked OK for about 45 seconds, then Morts left a back pass short which Ian Wright seized on. Bob Bolder took him out, and somehow avoided a card. From the free kick....

Not holding Morts responsible, but that was one of the all time worst Charlton days, the nearest I came to turning my back on them. It made last saturday feel like Wembley 1998.
  • Options
    Seem to remember Eddie Youds going up front against Wimbledon at Selhurst on Boxing Day
  • Options
    Sam bartram played left back left back for bolden villa.
  • Options
    Steve Brown was pretty handy everywhere on the pitch including in goal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: happyvalley[/cite]king arthur played at centre half

I wrote to Andy Nelson demanding King Arthur plays up front, the reply was non existent!!

Carlton Cole have heard he has tried all sorts of positions.
  • Options
    John Humphrey at centre back v Crystal Palace at Selhurst in the Zenith/Simod/Full Members thingy (lost 2-0 and didn't have a shot).

Steve Gritt at centre back away to Manchester United (we lost 3-0)

Steve Gritt at sweeper in a 5 man defence away to Oxford United (we lost 5-0)

Ronnie Moore at centre back for a lot of season 84-85. He did ok, especially away to Spurs in the cup when he was outstanding.
  • Options
    Think John Terry used to fill in when his left back was out.
  • Options
    Remember Konch playing right wing one game, I think it was vs Leicester in the FA Cup a few years back... just looked plain weird!

On a related note, in the late 80s at Dartford I remember a player called Mark Keen. A defender by trade, he tended to get asked to fill in wherever else was needed. There was one season where he played several games starting in goal, keeping a couple of clean sheets, and in the same season also got stuck up front for a few matches, knocking in a cheeky four goals in one game. How's that for versatile? :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andy Peake in goal against Southampton in 86
  • Options
    Eddie Youds upfront at Wimbledon (Selhurst)
  • Options
    Danny Butterfield upfront for palace scoring a hattrick?
  • Options
    Paul Benson - Striker.........
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Marcus Bent - Pro footballer.
  • Options
    Hasselbaink playing Attacking midfielder/second striker against Pompey in 2006.

Pouso literally on his own in midfield against pompey in 2006.

Konchesky as a defensive midfielder a few times in 2004/05 season was weird but he did okay.

Also special mention to Les reeds 5-4-1 formation against Middlesbrough in 2006, i dont think anyone knew where they were playing in that game!
  • Options
    Holland played a few games at centre back in the last relegation season. Never really let anyone down there...
  • Options
    DaxDax
    edited October 2010
    Lisbie played on the right wing V Arsenal

pretty sure david james once played as a striker for man city on a last day of the season a couple of years ago
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Dax[/cite]pretty sure david james once played as a striker for man city on a last day of the season a couple of years ago

He did indeed, and he was terrible. It says something when you're an outfield player and you get substituted for David James. That's one almighty kick in the balls. I seem to remember that being a game Man City had to win to get European football as well, and Fowler had a last minute penalty saved v Boro.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dax[/cite]pretty sure david james once played as a striker for man city on a last day of the season a couple of years ago

He did indeed, and he was terrible. It says something when you're an outfield player and you get substituted for David James. That's one almighty kick in the balls. I seem to remember that being a game Man City had to win to get European football as well, and Fowler had a last minute penalty saved v Boro.
    Said more about the striker on the bench, Macken I think.