Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dartford toll crossing charge to increase to £2.50 per car

edited October 2010 in Not Sports Related
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/8464117.DARTFORD__Tolls_to_increase_on_Dartford_Crossing/

Annoyed me the most out of all recent changes and announcements. £5 return to cross the Thames. Who remembers the government saying the tolls would be removed after it had paid for itself which was years ago? Now the charge has gone up 150% within 2 years. It's not as if motorists get a cheap deal anyway,

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I remember that. Disgraceful profiteering.
  • Options
    Aparently, the powers that be have now decided that the toll is some kind of Congestion Charge. What they conveniently disregard is that there was no congestion when the tolls had to be left open when there was that massive power cut a while back.

£2.50 is just extortionate.
  • Options
    Another case to add to rip off Britain.....stealth tax should really be made illegal
  • Options
    Im not paying a fiver to go to lakeside or to watch the speedway, blackwall tunnel or ferry from now on 5 quid to use it and get home is taking the piss i thought it was just a toll till it was paid for which it was some years ago.
  • Options
    Great - that's £5 a day for the toll in addition to my 100 mile round trip!

I did hear they are getting rid of the toll booths though in favour of some form of number plate reading technology
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Great - that's £5 a day for the toll in addition to my 100 mile round trip!

I did hear they are getting rid of the toll booths though in favour of some form of number plate reading technology

They already have full ANPR on the toll already.
  • Options
    That is an absolute f***ing joke.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Great - that's £5 a day for the toll in addition to my 100 mile round trip!

They already have full ANPR on the toll already.

I think it's the aspect of charging that causes the headache but the sooner they sort that the better - that way I might get to work on time
  • Options
    Apparently its to fund the new crossing they plan to build - thats according to someone I work with
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Apparently its to fund the new crossing they plan to build - thats according to someone I work with

They dont need to build a new crossing, its the tolls that cause the congestion.....just tear it down, that way they fulfill their promise not to charge once its paid for which was many years ago and cuts out the congestion at the same time. Simple!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Apparently its to fund the new crossing they plan to build - thats according to someone I work with

They canceled the plans for the new crossing about 18 months ago.
  • Options
    Do something to protest like the French.

Complaining on the internet wont change anything but causing a demonstration or blockade and causing the authorities a headache will at least make The Man sit up and take notice.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Can someone explain to me why the rail fares will increase so drastically? Im not quite comprehending that one.
  • Options
    Ooh just comng up to the time that the Blackwall is going to be shut to the masses for months to allow Olympic flunkeys to travel to the horse riding events in peace. What a co-incidence.
  • Options
    Just saying to a workmate that if this was France or Greece then they would of burnt the bridge to the floor by now!

Here we will just moan about it a lot and gradually learn to accept being shafted again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]

Here we will just moan about it a lot and gradually learn to accept being shafted again.

Bit like Charlton really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Just saying to a workmate that if this was France or Greece then they would of burnt the bridge to the floor by now!

spot on.

Apathy....the detriment of the modern Brit.
  • Options
    Burning the bridge down will make my commute even worse that it's current shocking state.

The last thing I'd want to do is be likened to a Frenchman anyway!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If it really was a congestion charge they shouldn't charge at weekends except perhaps for freight
  • Options
    Remember, we are all in this together, we must share the pain. Big society
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]If it really was a congestion charge they shouldn't charge at weekends except perhaps for freight

It's just a p!ss-poor excuse to generate more income.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Can someone explain to me why the rail fares will increase so drastically? Im not quite comprehending that one.

Because they can? They know the vast majority of people will still pay it regardless.
  • Options
    problem is it isnt shared equally is it, if it were they would raise the basic rate of tax a bit, instead it seems to be us middle income families that get all the pain, but that's another thread I guess. Ah well
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Do something to protest like the French.

Complaining on the internet wont change anything but causing a demonstration or blockade and causing the authorities a headache will at least make The Man sit up and take notice.

Agree 100%. A blockade will be the only way that this stands a chance of being reversed. I'll get my thermos and blankets ready.
  • Options
    Bet Lakeside and Bluewater will be fuming, will have a big impact.

I know i'd think twice about nipping over to Lakeside if it costs me a fiver before i start.

Likely to have a big impact on the A2 and Blackwell Tunnel as well.
  • Options
    After yesterday's announcement on the spending round, if this is anyone's biggest concern then I would suggest - and I wait to be shot down - then you haven't got too much to worry about. I'm much more concerned about the hundreds of thousands of people in both the private and public sectors who will lose their jobs and the poor, sick and disabled who are going to be shafted in a way Thatcher could only have dreamed of.

Things like this, sadly, are a mere taster of what is to come as local authorities and other public bodies everywhere try and claw back the revenue that was taken away from them yesterday.

But, never fear. As charltonkeston says, it's important to remember we are all in this together. That extra 50p might be painful now but it will lead to a bright, rosy future, from which we will all benefit. And pigs might fly and Parky might lead us to promotion.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Just done a search and it seems we were having almost the same thoughts exactly a year ago. What's the betting it'll be the same again 1n 2011? Oh, and as far as I know the crossing is still run by a French led consortim on behalf of the government!
  • Options
    Lets hope they keep the local residence scheme unchanged, at moment only pay 10p each way (or is it 20p cant remember now) as i use the ******* thing each day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune 82nd Minute[/cite]After yesterday's announcement on the spending round, if this is anyone's biggest concern then I would suggest - and I wait to be shot down - then you haven't got too much to worry about. I'm much more concerned about the hundreds of thousands of people in both the private and public sectors who will lose their jobs and the poor, sick and disabled who are going to be shafted in a way Thatcher could only have dreamed of.

Things like this, sadly, are a mere taster of what is to come as local authorities and other public bodies everywhere try and claw back the revenue that was taken away from them yesterday.

But, never fear. As charltonkeston says, it's important to remember we are all in this together. That extra 50p might be painful now but it will lead to a bright, rosy future, from which we will all benefit. And pigs might fly and Parky might lead us to promotion.

I think its more most people actually know what this one will actually mean. The fall out from the other cut backs are yet to come so the full consequences are unknown.

And having to work till im 65 has pissed me off!
  • Options
    Humber bridge is already £2.70 each way, bit of a s****** for my pal who has to go to Grimsby 3 times a week!!