Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dartford toll crossing charge to increase to £2.50 per car

Comments

• Options
    SE London & Kent always gets shafted. Boris cancelling the Thames Gateway bridge at Thamesmead was stupid. He said it was because funding wasn't confirmed. It never is unless you fight for it, so giving up without a fight and cancelling planning is dumb. And now it's announced Liverpool will get a bridge over the Mersey because they fought for it.

And yep most Europeans wouldn't put up with it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Can someone explain to me why the rail fares will increase so drastically? Im not quite comprehending that one.

You mean you can't understand why train companies which already charge the highest fares in Europe are going to be allowed to charge even more for the pitifully inadequate service that they inflict upon the general public?!

My train hasn't arrived on time for a fortnight. Sometimes it's 2 minutes late, sometimes it's 20, either way it's not good enough. Can't wait til we get some snow and the system grinds to a complete halt yet again.

Anyway, I don't understand why they're being allowed to put the fares up either - I thought they were private companies and therefore not affected by budgetary cuts. I've had enough though, getting a scooter when my season ticket runs out.
  • Options
    must be some way you can bunk it. leave this with me.........
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]must be some way you can bunk it. leave this with me.........[/quote]

ejector seat contraption?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]must be some way you can bunk it. leave this with me.........

Haha. You're the expert on that aren't you?! Getting trickier these days, pesky barriers everywhere and I'm getting too old to spend entire journeys hiding in the toilet from the ticket inspector!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune 82nd Minute[/cite]Thatcher could only have dreamed of.

FFS why do people keep going on about Thatcher?
    That was 32 years ago she came to power
    32 years ago.
    What the hell has it got to do with her and her time?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]

32 years ago.
    Government insisted that it could no longer be a universal provider. More should be left to the market, the voluntary sector and self-help

Possibly because this was one of her central themes. Ring any bells?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]

32 years ago.
    Government insisted that it could no longer be a universal provider. More should be left to the market, the voluntary sector and self-help

Possibly because this was one of her central themes. Ring any bells?

Indeed, not to mention the effect the RTB policiy had on the housing/rental market the effects of which we all 'benefiting' from today.

Anyway this is a thread about the Dartford toll and this is a complete disgrace but I fear it's more a sign of things to come with toll roads springing up everywhere.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    And having to work till im 65 has pissed me off!

66 Curb-it, we live in the age of equality.

As for the dartford River Crossing, KCC have some interesting figures

"1. From the traffic flow information held by KCC, the average daily
    two-way flow in 2009 was 140,510 vehicles of which 16,740 were Heavy Goods
    Vehicles

2. KCC does not hold information about the monthly take in toll fees;
    however we do know that net profit at the Crossing exceeds £40m per annum"

So, as far as I'm concerned, the extra charge isn't justifiable.
  • Options
    Cars stopping to Pay the toll actually creates congestion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    yes, but the justification is that the higher charge will result in less cars going through it in the first place thus easing congestion and we can all put our cars up for sale and use the wonderful public transport network which has also soared in price.
  • Options
    Yes this country has really gone to the dogs hasn't it. If it wasn't for television dulling our brains we would be closer to revolution!!!
  • Options
    I know exactly what Mrs T done in the past, but I don't think she said put the toll up to £2.50 in 2011 did she?
  • Options
    CommentAuthoradamtheaddickCommentTime6 hours ago quote# 5

Im not paying a fiver to go to lakeside or to watch the speedway, blackwall tunnel or ferry from now on 5 quid to use it and get home is taking the piss i thought it was just a toll till it was paid for which it was some years ago.

I'm not paying a fiver to go to Bluewater or to watch Kent play cricket or go to Charlt.......... oh!

Blackwall tunnel it is then!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Humber bridge is already £2.70 each way, bit of a s****** for my pal who has to go to Grimsby 3 times a week!!

Face it, going to Grimsby 3 times a week is bad no matter how much they pay you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Humber bridge is already £2.70 each way, bit of a s****** for my pal who has to go to Grimsby 3 times a week!!

Face it, going to Grimsby 3 times a week is bad no matter how much they pay you.

You have a receipt if you want.
  • Options
    Absolute friggin liberty.

Have the misfortune to cross over to Essex regularly during the week.

Thinking about swimming across to save money but the drugs will get wet.
  • Options
    Didn't the government sell the bridge a year ago? Prob owned by a private company from France or China like everything else in Britain and the reason it was a pound for 17 years and has gone up 150 percent in the last two years

So glad im not going out with the bird from romford anymore
  • Options
    Funnily enough it has been run by a French consortium on behalf of the government for the last few years.
  • Options
    Make it £6 each way. That will stop the congestion and keep the Essex riff raff out of Kent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get a Dart-tag
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Get a Dart-tag

Good idea if you use it a lot. I had a job in Essex for just over a year and I reckon, apart from the cost savings, it saved me about 10 minutes a day.
  • Options
    If people divert from the Dartford crossing, this will also increase the chances of the Blackwall toll being approved & introduced....
  • Options
    Don't worry, it's all the fault of the previous government, according to my MPs official website!

Commenting James Brokenshire said:

"As someone who has campaigned for improvements at the Crossing for several years, I welcome the news that action will finally be taken to ease congestion. Having been stuck in the jams too often myself I know just how frustrating using the QE2 Bridge or the tunnels can be. We need additional capacity as well as interim measures to deal with one of the worst traffic bottle-necks in the country. Today's announcement will start to deliver much needed change.

"Of course increases in toll prices won't be greeted by car horns of approval. No-one wants to see Crossing charges being increased. But that's the sad reality of the economic situation the country finds itself in after the mis-management of the previous government. Motorists can also know that toll charges will help pay for work on the much needed improvements to their journeys across the Thames."

So, it will be improved merely by us paying a fecking fortune to use it - I don't think so!
  • Options
    Dress it up every which way but as ever in what is now effectively a one party state united in servility to the EU the motorist is getting shafted.
  • Options
    It's funny that this topic should come up. I was talking to my parents about this as we went over the bridge last Friday. I had just flown back from France where I had had problems getting petrol due to fuel blockades. With this in mind I also thought that the best solution would be to block the bridge in protest. I would say that this is now imperative now I've learnt that a French company run the show because if there are no protests they will just assume that everyone's happy to pay more. Before you know it you'll be paying a fiver each way. How much will it take to warrant a protest?

P.S: Does anyone know the name of this company?
  • Options
    Who the hell wants to go to Essex anyway?
  • Options
    You can sign here but I doubt it will make any difference. More direct action is needed.

Petition
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Get a Dart-tag

Good idea if you use it a lot. I had a job in Essex for just over a year and I reckon, apart from the cost savings, it saved me about 10 minutes a day.

There's no dedicated Dart-Tag lane anymore, though those who had it before do tend to congregate towards the right hand toll where it was so it is still quicker just nothing like it used to be....
  • Options
    Like most of you, i'm not a fan of the crossings and recall about the tolls being dropped once their cost had been met, but did anyone really ever think that would happen? you're very naive if you did. Once they realised that they'd built themselves a "printing press" they were never gonna give that up. Yes, the price has increased considerably over the last couple of years but until recently it was still a quid and had been for as long as i remember (probably more down to the fact that it's easier to grab a quid than fumble around for £1;20 or whatever)....and if you want to avoid payment completely do what i do, ride a motorbike.