Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players who made a big impact but didn't play many games

I am always surprised by the fact that Ray Crawford only played 21 games for Charlton and Cliff Holton only played 18 games. I have very clear memories of these two wearing the red shirt. Can anyone think of others in this category?

Comments

• Options
    Jorge Costa!
  • Options
    Don't imagine Di Canio actually started many games for us?
  • Options
    When I saw the title of the thread Holton was the first name I would have chosen.

He almost singlehandedly saved us from relegation that season.

Other names: Allan Simonsen and Jorge Costa for me.
  • Options
    John Hendry (5 games, winner v Millwall)

Lee Power (5 games, including back to Valley)

Neil Heaney (6 games, including PO semi legs & final)
  • Options
    Vic Halom comes to mind as well, although I suspect my aging brain either remembers his appearances in the reserves (I never missed a reserve game in those days) or his appearances for several other clubs such as Sunderland, Luton and Fulham.
  • Options
    Jimmy Stannard
  • Options
    Hans Jeppson, Alan McDonald
  • Options
    Jason Lee - 8 appearances on loan (+1 about a decade earlier), 3 goals including 1 in our first victory over Palace for god knows how long.
  • Options
    Djimi Traore didn't play too many.
    However we're still feeling the effects of his 'impact' today.
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs made a big impact on our wage bill if that counts?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    non cafc has to be goalkeeper, jimmy glass, for our opponents on saturday, carlisle.
    scored the goal in the last minute of the season to keep them as a football league side. think he only played about 5 games for them.
  • Options
    Mark bowen mark bright
  • Options
    Alex Song maybe did not make a massive impact but impressed in his short time with us.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Going back a bit Alan Mc Donald did well at centre half.

Also the guy from Middlesbrough Kernaghan (?spelling).

EDIT: just noticed Shirty has aleady mentioned McDonald!
  • Options
    Andy Todd made an impact on Kiely!
  • Options
    David Madden, I think he was ex-palace. I'm not sure why he left, not sure we sold him, but I remeber Spurs in the cup (80's?) and at WHL he ran the show against their midfield superstars. Played half a season I think.
  • Options
    Alan Kernaghan....yep he was very good. Can I add Simon Webster....
  • Options
    On the basis that I think he played less than 25-30 games for us I'd suggest Gordon Watson might be a player who made an impact both in terms of the goals he scored and the fee we got for him.
  • Options
    Linvoy Primus had a great debut.

Whatever happened to him?
  • Options
    Oh dear, time to show my age again: My first visit to the Valley was the occasion of Hans Jeppson's last game for us after scoring 9 goals in 11 games and thus keeping us up in '50;'51. And yes, we went by tram!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Madden came from Arsenal , played one whole season and then left. Looked pretty good in a bad team. He went to Crystal Palace after and did ok.

Jeppson
    Simonsen
    Costa

....would have to be the main three positives who played less than one season. There have been plenty of negatives discussed on previous threads (Mike Small, Mickey Paye, Jim Stannard etc!!!)
  • Options
    Simonsen.
  • Options
    Chris Whyte... he had a bald head
  • Options
    lee power
  • Options
    Gary poole, goal v qpr on debut amazing strike.
  • Options
    Jorge Costa by far the best for me with Simonesen a close second.

What about Bart Williams? Also, who scored a screamer in a friendly against Liverpool? What about the Vin Nuygen (sic), Kimbles - and the really bad players that Mullery signed?

Pates? Caton?
  • Options
    Tommy Caton was brilliant.
  • Options
    Leroy Lita scored some important goals for us in his short loan spell.
  • Options
    Costa
  • Options
    Dickie Plumb
    Cyril Davies
    Maurice Setters (the bandiest legs I've ever seen!)