Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players who made a big impact but didn't play many games

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Hans Jeppson, Alan McDonald
    Alan Mcdonald was by far the best central defender I have seen in a Charlton shirt.Came on loan from QPR when still very young.So upsetting we could have got him for 50,000.
    Same old story we were dead skint again.Rufus was brilliant in an agressive central defending role but Mcdonald played the Italian Libero game to perfection.He was a joy to watch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paul Walsh 79[/cite]
    Alan Mcdonald was by far the best central defender I have seen in a Charlton shirt.Came on loan from QPR when still very young.So upsetting we could have got him for 50,000.
    Same old story we were dead skint again.Rufus was brilliant in an agressive central defending role but Mcdonald played the Italian Libero game to perfection.He was a joy to watch.

Ha ha ha.

Better than Rufus, Costa, Fish, Pates, McLoughlin and on and on ?

Sorry you are so very wrong (IMO). Although I grant you MacDonald was a good Championship level player.
  • Options
    Cliff Holton is a great shout - an early hero

How about Jim Melrose - okay, played a fair few games but definitely left too soon
  • Options
    Without a doubt it has to be Allan Simonsen. I remember him running rings around Ipswich in a great FA Cup tie at The Valley which I think we lost 3-2. Was on the East Terrace that day
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Paul Walsh 79[/cite]

Ha ha ha.

Better than Rufus, Costa, Fish, Pates, McLoughlin and on and on ?

Sorry you are so very wrong (IMO). Although I grant you MacDonald was a good Championship level player.

Matter of opinion Covered End.I saw all those players you mentioned and Rufus would be my favourite especially as Costa did not play for us in his prime.
    Macdonald went to the Mexico World Cup with Northern Ireland and played regularly for some very good QPR sides right up to the early nineties.
    Bye the way did you ever watch Macdonald play for Charlton?
  • Options
    Paul Walsh was another
  • Options
    Macdonald played a solid decade in the top div? Hardly a champ player, and played in the prem side that finished fifth. I remember him being one of the best players outside the top clubs of that era.

Agree on Heaney. Kernaghan looked good to me during his loan. Matty Jackson as well, around a similar time as Jason Lee's loan; at that time Leaburn had turned shocking again and Lee out everythinged him.

Pringle on loan. Think we all knew he'd be rubbish as soon as we signed him permanently!
  • Options
    John Barnes... LOL
  • Options
    Serge Deble.............around 2yrs at the club now and yet to lose a single game. :-)
  • Options
    Scott Sinclair?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]Scott Sinclair?

Doing very well at Swansea now though....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]Scott Sinclair?

Doing very well at Swansea now though....

Was clearly not going to get a look in at Chelsea, but has done well everywhere except with us.
  • Options
    David Madden was a class act. A tall elegant midfielder who dominated the midfield and could put a thirty yard pass on a sixpence. For some reason Lennie didn't rate him and he only played a few games before giving up and going off to America.
    The prize though would have to go to Simmo. I think I can confidently say that never again will we see a former European Footballer of the year in a Charlton shirt.
    If my dad were still alive he'd probably go for Hans Jeppson.
  • Options
    Anyone remember Steve Barbe? Think I saw him trotting up and down the line as an un-used sub at Bolton and that was it (supposedly had a rocket sot...like Karim Bagheri....there's another one).
  • Options
    An impact for the wrong reasons:

Tom Hovi

Talal El Khalaj (?spelling)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    Talal El Khalaj (?spelling)

I remember when Curbs brought him on when we were 5-1 down against Leeds to shore up the defence.

Harry Kewell promptly scored their sixth.
  • Options
    Barry Endean survived 27 games with 1 goal.
  • Options
    David Whyte in his loan spell in 92
  • Options
    AFKA pointed out a good one in John Hendry. He only played one league game for Spurs, but in that game he scored 2 against Ars*nal at Highbury...which turns out to be the last time we beat them away. Think it was 1993, a week after we lost to them at Wembley in the FA Cup Semi-Final.
  • Options
    Gary Rowett in 2002/3 (?)
    Got injured and ended his career, but I recall we hardly lost a game with him in the side. Think he only played 6 times.

He played in victories over Liverpool, Leeds and Man City.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One or two of the names on here I never saw play but of the rest there is absolutely no competition it IS Simmo. On a different planet to the rest of the team at the time.

Also, Costa? Really? Good to have around the club and a great leader certainly but not at his best as a player AND we did get relegated that season didn't we so maybe not the huge impact we're talking about.
  • Options
    Big fat Peter scored a wonder against boro I think and got his gut out to the covered end after!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]One or two of the names on here I never saw play but of the rest there is absolutely no competition itISSimmo. On a different planet to the rest of the team at the time.

Also, Costa? Really? Good to have around the club and a great leader certainly but not at his best as a player AND we did get relegated that season didn't we so maybe not the huge impact we're talking about.
    We got relegated when Costa was here?
  • Options
    John Barnes, but only because he was about twice the size of when he was in his prime.
  • Options
    Peter Garland was a good call. Played some cracking football when he first broke into the team and scored some quality goals. Was very unfairly sent off at home to Millwall and never really reached the same heights again. Reminded me of Gazza but obviously not as good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]One or two of the names on here I never saw play but of the rest there is absolutely no competition itISSimmo. On a different planet to the rest of the team at the time.

Poppycock!
    I remember Jorge in a Redbus shirt - must have been years before relegation
  • Options
    Rowett was quality
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Poppycock!
    I remember Jorge in a Redbus shirt - must have been years before relegation
    Yeah I know, he was here in 01/02.
  • Options
    We did not get relegated when Costa was here, we came mid-table after being in a European race until March and drew 0-0 at Man Utd on the last day - one of only 2 games in 16 against Man Utd in the premiership which we didn't lose, and the only time we kept a clean sheet. I remember him making a superb world class last ditch tackle on Gudjohnsen at home to Chelsea when through on goal. Perfectly timed, superb.

Tom Hovi was a calamity, played in a 1-5 loss at Bolton and a 4-3 home loss to Derby when we 3-1 up; he came on in the latter and him and Chapple were basically tackling each other to let Marco Gabbiadini score, truly appalling.

I thought this thread was going to be about people who played 10 games or so, but as people seem to be mentioning longer term ones Carson deserves an honourable mention as a loan player to win PoY.
  • Options
    Regardless of that, people do seem to look back at Costa's time at Charlton with rose tinted spectacles; great player and everything but I remember some poor games, Darius Vassell making an idiot of him during a night match with Villa springs to mind.