Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So what have we learnt this weekend?

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
1. Charlton do have some good players who can score goals. Benson and Anyinsah could be a good pairing but one cuckcoo doesn't make a spring. Wagstaff continues to shine with his hard work and his assists. How much better will he be when his long term partner in crime Chris Solly is playing behind him?

2. This team isn't totally reliant on Kyel Reid. IMHO the best player for his position in this squad and a cut above this division but we coped without both him and Martin. Will be good to get him back fit and rested in four weeks time (touch wood) but in the mean time Jackson gives us a different but still potent option, it seems.

3. The confidence of this side is still egg shell fragile. Put them under pressure and they retreat and they concede. We know it, Parky knows it and damn sure every other team in the league knows it. Yet we coped with 10 men v Bournemouth (now 2nd) and v Orient. Go figure.

4. Robbie Elliot is this month's whipping boy (copyright Elliot Omozusi). Not the best keeper in the world but gets blamed by some for every goal that goes passed him despite them often being due to the mistakes of the defence in front of him.

5. Some Charlton fans actually wanted "their" team to lose yesterday to vindicate their views of the manager. The evidence is there is black and white on the match thread. Sad but true.

6. This league is so close that we are still only three points (and a 12 - nil win) off an automatic promotion place. Big hitters Huddersfield lost at Plymouth (at least we got a point) while Peterboro did what we did and lost 2-1 at Brentford.

7. This team plays for 95 minutes. To quote Shooters Hill Guru they don't always play well for 95 minutes but they do, more often than not, keep playing. So many late goals point to both high levels of fitness and a high level of commitment.

Comments

• Options
    Still more questions than answers I think.
  • Options
    This league is two bob and there is no real quality, which is a positive for us.
  • Options
    That I am a reasonable guy that does not blame Parkinson for every issue that unfolds on a field
  • Options
    8. Nearly all Charlton fans want the team to win every game irrespective what their views of the manager are.
  • Options
    Good post Henry, very nice and positive! Im smelling promotion now for some reason.
  • Options
    If there are Charlton fans who wanted us to lose yesterday they should f~~k off to Selhurst Park for good . They will see plenty of defeats there..
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]If there are Charlton fans who wanted us to lose yesterday they should f~~k off to Selhurst Park for good . They will see plenty of defeats there..[/quote]

Haha, well said! Well said indeed!
  • Options
    We play better with 313 fans supporting the team than we do with 14,000 booing it and generally creating a hostile (to our own players not the oppo) atmosphere.
  • Options
    Depending on your stance on Parkinson, you can analyse this match either way:

If you want to retain Parky, you could claim that he had the team prepared from the start, coming out strong shows the players want to play for him, and the late winner says they didn't give up.

If you want to see the back of Parky, you point to the big lead blown and how failing to maintain leads is a failure of coaching; how he can't get a consistent effort and the late goal only papers over his continued inability to make tactical adjustments during the match.

Take your pick.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]That I am a reasonable guy that does not blame Parkinson for every issue that unfolds on a field

True
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    as one of the 313 what I learnt was that the team has a fragile confidence but the majority of these players really care about their team, they play for each other, they appreciate us cheering them and they don't stop trying - it's some time since we have had a team that had all those qualities.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]8. Nearly all Charlton fans want the team to win every game irrespective what their views of the manager are.

Nearly all but sadly not alll
  • Options
    Just need to learn to defend really. Cut the sloppy goals and we'll fly up the table, this league is there for the taking, we got the players just not the mentality it would seem.
  • Options
    Wasn't there yesterday so not qualified to comment but very glad we won. However one swallow doesn't make a summer and just as some are told not to be quick to judge a poor performance neither should we go over the top on the back of one win. I do so hope that it is a result that turns our season round but it's far too soon to say that. The next three games are still vital to both charltons and parky's future.
  • Options
    #22. Henry thinks that a pension plan is a good idea for a 17 year olds birthday "treat".

*shakes head
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]#22. Henry thinks that a pension plan is a good idea for a 17 year olds birthday "treat".

Delayed gratification ftw.
  • Options
    that i can drink alot, whatever is thrown at me and wine doesnt make my head feel as bad as it used to even after 4 bottles.

I run bad at poker, not a joke fact!
  • Options
    The major thing for me is that with a decent run we will be back up to where we were for a whole lot of last season, as no team other than Brighton looks capable of consistency
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have learned that: The knee jerk reactions when we win are equally as 'sad' as the knee jerk reactions when we lose!

Personally, there is no way I would want us to lose any game for any reason. But I think those that said that shouldn't be told to F off, hang their heads in shame, etc. Whatever people say is usually in the heat of the moment and I think they all care about the club as much as we all do.

I thought we would lose badly vs Carlisle, well I knew we would concede more than 2 goals and I was right! What I didn't expect was a performance like that from the forwards: credit to them all, and especially PP for obviously firing them up for that. However, at the same time, 7 goals conceded in 2 games is very worrying. The central midfield / centre back positions are a big concern still.

I think most peoples reactions last week were not only because we lost 0 - 4 but came after a long stretch of bad performances and that was just the cherry on top! Saturdays result is a boost, especially for PP, but will mean nothing if it's not followed up by a result AND performance against Sheff Weds on Saturday.
  • Options
    I learnt that Parky really does have the players support and that the squad are not lazy couldn't care less primas. They will play for Parky and unsettling that could be disastrous. Work still needs to be done, and I need another couple of good games to re-build my confidence, but I also need to up my game and keep cheering them on to help them build their confidence. We really do have to make the Valley sing out once more and that's up to us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've learnt that if we could defend for 90 minutes we'd be a much better and more solid team.

It really is what is costing us every week
  • Options
    6. This league is so close that we are still only three points (and a 12 - nil win) off an automatic promotion place. Big hitters Huddersfield lost at Plymouth (at least we got a point) while Peterboro did what we did and lost 2-1 at Brentford.

6a. And as that means there are only nine points separating 21 teams between second and 22nd, we're still unclear whether by Xmas we will be challenging for promotion or battling against relegation!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    that we can throw away a 3 goal lead against a under strength side? That parky narrowly avoided yet another draw? That this freak result may paste over the cracks?

:)
  • Options
    7. This is going to a roller-coaster season with plenty of highs and lows so strap your belts and enjoy the ride!
  • Options
    That when 1 irregular poster (I think it was just the one anyway) says on the match day thread that they are hoping for loss to get rid of the manager, this somehow becomes portrayed as the the default position of anyone who expresses their doubts over the continuation of the current management team?
  • Options
    I learnt that there is a shortage of disabled parking spaces in Eastbourne, a town where they are needed more than anywhere else.
  • Options
    That we are still clearly a Jeckyll & Hyde team that is unlikely to go up this season.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]That when 1 irregular poster (I think it was just the one anyway) says on the match day thread that they are hoping for loss to get rid of the manager, this somehow becomes portrayed as the the default position of[i]anyone[/i]who expresses their doubts over the continuation of the current management team?[/quote]

I agree with this

i would never want us to lose but i still want him gone
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]That when 1 irregular poster (I think it was just the one anyway) says on the match day thread that they are hoping for loss to get rid of the manager, this somehow becomes portrayed as the the default position ofanyonewho expresses their doubts over the continuation of the current management team?

Who portrayed it as the default position of anyone who expresses their doubts? Certainly not me and I don't recall reading anyone else who did.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Can anyone who wanted "their" team to lose in order to vindicate their views of the manager put their hand up and we'll have a head count?

And then we we will shoot you (although this may be commuted on appeal to a compulsory life membership of Milwall) !