Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So what have we learnt this weekend?

2»

Comments

• Options
    No one, as far as I can tell wanted us to lose. But the majority still have no faith in a manager that has now had two years.

If we don't get promoted this year, who was our last manager to keep us at this level for two seasons? Surely he would be up there with the greats.

We all want the club to do well, but are not sure we have the right man in charge to do this. If he finds this division tactically confusing, what will he make of the geniuses in the chumpionship?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]That when 1 irregular poster (I think it was just the one anyway) says on the match day thread that they are hoping for loss to get rid of the manager, this somehow becomes portrayed as the the default position ofanyonewho expresses their doubts over the continuation of the current management team?

Who portrayed it as the default position of anyone who expresses their doubts? Certainly not me and I don't recall reading anyone else who did.

Okay, maybe badly worded Henry, fair enough but there's been more then one poster over the last 48 hours that has alluded to those fans, them, that lot (plural) who wanted us to lose on Saturday. This sort of thing does give the impression that it wasn't just one lone poster who was that fed up they'd come out with such an extreme view. In this case there really was a lone gunman in the depository...
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]

If we don't get promoted this year, who was our last manager to keep us at this level for two seasons? Surely he would be up there with the greats.

I can answer this.

Theo Foley didn't quite manage it. He missed by a whisker, being sacked in April 1974 towards the very end of our second season in div three.

Andy Nelson, widely regarded as one of our worst ever managers, got us out of div three at the first attempt.

Mike Bailey also got us out of div three at the first attempt.

Jimmy Seed saw Charlton promoted as champions in his second season in div three.

So if Parky survives the season and doesn't get us promoted, he will officially be the worst manager in Charlton history since Alex Macfarlane, 1925-28.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]That when 1 irregular poster (I think it was just the one anyway) says on the match day thread that they are hoping for loss to get rid of the manager, this somehow becomes portrayed as the the default position ofanyonewho expresses their doubts over the continuation of the current management team?

Who portrayed it as the default position of anyone who expresses their doubts? Certainly not me and I don't recall reading anyone else who did.

Okay, maybe badly worded Henry, fair enough but there's been more then one poster over the last 48 hours that has alluded to those fans, them, that lot (plural) who wanted us to lose on Saturday. This sort of thing does give the impression that it wasn't just one lone poster who was that fed up they'd come out with such an extreme view. In this case there really was a lone gunman in the depository...

I think it was two people on the match thread. Only two but still two too many.

Love or hate the manager but wanting the team to lose is beyond the pale IMO