Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson vs Killer vs Flash

For those of us "lucky" enough to have been around the last time we were (and possibly even if you weren't) in the third tier of English Football I thought it would be useful to compare our two strikers of that era with our current "goalscoring machine".

Derek's first touch was, at times, that of an elephant whereas Flash's main attribute was his ability to hold up the ball and bring players into the game.

Flash was also superb in the air and anyone who saw him in the latter stages of his career would be surprised that he actually started as a winger. Benson certainly isn't hopeless in that regard but isn't one to look for non stop "flick ons". Killer, on the other hand, couldn't win a ball in the air to save his life. His jumping two seconds before the ball was delivered to put the centre half off was, frankly, embarrassing at times.

Killer's main asset (apart from, of course, his ability to find the back of the net) was his strength, pace and aggression. Be it the ball from wide into the box or the one over the top you knew that he would be fighting (sometimes literally) to get there first. And when he did the ball nine times out of ten ended up in the back of the net. Neither Flash nor Benson has that extra gear.

Of the three I would say that Benson, closely followed by Killer, is the most instinctive goalscorer but this strength being his weakness means that he does heavily rely on early balls into the box.

Finally, with regards to shooting, Flash would have been the best of these with Killer (when he got it right) not too far behind. I've yet to see any real evidence of Benson having a shot on him.

In summary Benson and Killer live and lived for scoring goals but, to my mind Benson, is actually a "half way house" between Killer and Flash.

If Benno can get us 25 to 30 goals this season he might just elevate himself to the level of our former striking heroes.

Comments

• Options
    The only way Benson is close to Killer is because Hales smoked Benson's!!!
  • Options
    did you mean to write that benson is a more instinctive goalscorer than Halesy !!!
  • Options
    sorry but this is too ridiculous to even contemplate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite] Of the three I would say that Benson, closely followed by Killer, is the most instinctive goalscorer

to my mind Benson, is actually a "half way house" between Killer and Flash.

If Benno can get us 25 to 30 goals this season

Lay off the drugs mate
  • Options
    It was only last week that people were criticising Benson's efforts....now he's being spoken about in the same breath as Killer & Flash!!!!

Far too early to treat as a legend and also too early to moan about his contribution (IMO).

As long as Benson keeps sticking the ball in the back of the net, I'm happy. But comparisons to legends is (IMO) slightly disrespectful.

FTR - Didn't Paul Walsh get over 20 goals in 80/81 season? Is he a striking hero of ours? Benson has been here 5 minutes compared to Hales & Flanagan and time isn't on his side!
  • Options
    1st prize for the worlds silliest comparisons.
  • Options
    I don't recall ever saying that Benson is a legend which is why I said that "If Benno can get us 25 to 30 goals this season he might just elevate himself to the level of our former striking heroes." I was comparing them as footballers and strikers and in doing so I was taking into account what I have seen of him not just at Charlton but also at Dag & R. It is also the reason why "goalscoring machine" is in quotation marks.

I'm dreadfully sorry if I've offended anyone in doing so and that I may not have got across quite what I was trying to do.
  • Options
    no need to apologise mate, "everyone's got an opinion, whats yours? "

If he turns out half the player Killer or Flash was I'll be happy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: clivey_hero[/cite]no need to apologise mate, "everyone's got an opinion, whats yours? "

If he turns out half the player Killer or Flash was I'll be happy

I actually do think that, given the right service, he could get 25 plus goals for us this season. Whatever people say we haven't had a "poacher" like him for years. But he still has a lot to do to reach cult status.
  • Options
    And the one thing that perhaps we should give Benson credit for is not allowing the doubts that we all have/had about him from preventing him from doing best which is scoring goals. He also won't be afraid to miss which is something that many of our recent strikers (Luke Varney for example) have suffered from in the past.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LOL.
  • Options
    hope your right
    as for cult status we sure need someone to replace Corey Gibbs ;)
  • Options
    In League 1 last season only 7 strikers scored over 20 goals, and only 2 got over 25. If Benson could get 20 that would be great; I think 25-30 is pushing it a bit.

1. Rickie Lambert 30 Bristol Rovers/Southampton
    2. Billy Paynter 26 Swindon Town
    3. Grant Holt 24 Norwich City
    3. Lee Barnard 24 Southend/Southampton
    5. Jermaine Beckford 23 Leeds United
    6. Steve Morison 21 Millwall
    7. Charlie Austin 20 Swindon Town
  • Options
    I know what you are saying AA in that, given the opportunity, Benson certainly does seem to be an instinctive goalscorer in the box, and Hales is certainly the closest comparison to Benson in that respect, whereas Flanagan (and Paul Walsh as mentioned above) contributed more outside the box whilst also getting their share of goals.

I think it is premature to compare him abilitywise with Killer quite yet in the same way as my earlier comparison with Barry Endean on another thread has, as I hoped at the time, also been proved wrong!

From Barry Endean to Killer. Benson has made the journey from the ridiculous to the sublime!
  • Options
    When we sell Benson to a top flight club for a huge fee a la Hales then he can be compared in the same sentence! Until then he is an unfit shoe shine boy!!
  • Options
    I quite like Benson but he'll need to get some goals in front of the home crowd to convince people that he's arrived. I think he will.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]In League 1 last season only 7 strikers scored over 20 goals, and only 2 got over 25. If Benson could get 20 that would be great; I think 25-30 is pushing it a bit.

1. Rickie Lambert 30 Bristol Rovers/Southampton
    2. Billy Paynter 26 Swindon Town
    3. Grant Holt 24 Norwich City
    3. Lee Barnard 24 Southend/Southampton
    5. Jermaine Beckford 23 Leeds United
    6. Steve Morison 21 Millwall
    7. Charlie Austin 20 Swindon Town

Is he our penalty taker now because I had assumed he was. It didn't do Burton's tally too much harm after all ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]When we sell Benson to a top flight club for a huge fee a la Hales then he can be compared in the same sentence! Until then he is an unfit shoe shine boy!!

We all know that that isn't going to happen for several reasons. One Benson is too old and for the second the game has moved on. Killer never made it in a bygone era in the top flight and had he be playing now they wouldn't now either. He simply didn't have enough skill to play in a modern day 4-5-1 or 4-3-3.
  • Options
    Can anyone shed any light on why we let Hales go in 1984 when he'd just scored 8 goals in 14 starts? (including a hat-trick at Cardiff). Seemed very odd at the time but nothing was ever said about it. His last game was early October and he still finished 3rd in the scoring chart for that season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Can anyone shed any light on why we let Hales go in 1984 when he'd just scored 8 goals in 14 starts? (including a hat-trick at Cardiff). Seemed very odd at the time but nothing was ever said about it. His last game was early October and he still finished 3rd in the scoring chart for that season.

Not light exactly but putting two and two together from various snippets I heard.

Killer was 33 or so at the time and coming to the end of his contract at the end of that season. He was allegedly one of our better paid players and finances were tight. There was also a question mark over offering a new contract to an aged player who was also picking up the odd injury by then.

Keith Peacock was aware of all this and was able to offer Killer a deal to the end of 85/6. Killer was local to Gillingham and the convenience offset any shortfall in wages so he went for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Benson is no legned yet lol. Jesus!
  • Options
    i think the fact that Benson is 30 and until we'd signed him, i'd never heard of him probably answers your question as far as i'm concerned.
  • Options
    Nobody starts off as a legend (Simonsen and DiCanio excepted). How great it would be if Benson became one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Killer never made it in a bygone era in the top flight and had he be playing now they wouldn't now either. He simply didn't have enough skill to play in a modern day 4-5-1 or 4-3-3.

Gotta to disagree wth that view. The ability to "only" score goals never did Kevin Philips, Andy Cole, Michael Owen, etc, etc, any harm did it? I don't think any of that lot contributed much more than Hales would've done outside the box. We know he wasn't a target man but neither are plenty of other strikers who've performed well in the Premiership over the years.
  • Options
    Cheers Len....I guess the board/Lennie also already had plans for an overhaul of the squad and needed to make some room. Curbishley came in later that season and we had the seven summer signings that followed. I can just remember feeling frustrated that our top scorer had gone (to a lower league team) and for such a low fee. And also because it was Derek Hales and you always felt that you had something when he was in the team.
  • Options
    Benson shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as either Killer or Flash.....if he spends 3-4 seasons knocking in a goal every other game then maybe!

Replace Benson with Mendonca and then you could have an interesting debate.

Super Clive (when fit) was for me the best overall striker I have seen play for us. The season we went up through the the play-offs he was sublime. Touch, vision and deadly infront of goal. If the bloke had been lucky with injuries and had a bit more pace he would have been playing for a much bigger club than us. Was absolutely buzzing when we signed him. Remembered the hatrick he scored against us for Grimsby.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Killer never made it in a bygone era in the top flight and had he be playing now they wouldn't now either. He simply didn't have enough skill to play in a modern day 4-5-1 or 4-3-3.

Gotta to disagree wth that view. The ability to "only" score goals never did Kevin Philips, Andy Cole, Michael Owen, etc, etc, any harm did it? I don't think any of that lot contributed much more than Hales would've done outside the box. We know he wasn't a target man but neither are plenty of other strikers who've performed well in the Premiership over the years.

Harsh on Philips. For a small bloke he had a great allround game.
  • Options
    Don't let Benson near a penalty, sure I remember reading something from a Daggers fan who said he is woeful from the spot and has skied a few in his time. I could be wrong but sure it was Benson.

If he gets 15 from open play, that will be a decent return in his first season in L1. However he is a third of the way after a quick burst of goals there so 20 is perhaps not so unrealistic.
  • Options
    Thinking we are getting a bit carried here when it comes to Benson, the fact that he has scored all of his goals bar 1 away from home would suggest he doesnt like to be put under alot of pressure from the fans
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Don't let Benson near a penalty, sure I remember reading something from a Daggers fan who said he is woeful from the spot and has skied a few in his time. I could be wrong but sure it was Benson.

If he gets 15 from open play, that will be a decent return in his first season in L1. However he is a third of the way after a quick burst of goals there so 20 is perhaps not so unrealistic.

Pretty sure NLA said that he scores his goals in little bursts. 5-6 in 5-6 games then 5-6 without a goal etc. On that basis its very difficult to know how many he will get over the course of the whole season. We should be expecting 20. If he gets them is a totally different matter.