Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson vs Killer vs Flash

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Thinking we are getting a bit carried here when it comes to Benson, the fact that he has scored all of his goals bar 1 away from home would suggest he doesnt like to be put under alot of pressure from the fans
    Getting carried away maybe.

I don't think his record shows anything yet. He's only played at home once since scoring at home v MK Dons. That was a poor team performance against Brighton who are top of the league.

Might be something in it if he still only has 1 goal at home after all the home games up to Christmas.

Weren't most of Andy Hunts goals in 99/00 away from home?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Thinking we are getting a bit carried here when it comes to Benson, the fact that he has scored all of his goals bar 1 away from home would suggest he doesnt like to be put under alot of pressure from the fans

I don't think his record shows anything yet. He's only played at home once since scoring at home v MK Dons. That was a poor team performance against Brighton who are top of the league.

Might be something in it if he still only has 1 goal at home after all the home games up to Christmas.

Weren't most of Andy Hunts goals in 99/00 away from home?

3 hatricks in the season. 2 were away - Norwich & Stockport I think. Also scored a hatrick against Stockport at home. Have we had any other players do that?.
  • Options
    Plainly ridiculous to compare Benson to Killer.In my 49 years as a Charlton supporter, Killer was the best out and out finisher i had seen at the club.There have been much better all round players, my favourite being Eddie Firmani. But when the ball was in and around the box, Killer was lethal. Lets judge Benson after 100 games to see where he is at.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite][quote aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Thinking we are getting a bit carried here when it comes to Benson, the fact that he has scored all of his goals bar 1 away from home would suggest he doesnt like to be put under alot of pressure from the fans[/quote]

Weren't most of Andy Hunts goals in 99/00 away from home?[/quote]

3 hatricks in the season. 2 were away - Norwich & Stockport I think. Also scored a hatrick against Stockport at home. Have we had any other players do that?.[/quote]

Andy Hunt in the promothion year
  • Options
    Mendonca - enough said.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]Plainly ridiculous to compare Benson to Killer.In my 49 years as a Charlton supporter, Killer was the best out and out finisher i had seen at the club.There have been much better all round players, my favourite being Eddie Firmani. But when the ball was in and around the box, Killer was lethal. Lets judge Benson after 100 games to see where he is at.

Certainly in his first spell at the club Hales was lethal, not quite the same second time round in my opinion. But to compare Benson with Flanagan or Hales is ludicrous. Hales scored the bulk of his goals in the old second division and did play in the top flight, though not a roaring success. Flanagan, similar, but did ok at the top level. Benson has just come out of non league and has just started to find the net for us. Apart from anything else it's unfair on Benson to start comparing him to (for me anyway) childhood heroes.
  • Options
    Hi Guys, first time for me. If they all lined up now at their peak, for me it would be Killer . For coolness in finishing however it would always have to be Sir Clive. Of the current bunch Benno is a wait and see, and I like the energy of Joe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]Hi Guys, first time for me. If they all lined up now at their peak, for me it would be Killer . For coolness in finishing however it would always have to be Sir Clive. Of the current bunch Benno is a wait and see, and I like the energy of Joe.

Welcome Granpa. Hope you enjoy the banter. I certainly do especially when the forumites on here call into question my postings. Which, as you will see from this thread and past and future ones, is most of the time. It's almost become a self fulfilling prophecy!
  • Options
    AA...I can see that you aren't comparing Benson to the others in terms of achievement but more in terms of the type of player/finisher. Flanagan was a very versatile player and could play up front or left midfield (QPR used him all the time there). He had excellent close control, was good in the air and was very comfortable on the ball. Hales was brave (very brave), pretty quick to lose a marker and had the gift of scoring ugly goals (maybe it was the beard/tache but he reminded me of a Gerd Muller type). Even in his latter days, when he could hardly run, he could still somehow get clear and get one on ones because he just knew when and where to go. He did miss a few but he was nearly always in there ready to pounce. Benson impressed me quite early on with his ability in the air. He gets up well and looks like he'll take up some good positions. Whether he's brave or not remains to be seen but has shown pretty good movement for his goals and his misses. He looks to get across his man in the box and could get quite a few at the near post. I'd compare him in style to Garth Crooks. Mendonca was the most natural finisher out of all of them although his heading was almost non-existent (one headed goal v Wolves?) His movement and ability to finish were exemplary and it's quite hard to think of too many misses. While we're at it...a couple of the other ones who didn't miss too often were Johansson (he could head, tap in, one on one, over-head kick...all sorts) and Williams...who loved a one on one, but also got tap ins and the odd edge of the box shot. There are plenty of others too...with Andy Hunt being the best all-round centre forward I've seen at Charlton. Him and Williams together would have been good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]AA...I can see that you aren't comparing Benson to the others in terms of achievement but more in terms of the type of player/finisher. Flanagan was a very versatile player and could play up front or left midfield (QPR used him all the time there). He had excellent close control, was good in the air and was very comfortable on the ball. Hales was brave (very brave), pretty quick to lose a marker and had the gift of scoring ugly goals (maybe it was the beard/tache but he reminded me of a Gerd Muller type). Even in his latter days, when he could hardly run, he could still somehow get clear and get one on ones because he just knew when and where to go. He did miss a few but he was nearly always in there ready to pounce. Benson impressed me quite early on with his ability in the air. He gets up well and looks like he'll take up some good positions. Whether he's brave or not remains to be seen but has shown pretty good movement for his goals and his misses. He looks to get across his man in the box and could get quite a few at the near post. I'd compare him in style to Garth Crooks. Mendonca was the most natural finisher out of all of them although his heading was almost non-existent (one headed goal v Wolves?) His movement and ability to finish were exemplary and it's quite hard to think of too many misses. While we're at it...a couple of the other ones who didn't miss too often were Johansson (he could head, tap in, one on one, over-head kick...all sorts) and Williams...who loved a one on one, but also got tap ins and the odd edge of the box shot. There are plenty of others too...with Andy Hunt being the best all-round centre forward I've seen at Charlton. Him and Williams together would have been good.

An excellent post especially as you seem to be one of a few who understood where I was coming from with my opening statement.

So far as Killer's "ugly" goals I don't think he would have scored so many of them because Refs nowadays would blow up far more for what would be perceived as an infringement by him. Equally though Centre Halves would be taking a few more early baths for attempting to stop him from having a run on goal. And of course level was offside in those days so he would have reaped the benefit of the change in Law.