Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charltons Greatest Premiership Game

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Realitivly new to Charlton life so i dont know if this has been discussed before. Watching Premiership Years in the mornings cant get more depressing for a Charlton fan! Anyway... Charltons greatest game whilst we were in the Premiership, i know they voted on the DVD, but in your opinions . Mine personally was Arsneal Away in 01/02 when we won 4-2!

Comments

• Options
    Im sure it has, welcome to the site anyway....for me it was 3-3 Man Utd at the Valley, followed by that epic at Highbury
  • Options
    There were a few. We beat Chelsea 4-2 at the Valley. The 4-4 Draw with the hammers when JJ scored 2, yes 2, overhead kicks. Utd 3-3 with Robbo's equaliser
  • Options
    Coming from Essex, I think Charlton 4 West Ham 0 was probably my favourite. The 4-4 draw with an overhead goal from JJ was also a great night's entertainment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]There were a few. We beat Chelsea 4-2 at the Valley. The 4-4 Draw with the hammers when JJ scored 2, yes 2, overhead kicks. Utd 3-3 with Robbo's equaliser

Don't remember the first one, the second in the last minute was fabulous.
  • Options
    The 4-3 win at Villa Park.
  • Options
    as above - although for sheer relief I may have to go Villa away (4-3) in our first season.
  • Options
    All the above were awesome.

I'd like to add Charlton 2 Newcastle 2. We'd lost the previous 8 games, we were 2-0 down, then Curbs brought on Konchesky, Parker and Mark Bright. Bright scored about 10 seconds after coming on, had a goal ruled out that was about a mile over the line with 5 minutes to go, and Martin Pringle equalised in the 94th minute on his home debut. Possibly the most mental I've ever gone at a goal behind the playoff final.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Both were a carbon copy of each other. They were awesome
  • Options
    Either of the 4-2's for me vs chelsea or arsenal
  • Options
    The Liverpool game with the Lisbie hat-trick sticks in my mind as does the Chelsea 4-2.

*tear rolls down face*
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Liverpool away first season was amazing too, but probably that 4-3 at Villa Park. It had everything.
  • Options
    4-2 v Chelsea
    4-0 v West Ham

Any game where we beat Spurs or Arsenal
  • Options
    Im going to go for a differnt one
    the day we went fourth in the league
    Beat Fulham 3-1 at home, we were fantastic that day
    remember saying we could win the league this year
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?matchid=3249&type=m
  • Options
    Villa park away must have been quality to be at. But newcastle 2-2 & united 3-3 were qaulity. In the jimmy seed for both of them.
  • Options
    I also think the 4-2 at Arsenal, though I wasn't there, closely followed by the Villa 4-3.

Honourable mention to the opening games at the Valley in 1998 and 2000 (5-0 and 4-0), the Lisbie hat-trick game plus the 3-0 away at 'Boro where we played some of the best football I saw during the Premier League years. Sadly it all went wrong shortly after that.
  • Options
    3-2 blackburn at home, when thier keeper scored in the last minute, so pissed off, then Claus scored the winner.
  • Options
    Villa away is a brilliant shout, must have only been about 8 or 9 at the time, but will never forget that day when Mendonca scored i nearly chocked on a refresher (the sweets) and to come out of the accident bit, then too see Danny Mills ping a beauty!
  • Options
    One of my favourites is the Saints game. 5-0 in our first home game in the Premier League left us all walking on air at the time.

Looking at us both now brings a tear to the eye :-(
  • Options
    Any of these.........

Charlton 4 Chelsea 2
    Arsenal 2 Charlton 4
    Charlton 3 Man U 3
    Villa 3 Charlton 4
    Charlton 5 Southampton 0
    Charlton 3 Liverpool 2
  • Options
    Nothing can beat that Villa away game for me. Browny in goal, their player sent off last minute, needing a win to stay in the fight for survival. Outstanding, nearly as good as the play off final. Wow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Liverpool 3 Charlton 3 (where we had a goal disallowed for a foul on john robinson!) comes close though...
  • Options
    4-2 Chelsea is sweet/sour. We played so well that day that Chelsea decided we were a threat to thir Champions League ambitions and started chattng up Parker. Feels like things have been in decline ever since.

3-3 v Man Unt. 4-2 at home to West Ham, 3-3 at Anfield (was at Lads weekend for that and had £5 at 500-1 on Rufus first scorer and 2-2 FS. So close)
  • Options
    Has to be beating Chelsea 4-2 on Boxing Day. We had family Chelsea supporters on the Coach, and it's a wonder their faces didn't break the glass. I tried so hard not to look smug for the rest of the day but didn't make it. Favourite moment, watching De Canio tie John Terry in knots. Memories.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]All the above were awesome.

I'd like to add Charlton 2 Newcastle 2. We'd lost the previous 8 games, we were 2-0 down, then Curbs brought on Konchesky, Parker and Mark Bright. Bright scored about 10 seconds after coming on, had a goal ruled out that was about a mile over the line with 5 minutes to go, and Martin Pringle equalised in the 94th minute on his home debut. Possibly the most mental I've ever gone at a goal behind the playoff final.[/quote]

This was Brighty's last Premiership goal.

For me - nothing ranks above the win at Highbury. Hardly anyone scored 4 Prem goals there.
    I can still picture Deano with his hand cupped behind his ear as the ground emptied and Charlton fans lifted the roof in celebration.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    we were sooooooo good for a while.. proper proper top half and more quality....

It depresses me so much, I watched one of the dvds about three months ago and it put me in a filthy mood, if parker hadnt left blah blahblah.....

And curbishley was/is obviously a genius...

I wrote a note in my diary on the way here.. it simply said... Bugger
  • Options
    Another special moment for me, and it might be because he is my fave Charlton Player of all time is when Rufus had returned from Injury at White Hart Lane and produced a blinding tackle / Block and the all of our support where singing " THE ROOF, THE ROOF, THE ROOF IS ON FIIIREEE" that was excellent
  • Options
    Arsenal should have have been 4 up before we scored and that was only first 15 minutes !!!

Think that Newcastle comeback made sure we were not the first London team to lose to them in 20 odd games in the capital.

I used to enjoy being in Jimmy Seed stand when we shared it with the away fans
  • Options
    The last game in the Premiership was one to remember. Not because of the game but the atmosphere.
  • Options
    I have a couple with related stories.

Charlton 4 Cheslea 2. My son and i are both ST holders but missed this game because it was his 8th bithday (on boxing day) and mum insited that we missed the game because all the family were coming over. (Who are mostly Chelsea fans). We watched it on TV and had had one over on the family. My dad called my son and pretended to be curbs telling him that the win was for him because it was his birthday. My son totally bought it!!

Arsenal 2 Charlton 4
    My Arsenal supporting father in law called me the morning of the match and asked if i wanted to watch the game at his house beacuse he has it on PPV. I said ok as long as he didnt start gloating once it was 4 - 0 to the gooners . Anyway.

Price of the match £7.99,
    his beer that I drank £10.00,
    his look on his face when it went 4-1 "priceless"

Charlton 4 West Ham 0.
    I went as guest of the match sponsor and was on the pitch with the team before they started. Fantastic game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]Another special moment for me, and it might be because he is my fave Charlton Player of all time is when Rufus had returned from Injury at White Hart Lane and produced a blinding tackle / Block and the all of our support where singing " THE ROOF, THE ROOF, THE ROOF IS ON FIIIREEE" that was excellent

great call - think it was the Monday night game live on Sky which we won 1-0 thanks a Chris Powell (big Spurs fan) goal

and if I'm right it was no less than Sir Les Ferdinand who was sent into orbit by Rufus