Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charltons Greatest Premiership Game

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]The last game in the Premiership was one to remember. Not because of the game but the atmosphere.

"Always look on the bright side of life do do do do do do" Still singing the same song today :( Brilliant day in Liverpool though!
  • Options
    Robo's goal against United has to be my favorite.
  • Options
    Arsenal away.
  • Options
    Beating Chelsea 4-2 at home on Boxing Day - everything about that game was magic from kick-off to the final whistle. Chelsea may have scored two goals but the scoreline flattered them.
  • Options
    The 0-1 away win at Palace with Rommedahl scoring in the last minite or the 2-2 draw with Fortune scoring in the last minite to send them down. Those games have to be up there with the wins against Chelsea Arsenal Liverpool etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Beating Chelsea 4-2 at home on Boxing Day - everything about that game was magic from kick-off to the final whistle. Chelsea may have scored two goals but the scoreline flattered them.

I remember this one more than most I suppose because I sent a text to a friend who's a Chelsea fan before the game saying something like "you're going to lose", but not believing it, then feeling guilty afterwards!

Arsenal 2 Charlton 4 is a good call as well.
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]3-2 blackburn at home, when thier keeper scored in the last minute, so pissed off, then Claus scored the winner.

Brad Friedel, wasn't it? What a game that was!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]The 4-3 win at Villa Park.

Best Charlton match I've been to, incluing the play-off final. As a game it had just about everything - literally a must win, goals galore, outfield player had to go in goal and a last minute winner.

For six days after that match I felt we were invincible, only to be brought down to earth with a crash by Sheff W.

The giant killing wins against Chelsea and Arsenal and the com back against Man Utd are all very happy memories, but for pure drama the away win at Villa can't be beaten.
  • Options
    My Favourite is the 4-2 V Chelsea followed by the 4-2 at Arsenal. The 5-0 win against Southampton holds fond memories too,
  • Options
    Arsenal away 4-2 sat in the North Bank that day and like everyone thought we would get a thrashing. Amazing afternoon.

Man Utd 3-3, Giggs was on fire for them but Robbo's goal/celebration was brilliant.

Enjoyed the 2-0 Liverpool 10th Valley anniversary. We played really well that day, Deano was immense.

All the victories over Chelsea and Spurs, especially in 2001/2002 when we did the double over both. At home against Spurs- Jorge Costas home debut, Lisbie's two goals and Deanos saves from Sheringham including the near post volley.
  • Options
    Arsenal at highbury has got to be number 1 but I saw that on tv but 2 of the best games I went to would have to be the 3 2 win at white hart lane and the 1 0 win at chelsea when lisbie scored late. Was sitting in the posh seats that game next to glenn hoddle and went mad when lisbie scored but hoddle had left 5 mins before that. If he hadn't left he might have known more about lisbie when he scored 2 against spurs on the Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What about the time when we beat Sunderland 1-3 and didn't score a single goal. Ok, not the greatest game but definitely worth a mention.
  • Options
    Arsenal away, Chelsea at home.
  • Options
    Newcastle 2-2 was certainly when Mark Bright scored his last goal but I think his last game may have been the slaughtering at Everton 1-4. Wished he'd played a bit more for us that season.

Other really good games....

Spurs away 3-2 Bartlett 2 and Thomas. Bartlett sent off and us nearly blowing a 3-0 lead. Jol's first game in charge?

Liverpool away 3-3. Steve Jones getting his only Premier League goal to equalise. Deserved at least a draw that day...played superbly.
  • Options
    [cite] Dizzle [/cite]Both were a carbon copy of each other. They were awesome

Think you might be confusing the occasion when JJ got 2 identical overhead kicks.
    It was a Carling Cup game. Exeter? Oxford?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Probably not the most memorable game but for me beating Spurs 3-2 at White Hart Lane is up there for me as I was in the away end. Shaun Bartlett scored twice ( if memory serves) then Jerome Thomas put us 3-0 up, Bartlett then gets sent off for handball on the goalline & we defend like nutters for the rest of the game conceeding the penalty and a 2nd (both from Robbie Keane I think) - Paul Konchesky on loan from us to Spurs played against us too.

Great fun on the tube from seven sisters too!

Being the only non-Chelsea supporter in my family, the Boxing Day 4-2 was amazing, we were unbelievable to that point - little did we know that that was as good as it got really and the beginning of the decline started at the final whistle IMO.
  • Options
    Best game I went to cafc 3-3 man u thats when I stopped following cafc and started all out supporting and become a fanatic!

Best game I saw on tv Arse 2-4 CAFC

Best game I never saw 5-0 vs sarfampton
  • Options
    Home
    Beating Chelsea 4-2, West Ham 4-2 (Bowyer vs Parker and Kish scored), Lisbie Hattrick vs Liverpool

Away
    Winning 1-0 at Liverpool Bartlett header 1st win in 50 years, 3-2 at White Hart Lane, the win on pens vs Chelsea in the league cup, 2-1 at Portsmouth when Di Canio came on and bossed the game but the ultimate still is Parker's last minute winner at Leeds when he did Kewell (who had done us in the first half) sweet oh so sweet
  • Options
    The 4-2 at Highbury obviously sticks in the mind although as someone else said we could've easily been tonked in that one because we were outplayed for large chunks. The Man U 3-3 and the West Ham 4-4 were good but I was still just disappointed we didn't win those two. The 4-2 against Chelsea was an awesome performance but tainted with the Parker thing.

So....the one that sticks in my mind was the 2-0 against Chelsea when Ranieri was first appointed. I think Jason Euell got the second near the end. I remember my girlfriend at the time went along for the first time ever - things were a bit rocky between us and I really, really needed Charlton to do me a big favour and they did! The relationship did eventually go down the toilet but for that moment at least my team played up to the big occasion.
  • Options
    Have to agree about the Villa away game as being the one of the best I can remember.

I was in a corporate box right behind the Charlton fans, and was also exactly in line with where Mills free kick burst through the wall and hit the next. At first I thought it had gone wide, but all I can remember is just sheer ectasy all around me as we realised it was a goal, and that we would live to fight another day.

I think what made it so intense was that it really was do or die stuff, and everytime we seemed to have done enough, we found a way to cock it up again and let them back in it, especially when Petterson was sent off.

If I remember rightly Martin Pringle made the difference when he came on, as he got Steve Watson sent off, and I think also won the free kick that Mills scored with, although it may have been the same incident.

Truly a great day, if spoilt slightly by the anti-climatic events of a week later.
  • Options
    one my first games was
    charlton 4-2 chelsea
    charlton 4-2 Arsenal
    and the game i couldnt get tickets for westham at home i got the dvd and love watching back
    ahh the good old game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chelsea boxing day was the best for me
    As I'm not allowed to go football boxing day, had to endure watching it on TV in a living room FULL (well at least 8 or 9) Chelsea fans!
    What a fantastic christmas that was!
    Even the token Millwall fan that was there, was taking the pee.... great times
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The villa game would have been the best but for the events a week later when it became meaningless
    Highbury 2-4 was dreamland
    When you think back to all those games mentioned and many more it seems a lifetime away
    Were there really club apologists on here pronouncing(rose tinted glasses firmly on) that relegation wouldn't be a bad thing cos we'd have more chance of winning games ,new grounds to go to, a chance for club to regroup and come back stronger blah blah blah
    They'd still be harping on if we hit purple triangle division 6 south

Weirdos
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    4-3 at Villa, we were expected to bow out of the Prem that day but showed true grit and kept hopes alive for one more week. It was an amazing game, for those toom young to remmeber, we got an early goal, initially given to Graham Stuart, but actually turned in by the keeper, they equalised when Rufus passed the ball across the penalty area instead of back to the keeper to their player on his own, we had our keeper sent and had no keeper on the bench, so Steve browns first acrt was to punch out the free kick, they equalised with minutes to go and also has a player sent off and then a free kick slipped to the3 side, Danny Mills fired (and I still believe to this day it took a slight dflection off Mark Brights chest) 4-3.
    3-3 Man U
    4-2 Chelsea
    4-0 West Ham
  • Options
    4-2 ve Chelsea. In Heaven that day.
  • Options
    Blackburn at home. We were winning 2 - 1. Last minute corner for Blackburn. Friedel comes up into the box and scores and equaliser. I was gutted but Claus Jensen scored the winner with the last kick of the game.

Magic memory.

Moral of the story - don't ever leave before the end of the game.