Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Englishness of the BBC

I was embarrassed this morning to watch a "true legend" of American Football, Jerry Rice over here to promote the game at Wembley over the weekend be subject to such comments as

"over here UK football is the main game" - (really its called UK Football)
"are you the man who runs down the pitch like a bullet and catches it over your shoulder?"
"over here we call it strictly come dancing, we should have a dance later"

OMG this is a true superstar of his sport and some research should have been done by the BBC to give him the idea that American Football in this country is huge and the fan base totally understand and appreciate the intricacies of the game. Totally embarrassing, thank god for Nick Halling.

Comments

• And we have to pay these clowns for the high quality they produce.......
  • Patronising no marks trying to get one over our American cousins with unfunny quips.

Surprised they even bothered with the interview with the BBC hardly covering sport anymore. Please don't tell me they're showing the 49ers game this weekend.

Must confess though, never knew UK football is the main game over here. Very informative.
  • Nice one!
  • Surely you mean the 'Scottishness' of the BBC !!!
    especially on the radio , full of Jocks everywhere , football commentators usually have a jock sidekick and the coverage they afford the Scottish football teams is way over the top ...........interrupting the game to bring Goal news from Tannadice or St johnstone
    drives me mad
  • The Welsh and Irish get a more than fair crack of the whip as well!
  • Funny, people in those countries complain that the BBC is too English-centric (the complaint is often that the corporation doesn't live up to the first B in it's name).

I guess no-one is satisfied.
  • edited October 2010
    We're lucky to have the BBC, and I mean that.

Sure it isn't perfect, but you name me an organistation of that size that is and, surprisingly, not every single programme they put out is meant to please every single person who might possibly watch/listen to it.

90% of what they produce is superior to the equivalent that this country's commercial broadcasters manage to turn out. No way ITV or Sky would produce series like the David Attenborough Documentaries or Prof Cox's Solar System shows - far too much upfront investment and too long to wait for any return and it's ages since ITV even managed to turn out a decent, intelligent drama. Apart from the Inbetweeners and Red Riding I can't remember the last time I watched a British TV series, on anything other than BBC, and really enjoyed it although Channel 4's adaptation of Pillars of the Earth has made a reasonable start.

Is anyone seriously suggesting the world would be a richer place if we had wall to wall Big Brother (or 7 days for a more contemporary show) & X factor?
  • I wonde how most English footballers would do on an American talk show.
  • edited October 2010
    Great post from Exiled Addick.

Upminster - can you imagine what kind of interview an English footballer would face on a US chat show? I am a general sports fan, and until now have never heard of Jerry Rice - sorry 'bout that. And with respect I would question the term huge as the BAFL has had to pack in, presumeably due to lack of support? All three quotes seem fine to me, they show respect for the American game by referring to football as UK football rather than calling it real football (or something similar) , 95% of people watching the interview would have no idea what a wide receiver does, so it's a valid question to ask.

The last one clearly refers to his stint on "Dancing with the stars", and he had obviously mentioned it and the quote was a response to that. All seems perfectly reasonable to me old chap.
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]can you imagine what kind of interview an English footballer would face on a US chat show?

No need to imagine it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why on earth would you want to pretend that American Football is popular over here, it isn't and never will be. Soccer has spread around the World like a rash, I wonder how many Countries are represented in the Premiership ? When you watch Five USA regularly like I do ( alright I'm sad ) you see lots of kids playing Soccer, and I reckon the USA will win the World Cup this Century without a doubt.
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Great post from Exiled Addick.

...... 95% of people watching the interview would have no idea what a wide receiver does.

95% ? I think it would be closer to 99.99%!

Thierry Henry is one of my football heroes. Not only for the oustanding elegance and skill of the way he played the game but also the classy way he conducted himself and the stylish way he dressed. But in that clip? Those trainers! They would look rediculous on anyone over the age of 7!
  • [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]Why on earth would you want to pretend that American Football is popular over here, it isn't and never will be. Soccer has spread around the World like a rash, I wonder how many Countries are represented in the Premiership ? When you watch Five USA regularly like I do ( alright I'm sad ) you see lots of kids playing Soccer, and I reckon the USA will win the World Cup this Century without a doubt.

Don't know about that Granpa. I watched some of the latest MLS over there recently and tbh I think we'd have given all the teams I saw more than good game. It's still at that level. A few better known names smattered about but mostly journeymen and players well past their best. It still seems to be a sport aimed at younger boys (until they reach the stage where they can cope with the physical side and want take up other sports like american football) and girls.
  • "Soccer" is seen as a kids game in the US. I believe this is because you can't get a college scholarship in "soccer" whereas you can for baseball, American football and basketball. Until that situation changes soccer (got fed up putting quotes round it) will never be taken seriously in the US. Shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong!
  • You can get a college scholarship in soccer in the US. Many MSL players come through that system.

I had never heard of Jerry Rice until today and I live less than 2hrs from the US border!!
  • That's me shot down! How long has that been the case Oakster?
  • They were talking about Dancing with the Stars ....
  • Basically it's to do with the demographic watching the BBC programme, e.g. mainly people who don't know anything about the sport. They should've let him explain the game though instead of the ignorant comment. If you were to see him being interviewed on sky sports it would've been different, nothing to do with Englishness.

Long may the American lack of interest in soccer continue, or else they're end up winning a world cup! :(
  • American Football has been played in this country for donkey's years, (I ought to know - I played for the 1986-87 junior champions!) and has had varying degrees of popularity here since channel 4 started showing it in the early eighties. Not sure why someone would suggest that anyone on here is trying to 'pretend it's popular over here' - it isn't, and never will be. That doesn't mean it's crap - I think it's a fantastic sport. it has it's fair share of problems, but all sports do (football proving this every time you open a tabloid and see a fat tosser with a moody ankle being paid 200 grand a week, or a classless, idiotic muppet being done for assaulting a 17 year old girl, or someone with 12 points on their license who was somehow able to keep it despite this always meaning a ban for anyone else).

And PS: just because you don't know who Jerry Rice is, doesn't excuse the BBC taking the piss out of him. I bet 99% of people passing Ben Ainslie in the street wouldn't know him from a box of Frosties, but the BBC would never say "so - sailing - that's with boats and all that, innit?"
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]since channel 4 started showing it in the early eighties.

Random fact - my A Level Chemistry teacher used to present Channel 4's NFL coverage.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]since channel 4 started showing it in the early eighties.

Random fact - my A Level Chemistry teacher used to present Channel 4's NFL coverage.
    Gary Imlach? Mick Luckhurst?
  • Ken Thomas.
  • What position did you play Leroy?
  • [cite]Posted By: EastStand[/cite]What position did you play Leroy?
    Free Safety. Also special teams (kickoffs and punt returns)
  • edited October 2010
    +double post+
  • The BBC have been dining out on David Attenborough epics since I can remember. But they are still hopelessly out of touch on sports like NFL, if they can't treat a big name from an overseas sport properly why even bother to interview him?!
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]American Football I think it's a fantastic sport. it has it's fair share of problems, but all sports do (football proving this every time you open a tabloid and see a fat tosser with a moody ankle being paid 200 grand a week, or a classless, idiotic muppet being done for assaulting a 17 year old girl, or someone with 12 points on their license who was somehow able to keep it despite this always meaning a ban for anyone else).

Who was the guy from the NFL that got done for dog fighting? A step up from Stan Collymore & his dogging activities!

Who needs the NFL when you have the, um, CFL!!

Leroy - have you heard of this guy? Gary Anderson - he now lives just down the street from me & he is very involved in my local soccer team - his son will almost certainly make it into the NFL as well within the next couple of years.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]American Football I think it's a fantastic sport. it has it's fair share of problems, but all sports do (football proving this every time you open a tabloid and see a fat tosser with a moody ankle being paid 200 grand a week, or a classless, idiotic muppet being done for assaulting a 17 year old girl, or someone with 12 points on their license who was somehow able to keep it despite this always meaning a ban for anyone else).

Who was the guy from the NFL that got done for dog fighting? A step up from Stan Collymore & his dogging activities!

Who needs the NFL when you have the, um, CFL!!

Leroy - have you heard of this guy?Gary Anderson- he now lives just down the street from me & he is very involved in my local soccer team - his son will almost certainly make it into the NFL as well within the next couple of years.
    Michael Vick. A bigger turd never graced the Earth.

Yeah - Gary Anderson is a legend (though don't ask him about 'that' kick against Atlanta :)

Oh and - PS - even though I'm sure you already know this - the CFL sucks balls.
  • edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]can you imagine what kind of interview an English footballer would face on a US chat show?

No need to imagine it.

I think this one can top it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B6ucoSoIy4
  • Went to an NFL game in San Diego at the weekend. Chargers narrowly missed tieing the game in the last minute when their field goals hit the post and bounced wide, Partiot win. Having been to 5 or so games in the last 4 years of living over this way, have to say I really enjoy watching American Football now. Sunday's at the sports bars are great banter. Also, though never being to rival the tribalism of football back home, the atmosphere at a game is pretty good.

Not so keen on paying ten dollar's a beer though!!