Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weirdest place you've seen the Charlton badge

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Other than on the shirt of players like Djimi Traore and Amdy Faye, where the strangest place you've encountered the Charlton badge.

Was in Amsterdam this week, and a complete nutcase of an old man came cycling down the street I was walking along, hollering out to everyone he passed and then attempted (and failed badly) to sing out load in an opera voice! Like everyone around me I found the sight of him highly amusing, until I saw the Charlton scarf he was wearing.

Anyone else come across the Charlton badge somewhere they least expected it?

Comments

• Options
    On a clock in a 'bar' (someone's front room) just outside Moshi in Northern Tanzania....... Surreal
  • Options
    lol brilliant! I was in Chicago -us and see a family and one of the sons had a charlton polo shirt on! i was amazed!
  • Options
    On holiday with the family in Florida, we stopped in a bar for a quick drink and it was showing a football match on the TV screens - it was a re-run of a recent Charlton game and we spotted ourselves in the crowd! We ecstatically pointed this out to the barman, who barely raised his eyes from the newspaper he was reading.
  • Options
    As a pair of sunglasses worn by the manager of a hotel in Skiathos. He was given them by a friend from Dartford who was a regular guest.
  • Options
    In patong phuket, the morning after the night of the bartlett goal v Leicester, a local with a charlton shirt on a motorbike going past. I was too pissed to realise it until he was round the corner. Plus I did not even know the result as had flown in that morning from an indo island via singapore and the tv crashed at half time of the live coverage the night before.
  • Options
    In Luang Prabang, Loas. I saw an old lady sweeping the road in the old cream away MESH kit. I'm guessing a tourist left it behind for her bcos I doubt she could afford to buy it!
  • Options
    Saw a local wearing a CAFC Jersey in Cancun, Mexico.

When i was 12 i got interviewed from a news station because i sat next to a woman on a flight that had recently left her children behind in Florida on a flight to Chicago. News crews swamped us upon arrival to the terminal. During the interview i was wearing my Charlton hat and all my mates saw.
  • Options
    Up Joan Crawford's arse.
  • Options
    Saw a young man wearing one at the Rage Against the Machine gig earlier this year.
    Not as exotic but I was still pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    seeing it stuck on the main stand at selhurst was weird.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The next time i go on holiday to an exotic place im going to take some Charlton Gear with me...then somebody else can spot it and follow it on!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: heavenSE7[/cite]In Luang Prabang, Loas. I saw an old lady sweeping the road in the old cream away MESH kit. I'm guessing a tourist left it behind for her bcos I doubt she could afford to buy it!

Similar story, which I have mentioned on here before. I was in a small village not too far from Klang (that rings a bell!) in Malaysia. I saw a teenage girl wearing a Charlton shirt, so I asked her if she supported Charlton. She looked at me blankly then realised what I was talking about - "Ah, buy cheap in market. You like this team?" I nearly said "No, I support Manchester United" like the rest of the nation, but I decided not to.
  • Options
    Not exactly strange but for our honeymoon we booked a week in a cottage in an isolated area of Cornwall: nothing for miles around except one other cottage 100 yards away. As we drove past the new Mrs.M said 'bloody hell-look at that'. The car outside the other cottage was proudly displaying Charlton badges. One of those 'it's a small world 'moments, especially as in 1971 we didn't seem to have that many supporters.
  • Options
    In Calungute in Goa India.Indian Man with Mesh top......I was so amazd I gave him my Llanera top there and then
  • Options
    Surprised nobody mentioned the 1994 World Cup Final, bloke in a Charlton shirt behind the presentation party
  • Options
    Rodney's bedroom wall...
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: heavenSE7[/cite]In Luang Prabang, Loas. I saw an old lady sweeping the road in the old cream away MESH kit. I'm guessing a tourist left it behind for her bcos I doubt she could afford to buy it!

Our rugby club (in Patong) used to buy squads of Mesh shirts and give them to local football teams in Laos when we went up there on tour
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]In patong phuket, the morning after the night of the bartlett goal v Leicester, a local with a charlton shirt on a motorbike going past.

Was it a silver CB750 custom by any chance Steve? (Im guessing you probably werent too focussed!)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]lol brilliant! I was in Chicago -us and see a family and one of the sons had a charlton polo shirt on! i was amazed!

Chicago Addick by any chance?

My two stories are-

A local on the back of a scooter wearing a charlton top in Mumbai! ST holders I think in the North Stand

Was on holiday in Kalkan Turkey, was in town mid day and stopped at a bar for a coke, it was empty cept for the staff, a family walks in and start talking to the staff, they're seated behind me and I hear "Oh we support a club you won't have heard of called Charlton, cue groan from my wife and a 1/2 hour chat on Pardew and the forthcoming season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: heavenSE7[/cite]In Luang Prabang, Loas. I saw an old lady sweeping the road in the old cream away MESH kit. I'm guessing a tourist left it behind for her bcos I doubt she could afford to buy it!
    Our rugby club (in Patong) used to buy squads of Mesh shirts and give them to local football teams in Laos when we went up there on tour

Brilliant!! I bet the old girl is still wearing it!
  • Options
    south bermondsey
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Outside a pub at 2 in the morning in Drumkeeran, Leitrim. Leitrim is the size of Greater London and 20,000 people live there.
  • Options
    On a lad's top whilst queueing for a boat to the Great Barrier Reef in Cairns, Australia.

Went up to him expecting him to be local, but no, apparently he saw us on Sky against Tottenham (the game where Chris Powell scored) and thought we were so good he'd support us....despite living in Birmingham and never having been to London in his life.

The only time I've compared us to the Harlem Globetrotters!
  • Options
    A shirt in a bar in Gumbet, Turkey this summer.
  • Options
    BR7, saw that same shirt in Gumbet this year, was tempted to give them my more recent version but decided against it in the end!
  • Options
    My thoughts still go back to when we were on a train years ago and CAFC was on a wall at Crewe station.

To this day it makes me laugh as these fellas thought it meant us!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]Up Joan Crawford's arse.
    I got in there via a very dodgy method.

I got in there through osmosis.

It was a f*cking mess. The people
  • Options
    Actually it was her stomach now I think about it. Jayne Mansfield's arse. Lovely girl, but the lobsters. Jesus.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: happyvalley[/cite]south bermondsey[/quote]
    exactly what i was about to say, well you beat me to it 5 hours ago
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I saw a Charlton poster in the window of a pub in Crystal Palace, it was there for ages- Showed Robinson and Redfearn celebrating a goal in front of the covered end when we destroyed Southampton 5-0 in 1998. Also on the wall in the little boys bedroom in Home Alone 3 (crap film I know) there was a poster of Mike Amman in front of the east stand (weird!). Finally tattoed on the back of some bloke's leg in Sutton High Street!
  • Options
    Wasent there a Charlton shirt worn on Neighbours or Home and away?

Also a Charlton scarf on Gavin and Stacy on uncle Brins wall in Barry island!!