Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tracy Emin

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]As an aside the Chapman brothers have just remade the Rebel.

Was not aware of that ... look forward to it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Sorry that I belittled cat vomit Henry...

Shame that you don't open your eyes and look. Maybe if you stopped getting your opinions off that creepy guy and thought for yourself.

but hey, your loss.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Although its said that anything that pleases can be art, its worth must sometimes be questioned. When a non artist is able to con experts with artwork of a similar appearence and originality, either the bogus work has the same merit and should be afforded the same reverence, or along with the original artists works should be thought of as self indulgent nonsense that obviously anyone can produce.

I few years ago(about 20 i think) Gerald Scarfe did a documentry on this subject.
    He present 3 pictures on the railings, Bayswater Road.
    1 was a Picasso worth $250,000 or there abouts
    2 was a print of his bum in blue paint (he called it Blue Moon)
    3 was a work done by his 5 year old daughter.

You can guess what nonsense was said about all 3 pictures.
  • Options
    pmsl henry comedy gold
  • Options
    By the way Windscreen, why not check out 'The Genius of British Art' which was on Channel 4 last Sunday (31st Oct) with Janet Street-Porter ... it should be on iplayer/youtube or somewhere similar ... she interviewed John Lydon, Tracey Emin, Damien Hirst, Grayson Perry and others ... this all may make a little more sense to you after viewing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Never a would ya if youve read her tent history!

Don't be so squeamish - bag up and be a man!
  • Options
    The value of art has nothing to do with it's quality.
    If you like a piece you like a piece.

There is no right or wrong.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]The value of art has nothing to do with it's quality.
    If you like a piece you like a piece.

There is no right or wrong.

Some people buy art for its investment value.
    This is where I have trouble seeing if it is good or not.
  • Options
    I disagree with Windscreen as well. If you said Windscreen a non-artist came up with the work at the same time as Emin, then yes they both have the same value; utterly disregarding the oxygen of publicity/popularity that any succesful artist needs in any age.

People comment on Modern Art without ever having seen any of the work, or having been to a proper Modern Art exhibition. I am no great fan of Emin, but for me modern art is about emotional reaction with maybe logical interpretation following after. When I saw Jake and Dinos Chapman's work in magazines I hated it, when I saw it in it's plastic flesh I had an overwhelming emotional reaction. A similar reaction to that of when I went to Paris's cattacombs, something I've rarely felt in seeing any art in a gallery. I had the reverse reaction to Hockney, but still love his style. When I see Turner's Trafalgar I have an emotional reaction, and just a logical wonderment at the vast story he's trying to tell in both minature and macro. For me I couldn't care less about whether it art, modern art or not the only true test for me is actually seeing the work up close.

The modern art I despise is the art that's only meaning is in it's written precis pinned to the wall. I don't class Emin, Warhol, Hockney and Pollock in that group of merde.
  • Options
    One of my claims to fame was throwing up over miss emin some years back. She was at the time dating Medway musician/poet Billy childish and we were at a party and i'd had a fair bit to drink. Unfortunately (for her) she was in my projectile "zone". Always wondered if her sick covered T-shirt was featured in her scummy bedroom exibit?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "..... but for me modern art is about emotional reaction with maybe logical interpretation following after."

Great comment ... exactly the way I see it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]"..... but for me modern art is about emotional reaction with maybe logical interpretation following after."

agree.

Same goes for music.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]"..... but for me modern art is about emotional reaction with maybe logical interpretation following after."

agree.

Same goes for music.

And would ya's
  • Options
    windscreen CommentTime16 hours ago quote# 1
    Although its said that anything that pleases can be art, its worth must sometimes be questioned. When a non artist is able to con experts with artwork of a similar appearence and originality, either the bogus work has the same merit and should be afforded the same reverence, or along with the original artists works should be thought of as self indulgent nonsense that obviously anyone can produce.

Does this also work for someone singing someone elses songs?
    Does the original song become indulgent nonsense?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]windscreen CommentTime16 hours ago quote# 1
    Although its said that anything that pleases can be art, its worth must sometimes be questioned. When a non artist is able to con experts with artwork of a similar appearence and originality, either the bogus work has the same merit and should be afforded the same reverence, or along with the original artists works should be thought of as self indulgent nonsense that obviously anyone can produce.

Ooooooof!
  • Options

Touche ... LOL
  • Options

Game, set and match.
  • Options

Well Emin certainly creates an emmotional response from me....

It also has little to do with her artwork even if I am not a fan of 'modern art'. And I have been to exhibitions to find out (a friend went to college with Damion Hirst and worked on the installation where the guy shredded his belongings).
    I just think she is a totally objectional indiviudal and the world would be a better place without her. Although that might make the value of her art increase.
  • Options

Game, set and match.
    Yep. Most comprehensive messageboard victory I've seen for some time. The equivalent of a 7-0 pasting.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

Game, set and match.
    Yep. Most comprehensive messageboard victory I've seen for some time. The equivalent of a 7-0 pasting.

manager sacked in the morning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    *Throws season ticket at windscreen*
  • Options
    [quoteI just think she is a totally objectional indiviudal and the world would be a better place without her. [/quote]

Why, what has she done DFR?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite][quoteI just think she is a totally objectional indiviudal and the world would be a better place without her. [/quote]

Why, what has she done DFR?[/quote]

shat the bed and put it in the tate modern?