Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So, where has it all gone RIGHT?

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
After an indifferent start, developing into some worryingly rudderless displays and culminating in the Brighton debacle, the team looked like it was devoid of ideas and direction. The injury to Kyel Reid - our "most likely" player - left us all feeling a bit fearful for the future. The calls for Parky's head were gathering momentum and there were a series of very tricky games on the immediate horizon.

I don't want this to turn into one of those "I told you so/I'm happy to eat my words" type threads, but on the basis that there has been no major change in personnel and no blindingly obvious change in tactics, what do you think lies behind our seemingly miraculous change of form and fortune?

My view? I never thought we were that far off in the first place, and certainly the players we had should - on paper - have been up to the job, but things just didn't seem to be "clicking". Now they seem to have clicked big time and we've caught a few people with their pants down and, excuse the analogy, hammered it home and giving them a damn good ... er ... going over!

I wont get carried away by todays result - although have cracked open a celebtatory bottle of ale, and may venture into the garage for another soon - but the signs are definitley there that this could, could, be a good season. Christ knows we're due some good times!

Comments

• Options
    Hair-gel.jpg

Or maybe someone's gone out and bought a job lot of this?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]So, where has it all gone RIGHT?

The balance in the midfield......with Jacko on the left.
  • Options
    lets just hope we do it this time,very early in season but i think we may have turned the corner im told we played good football as well something that bodes well
  • Options
    Absolutely amazed. Have to admit to leaning towards the Parky out camp. I will now give him till Xmas of course and if we get a sniff of promotion come May will conveniently forget my negative postings !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Spot on Oggy, It is like last year with Bailey on the left made us more solid than having him in the middle with 2 wingers.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jackson in midfield as said, but also Anyinsah up front, Fry a more natural left back than Jackson, Benson settling in, Racon stepping up his game (and Martin today). Dailly was also out for the whole of September. Wagstaff keeps improving.

Against Brighton we started ok, got plenty of crosses in, but it was predictable and we needed to threaten in other ways (and improve defensively of course).

The players now have real belief in both themselves and the team.

Parky and his coaching team also have to get credit for their good team selection and man management. Could have easily panicked and changed the tactics drastically, but Parky stuck with his belief that we could play decent but also effective football in a 4-4-2.

Of course to be organised, play as a team and get results you need to get the right players in, which is what we did back in the summer.

What I like is how this squad can mix things up. There's no concern that we can't compete physically, or can only play one way. If we have to go more direct we can, but we're also capable of playing decent football on the ground.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think the players just needed that thrashing at home to Brighton, made them realise that they all are well good enough to be sitting high high in the table.

i have been saying for the past few weeks that i don't feel this amazing form will end and normally jinx would come to mind and back to upsetting days, but it has not happend.

The most impressive part of it all is that, the teams we have played have all been promotion contenders and the games have been away.

No games in this league are easy wins, but we now have some (if i dare say) games that are much easier then the previous 5 fixtures have been.

Just hope the team don't start thinking their work is done for a little while and start relaxing.

I will put my neck on the line and say once again 'I don't see this vain form going anywhere yet'

Happy days everybody, happy days :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]

Spot on Oggy, It is like last year with Bailey on the left made us more solid than having him in the middle with 2 wingers.

Agree with Oggy and roseandcrown. Jackson is positionally sound and has great technique. Reid has a real fight on his hands to get his place back, which can only be a good thing.

Looking forward to seeing us back The Valley over the next few weeks.
  • Options
    Agree with a lot of the comments regarding formation and balance of the team but for me the crucial point is the attitude of the players. We spent far too much of the start of the season trying to coast through periods of games only to find we couldn't up the tempo when we needed to.

The Brighton game was a neccesary wake up call for quite a few players who weren't doing themselves or the club justice.
  • Options
    We are scoring first and winning. Put the same team out next game, same thing etc. Well done for that, however...........

I want to see us go behind and see some tactical and/or changes in personal to turn a game around, then I'll start believing more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]We are scoring first and winning. Put the same team out next game, same thing etc. Well done for that, however...........

I want to see us go behind and see some tactical and/or changes in personal to turn a game around, then I'll start believing more.[/quote]

I agree with what your saying, however i am happy and would rather go a goal in front and win lol.
  • Options
    Careful, though, it is going right but don't jinx it!

It's easy from here in Cornwall in my opinion- we are a team respected through the footballing world for our intelligent fanbase, grace under pressure and comittment to the truth of football. Our academy is legendary, our history grows deep into the roots of football. If you go on the FAST SHOW - you tube - there's a simple little sketch from Ron Manager 'Saturday IS football' and Charlton are namechecked alongside all the sides that hold the truth of English football. Charlton Athletic will always be great - like Arsenal or Sheffield Wednesday.

But we haven't earned it yet. I think we'll come back one day - maybe not in my lifetime. Like that song by The Smiths. I have to suffer and burn for a longer time? Great great great. Love you Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    Everyone is behind the team, making them play with confidence.

Magic.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2-Hw8ukqc&feature=related
  • Options
    I am just pleased that CAFC have put a smile back on our faces and a hope in our hearts. I am genuinely pleased for Parky as well, nice guy undoubtedly, but that does not always equate to being a good manager, in any field.
    Think theaway support has been pretty special as well..........cause/effect? heaven knows but well done all you travelling Addicks
    Lets hope for a win against Barnet and a really supportive turnout for the squad next Saturday. The club has an offer to ST holders to bring a max of 2 guests at a reduced rate.......I already have one victi, er, guest........lets all try to bring at least one and make a real noise.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: milne[/cite]I am just pleased that CAFC have put a smile back on our faces and a hope in our hearts. I am genuinely pleased for Parky as well, nice guy undoubtedly, but that does not always equate to being a good manager, in any field.
    Think theaway support has been pretty special as well..........cause/effect? heaven knows but well done all you travelling Addicks
    Lets hope for a win against Barnet and a really supportive turnout for the squad next Saturday. The club has an offer to ST holders to bring a max of 2 guests at a reduced rate.......I already have one victi, er, guest........lets all try to bring at least one and make a real noise.[/quote]

In regards to the away support being the cause/effect.... i think it really helps thats for sure.
  • Options
    The shoeing from Brighton followed by the booing from us lot seems to have struck a chord don't you think?
  • Options
    In my view, the rapid, massive change in fortune shows one key thing. There was not actually a great deal wrong a few weeks ago that couldn't be fixed by lots of incremental improvements. Going in to the Brighton game, we'd just lost one of the previous seven games and we were six points off top place. And, if, instead of capitulating 4-0, we'd snuck a 2-0 win (and who would bet against something similar if the two teams met again now?) we'd be top this evening.

We're really well-placed to exploit the platform we've created. But there's a fine line between success and failure. We've improved by getting a bit better, everywhere.

Every team, in every division, everywhere has bad patches. Every run is only one game away from ending. We need to ensure we're able to pounce when the teams around us fail.

But we also need to stick together and see it out if the great form of the last few games turns round again. Which it will.
  • Options
    I don't think it has at all Carly. A freak result happened and we was always going to push on i feel. Parky stated that that booing put us back a stage with players confidence shown to be in pieces when we lost that 3 goal lead at Carlisle.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sorry, really have to disagree. The Brighton result did/has made a difference and i don't think we would be in the position had it not happend in that manor.

But yes, booing was not needed, the players knew it was a bad day.

Oh well anyway, thats before our 6 game unbeaten run... lets forget it now :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]I don't think it has at all Carly. A freak result happened and we was always going to push on i feel. Parky stated that that booing put us back a stage with players confidence shown to be in pieces when we lost that 3 goal lead at Carlisle.
    Absolutely right - well said CafcAndy. No-one should congratulate themselves for booing the team. Even if we happen to win the next game. It's divisive, unpleasant, unhelpful, demoralising, negative, nihilistic and self-serving. To claim some credit for it is nonsense.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]I don't think it has at all Carly. A freak result happened and we was always going to push on i feel. Parky stated that that booing put us back a stage with players confidence shown to be in pieces when we lost that 3 goal lead at Carlisle.[/quote]

Well Racon hasn't put a foot wrong since i unloaded my wrath on him the other week.
    As i said at the time .Racon and Semedo as a central pairing are the heartbeat of the side and if they don't perform then the whole thing goes tits up.
    So well done to both of them for turning it around and long may it continue.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]I don't think it has at all Carly. A freak result happened and we was always going to push on i feel. Parky stated that that booing put us back a stage with players confidence shown to be in pieces when we lost that 3 goal lead at Carlisle.
    Absolutely right - well said CafcAndy. No-one should congratulate themselves for booing the team. Even if we happen to win the next game. It's divisive, unpleasant, unhelpful, demoralising, negative, nihilistic and self-serving. To claim some credit for it is nonsense.

I bet you're loads of fun at a pantomime.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]

Well Racon hasn't put a foot wrong since i unloaded my wrath on him the other week.
    As i said at the time .Racon and Semedo as a central pairing are the heartbeat of the side and if they don't perform then the whole thing goes tits up.

I sent an e-mail to Charlton live , which was read out , saying i thought the reason we were playing so bad was because of the pairing of Racon & Semedo. I would like to say , on the record - I was wrong and i'm glad to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    Oh no he isn't!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]

I sent an e-mail to Charlton live , which was read out , saying i thought the reason we were playing so bad was because of the pairing of Racon & Semedo. I would like to say , on the record - I was wrong and i'm glad to be proven wrong.

You wasn't wrong at the time though B. They were cack!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Oh no he isn't!
    Boooooooooooo!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]

Except that Jackson can pass the ball.
  • Options
    Agreed ...... and that Jacko also makes himself available positionally, which brings the best out of Racon's passing game..

Even more importantly ......... In a 4-4-2 with 2 conventional touchline wingers, the 2 CMs have a huge amount of space to cover - and often against opponents who play with only one conventional winger or 3 CMs in a 4-5-1 formation.

Quite simply, Racon and Semedo were often outnumbered and exposed.

With Jackson playing more narrow and perhaps deeper than Reid would have done, his positional play has tightened up the whole CM.
  • Options
    I have been banging on about this for a while- teams set up to have that extra man and nullify our midfield - but now it's much harder with Jackson giving them more support - so the talent - and Racon is a very talented player - comes to the fore. Attack has to play it's part and refreshing to see that without Anyinsah -it can still do that. Sorry- not knocking him but Abbott needs to be 4th choice. Anyinsah is a key player though so hope his groinstrain is mild. Think he will really come into his own against the Yeovils and pressure their defences to open up for us.