Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So, where has it all gone RIGHT?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Agreed ...... and that Jacko also makes himself available positionally, which brings the best out of Racon's passing game..

Even more importantly ......... In a 4-4-2 with 2 conventional touchline wingers, the 2 CMs have a huge amount of space to cover - and often against opponents who play with only one conventional winger or 3 CMs in a 4-5-1 formation.

Quite simply, Racon and Semedo were often outnumbered and exposed.

With Jackson playing more narrow and perhaps deeper than Reid would have done, his positional play has tightened up the whole CM.

Jackson is playing very much the same role that Graham Stuart played for us (albeit on the left). Not an authodox winger but more inclined to tuck in and add strength and support in the middle. Long may it continue.

Was this a masterstroke or found by default due to Reid's injury?
  • Options
    I think there's been a bit of an attitudinal change too. The messy trying to hang onto games that we've dominated seems to be in the past. Not sure if the near disaster at Carlisle shook us out of that or if it's something else, but it's been an ongoing problem throughout the Parky years, so I hope we're over it...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Jackson is playing very much the same role that Graham Stuart played for us (albeit on the left). Not an authodox winger but more inclined to tuck in and add strength and support in the middle. Long may it continue.

Was this a masterstroke or found by default due to Reid's injury?

Neither, I would suspect.

More to do with the fact that Kyel Reid was considered our most dangerous player - and Parky wanted to take the risk to accomodate Reid in the team as opposing defences often found him unplayable.

When Reid was injured, it was logical for Parky to use Jacko in his natural position of course - and adapt tactics accordingly.

The main benefit, whether by accident or design, was to allow Racon to play his own game (like the start of last season when Racon was superb in the early games as one of three CMs in a 4-5-1 formation). .... and to close down midfield space. Jackson has a good technique, tight passing and footballing intelligence, allowing the team to play to feet through the middle, as well as along the line.

Simply put - playing Jacko gives more options on the ball. And we've become a good passing side as a result.

The American's say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ...... and on the back of good team performances and results, Parky's not going to change anything until it's necessary. And so a fit again Reid keeps the bench warm.

But isn't it great when we've got players of the quality of Martin and Reid, like a 'secret weapon' to come on and change the game?
  • Options
    Agree with that Oggy. Mack's cameo today suggested we might be able to switch it around and put Reidy left and Mack right at a later date too.

In answer to the original question though, I think the shift in balance of the midfield without Reidy was the catalyst, but what's really making the difference now is confidence. Their playing with freedom at the moment and long may that continue.
  • Options
    I think the refs have improved , maybe just a coincidence but not so many moans about them now we're winning
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Two things, moving Jackson into midfield, he played there in the Prem for Tottenham so I don't know why it took so long to try him there.
    Secondly a big change in attitutude from Parky. After the Brighton game I can imagine RM saying to him " Parky the fans are not at all happy, we've got a good squad and should be playing far more entertaining football and scoring more goals, sort it out or we'll have to dispence with your services".
    I've been saying it for ages, it's like the team were playing in chains. Now Parky seems to have released the shakles and told them to go out and express themselves. The old saying that confidence breeds confidence is now coming to the fore and we are seeing the benefits. Players who looked like poor players eg Francis and Benson are suddenly looking like excellent players. Positivity and belief, that's the main difference.
  • Options
    Agree Queensland. We were playing as if we were shackled but, for some reason, it's gone and I LOVE IT. :)))

COYR!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • Options
    Jackson, and Anyinsah!

Na d Benson, and Now Racon, and Now twinkle toes Martin... Fantastic...

Belief, its an amazing thing..

If we can just keep this going and get a proper win at the Valley... a Walloping, some poor sould getting battered down at the Valley the crowd all singing and cheering ... fantastic thats what we need now...
  • Options
    A very impressive few weeks :-)
    To be at this point from Brighton in a matter of weeks feels amazing.
    I think a whole combination of factors have turned it around. As stated by many at the time, the potential was there, we just could not seem to get hold of a match for a full 90 mins.
    So in no particular order here's what I think has made the difference:
    The Brighton loss - a response was essential, it's happened.
    Reid's injury so Jackson in midfield - much tighter centrally, allows Racon to create and go forward.
    Anyinsah and Benson - the first holds the ball up well and is a handful, the second has found his scoring touch.
    Good hard fought victories away from home, getting the winner at Carlisle has fostered self belief.
    Clear support for the manager- they have played for him - a very positive sign IMHO, that's what gives us fight, passion and belief.
    Much tighter defensive performances, we're not conceding those soft goals.
    Great home performance against Sheff Weds.

So we're back where we hoped/needed to be in the table. We have something to build on, we've shown we can do it, it's all to play for.
    Feels great :-)
  • Options
    some good individual performances.
    I always rated Martin but thought the others weren't reading him, but know they are a bit more aware of what he might do.
    racon settling in to midfield again and rediscovering his championship partnership with semedo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some good and interesting points here.

Not entirely convinced that the sole reason is Jackson playing in midfield, but I think that has helped. It just seems to me that there are a number of things that have all clicked at the same time, in particular Benson finding his feet and him getting used to our style of play - and us adapting to his.

Fry in at left back shouldn't be overlooked either as he is a much better defender than JJ who, in my book, had cost us a couple of goals in that position earlier on in the season and never looked comfortable. Also Francis has improved, so when the defence is solid it takes a bit of pressure off, thus aloowing the more forward thinking oplayers to express themselves.
  • Options
    Brighton result was a big wake up call for for parky. We had the players but he wasn't getting the best out of them. Some needed a kick up the arse and some telling the time for excuses was over, McCormack said as much since. Jackson into midfield has made a big difference but we are now much more offensive and look like scoring. This has bred confidence and that plays a massive part for all teams, even those like Chelsea. A couple of poor results and suddenly they look a different team. Long way to go but Brighton result was a blessing in disguise. Without it we might still be bumbling along papering over the cracks. Credit to parky for taking a step back, analysing what was going wrong, rectifying those issues that many fans felt needed addressing and coming out with a reinvigorated team . Early days but very encouraging. Long way to go but long may it continue.
  • Options
    I think my switch from Talisker to a 12 y.o.Macallan has had a lot to do with our upturn in form.
    God knows what will happen when i start on the Laphroaig!!
  • Options
    Oh......and the team seems much more balanced too....proper, solid side now.
  • Options
    Shall i press F5 and see what happens ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Shall i press F5 and see what happens ?
    Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!
  • Options
    Causes?
    1. PP Getting rid of the Pardew rubbish
    2. Long term planning from PP
    3. Purchasing the right players at knock down prices as part of this long term vision
    4. Experimenting with the best partnerships. Testing players in various positions under different types of game (defensive/attacking/battling/pushing for a win etc)
    5. Not over-reacting to poor performances, but learning from them.
    6. Balancing injuries, loss of form of individual players, lack of confidence of individuals and the team as they learnt to play to a new system. I am positive PP is the kind of manager who is excellent at improving players' self-belief. In other words, coaching to get the best out of each individual player.

If there are blips along the way, some may be down to the players, some to poor refereeing decisions, some to poor tactics by PP, some due to Brian Cole giving dangerous high-fives to our scorers.(surely a part of the modern game that should be outlawed?).

But taking the longer-term, overall, view, it does seem that PP's vision is finally coming together. Some of us were impatient demanding short term success as if it were a PS3 game on re set, but the real world isnt like that. It takes seasons to get it right and sometimes we just have to be patient.
  • Options
    Loads of reasons given with a decent argument for all. Don't underestimate the the simple platform that a bit of good fortune can provide.

Up at Carlisle we threw away a comfortable lead before rescuing it with a last min winner. Had that late goal gone the other way, like down at Plymouth in Nov 2008 when they scored against us in the 94th minute and left Pardew just one game away from the sack, then i'm not sure the Sheff W improved performance would have followed. Up to that point we seemed to be governed by a bit of fear and caution, those Carlisle and Sheff W victories allowed us to approach a game against a much weakened Swindon with a lot more confidence to go and play, and really attack the game. For a run of 3 or 4 games, everything seemed to fall into place in our favour, which hasn't happened hardly ever in the last 4 years.

The margins between success and failure can be so so small at times.

This run will not last for ever, but while we are clearly playing on a high its important we get as much from it as we can.
  • Options
    Don't think we should under estimate the effect the Brighton tonking has had on the players. Not the booing at the end as this has no positive charge at all, but if the Charlton players heard or were told about Brighton being applauded off the pitch by the home fans ( me included,never done it before,don't want to do it again) I would be highly shameful and embarressed that my own fans had turned up to watch me but appreciated the other team more.
    Great response from Parky and the Team. Early days but it feels like we could be getting our Charlton back.
  • Options
    AFKA's said it - this run is more down to Benson's injury-time winner at Carlisle than anything else. It gave us all some belief back. If that hadn't gone in, the knives would have been poised for Parky, and the atmosphere at The Valley for the Sheff Weds game would have been very, very different. I dread to think of the chaos we could be in now.

But blimey it was about time we had a slice of luck - and let's just hope it can now turn into a long stretch of good fortune!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Compared to the winning streak we had at the start of last season when the performances didn't always seem to justify the result these latest wins are all from big performances. Much more comfortable feeling this time. It could be luck that a few things came together at the same time or PP has performed a mini miracle, or a combination of those, but whatever it was it has allowed the players to express themselves. If PP was good at getting the best from players I am not sure we would have seen so many individual poor performances in the past. I am more inclined to think that the players have taken responsibility individually and collectively, for the sake of the club, for the sake of PP but most of all for the sake of themselves. That would be less likely if we had players in the dressing room who think football owes them a better living than the Valley can offer them. Like an earlier poster said, the applauding of Brighton should have hit their egos hard where booing wouldn't have had any impact. I don't think we should underestimate that. For whatever reason the players are playing to their ability, formations and tactics will help but will not of itself create the higher tempo and confident team play we are seeing. It's PPs job to know what has happened and build on it even if he wasn't entirely responsible. Perhaps that is where his strengths lay, I really hope so.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Causes?
    1. PP Getting rid of the Pardew rubbish
    2. Long term planning from PP
    3. Purchasing the right players at knock down prices as part of this long term vision
    4. Experimenting with the best partnerships. Testing players in various positions under different types of game (defensive/attacking/battling/pushing for a win etc)
    5. Not over-reacting to poor performances, but learning from them.
    6. Balancing injuries, loss of form of individual players, lack of confidence of individuals and the team as they learnt to play to a new system. I am positive PP is the kind of manager who is excellent at improving players' self-belief. In other words, coaching to get the best out of each individual player.

If there are blips along the way, some may be down to the players, some to poor refereeing decisions, some to poor tactics by PP, some due to Brian Cole giving dangerous high-fives to our scorers.(surely a part of the modern game that should be outlawed?).

But taking the longer-term, overall, view, it does seem that PP's vision is finally coming together. Some of us were impatient demanding short term success as if it were a PS3 game on re set, but the real world isnt like that. It takes seasons to get it right and sometimes we just have to be patient.

I would hold fire on the 'this is all part of Parky's master plan' for a little while Floyd! As the start of last season showed, brief flurries of form can be deceptive, and we've yet to see if he really has cracked it long term.

We were never as bad a side as we seemed after the Brighton result, and equally we're probably not as good a side as now seems after winning 5-1 away from home. It will even out (we're not going to thrash sides away from home every week) and at the moment I'm positive that it will even out into a strong playoff and maybe automatic push.

Let's just hope this astonishing run lasts as long as possible so that if and when some more blips come along, we've got the points in the bank to still be sitting pretty.
  • Options
    Reasons :-

1. No longer playing 2 out & out wingers, so Racon & Semedo are no longer outnumbered.

2. Jackson playing well in left mid, gives the correct shape & he is scoring goals.

3. Anyinsah gives us speed, power & forward movement up front.

4. Benson has settled in now & looks good.

5. Elliot has lost weight and looks improved.

6. Francis has settled in & now looks decent, whereas he was apalling at first (probably due to lack of fitness).

7. Fry is playing well at LB (a lot better than Jackson who was having to play out of position).

8. Dailly is back and back to his very best.

9. Doherty had become painfully slow (possibly due to illness) - he is now back to his best.

10. Fortune has done well & is a far better reserve than Llera (sorry Miguel).

11. Wagstaff is looking better, stronger & is still scoring.

12. Racon is playing his best football for us.

13. Semedo is back to playing like last season.

14. We have been playing more as a team without the more individual players, like Reid & Martin (even though I like them both).

15. Llera hasn't played for a while :-) Sorry again.

Think that's enough for now :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    1. No longer playing 2 out & out wingers, so Racon & Semedo are no longer outnumbered.

I'm actually a big fan of wing play ... probably a throwback to the old days with Paddy, Killer, Flash etc ... however I think that this is a very good point.

8. Dailly is back and back to his very best.

Definitely.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Fair enough Sussex.
    Point taken

Arent all 15 of Covered End's points down to good coaching from PP and Godsella?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]AFKA's said it - this run is more down to Benson's injury-time winner at Carlisle than anything else. It gave us all some belief back.

If that hadn't gone in, the knives would have been poised for Parky, and the atmosphere at The Valley for the Sheff Weds game would have been very, very different.

I dread to think of the chaos we could be in now.

Weegie has totally made the point that the fans can play a major part in proceedings.

Providing the players have the right attitude, removing the oppressive fear factor seems to be the key.