Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SIR PHIL

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Time to get behind this man. He is starting to get it right despite having the rug pulled out on a regular basis and being doubted by a bunch of people who think they know football but obviously haven't got a clue. I have always liked him, but I felt he should have gone after the Brighton game. Shows how much I know.
Time to make this man feel at home, time to cheer his name and accept that this bloke is doing a good job. Time to whisper it quietely, PP might just be a brilliant manager and we might be luckier than we ever imagined.
COME ON YOU REDS, COME ON SIR PHIL..........

Comments

• Options
    Is it now time to sing

Parkys Red Army ?
  • Options
    Or maybe now we could actually sing the last line when we sing EIEIEIO
  • Options
    He certainly comes accross in interviews as a really nice bloke, very likeable. I didn't get as far as calling for his head after the brighton match but was certainly having doubts. We just have to realise that brighton are going through one of those patches where everything goes right for them (up until yesterday of course). Sometimes you just need to accept that on the day, we were completely out-played by an in-form team. There's going to be more games this season when it all goes wrong for us and no doubt the screams of "parky out" will rise once again. The board had faith in him to build this machine. Slowly, he's tuning it to become a mean machine that will take us to the finish line but there's a long way to go yet. If the boo-boys spent as much energy getting behind the team then maybe that extra bit of encouragement might even turn a draw into a win?
  • Options
    Personally I didn't want to see him go after the Brighton game. I have always felt that he was the best man for the job but I feared that his position would become untenable after the 4-0 defeat with the crowd getting on his back and a string of very tough fixtures to come. It's been a magnificent response! It's a long time since I've thought of us as a team with a significant goal threat but now look at us. Benson shows real composure and his intelligent passes created a couple of the goals yesterday. And he scores goals. Waggy's pace causes the opposition huge problems and he has a great eye for goal. Lee Martin has pace an is very direct. Now he's scored a couple his confidence will grow. Johnnie Jackson is becoming a midfield goal machine and Therry Racon has found some shooting boots! A fabulous finish yesterday! Anyinsah is also going to get goals for us. The defence is suddenly looking really solid. It's all looking really bright. If we can't all get behind Parky now when can we?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stackitsteve[/cite]Or maybe now we could actually sing the last line when we sing EIEIEIO
    Never going to happen, I get so annoyed by this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: stackitsteve[/cite]Or maybe now we could actually sing the last line when we sing EIEIEIO

What isn't going to happen?
  • Options
    Deffinately wanted him to go after the Brighton game and much before that. However him not gettin the sack then was proof he's here for the season, so it really is time to get fully behind him! The good signings he made over the summer are starting to work nicely together! There's no reason PP can't take us on a run atleast as good as last year, which would hopefully cement our place in atleast the playoffs and perhaps even a nice cup run!!

Things are looking good, COYR!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stackitsteve[/cite]Or maybe now we could actually sing the last line when we sing EIEIEIO

What isn't going to happen?
    Singing the last line of EIEIEIO, for some reason we only ever sing 3/4 of that song
  • Options
    Sir Phil? ....... steady, at the moment he's only the new Alan Curbishley.
    So important we keep our feet on the ground.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Sir Phil? ....... steady, at the moment he's only the new Alan Curbishley.
    So important we keep our feet on the ground.

;o)

Agreed, don't get too despondent over the lows and don't go over the top for the highs, its a good run but we need to make sure that we keep it going and build up a buffer of poits for the bad days, as brighton have and dipped into yesterday.

I wanted Parkie to be given till Posh, after Brighton, not expecting him to be here for Yeovil, glad he had time and glad he has turned it around, but we are only one or two injuries and suspensions away from mediocrity, so lets try and keep a lid on over hyping parkie and the team.

Our games coming up are easy on paper but these sides will be packing their area and hitting us on the break, defensive speed is not our forte, so whilst we should get the next 12 points in the bag lets get behind the lads and makem sure we are the 12th man to make it happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]so whilst we should get the next 12 points in the bag lets get behind the lads and makem sure we are the 12th man to make it happen.

Spot on, Kap.

We are the 12th man. We can help make it happen.
  • Options
    If we did have a song for Parky it wouldn't do any harm.

Supporters and team together would make The Valley a hard place to come and get a result although our home record on the whole under Parky is good
  • Options
    Fans were singing "Parky's Red and White Army" (to the tune of Seven Nation Army by White Stripes) at Peterboro.

And I agree not singing the

"........when we get promotion this is what we'll sing, WE ARE CHARLTON, SUPER CHARLTON, PARKY IS OUR KING"

bit of the song is very annoying.
  • Options
    I take my hat off to him. Yes parky does deserve a song now for sure.
  • Options
    "Parky's Red and White Army" (to the tune of Seven Nation Army by White Stripes) - Perfect!
  • Options
    Great post Martomoto, sums it up for me,
  • Options
    0-0 at Barnet. Sack him
  • Options
    Sing a song for him if you want but personally I'll wait to join in until he achieves anything. Unless you call relegation an achievement that is.
  • Options
    lol.. Large you are a misery...
  • Options
    I had always supported Parky. Thought of him as a young manager that could grow with us and us with him. However, after the Brighton game, that was enough for me. That, coupled with lots of inept performances, had me convinced that he just didn't have it. Well, he's proving me wrong now and long may it continue. Maybe we have found a diamond in the rough. Now, wouldn't that be nice. :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Sing a song for him if you want but personally I'll wait to join in until he achieves anything. Unless you call relegation an achievement that is.

Very droll Large
    I presume if you go to the theatre, you dont clap until its gone on to have a long run in the West End?
  • Options
    Parky is the man.

Unfortunately I am feeling a wave of apprehension. Last week Brighton and Gus Poyet were the subject of a piece in the Guardian and they lost at the weekend. Now the Guradian have done the same to Charlton after we beat Peterboro! All we need now is the dreaded Manager of the Month.
    I remember in our great play off season we came up on the rails and no one noticed us. That is what we need now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Sing a song for him if you want but personally I'll wait to join in until he achieves anything. Unless you call relegation an achievement that is.

I was missing you Large
  • Options

Great stuff from Large, even though I disagree with him its good to see a man sticking by his guns!

I can imagine Large if we win the league by 15 points saying, "All he's done is take us back from where he got us relegated from, let him get us back to the Premiership and into Europe, then I will give him some credit!"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

"........when we get promotion this is what we'll sing

i always thought it was when we WIN promotion not GET ?????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

Great stuff from Large, even though I disagree with him its good to see a man sticking by his guns!

I can imagine Large if we win the league by 15 points saying, "All he's done is take us back from where he got us relegated from, let him get us back to the Premiership and into Europe, then I will give him some credit!"

LOL. Probably not far from the truth ;-)) In a couple of other threads I have given him credit for sitting down after the Brighton game and addressing certain issues and recognising where things were going wrong. We had the players but he wasn't getting the best out of them. Now, maybe, he is. Time will tell.
  • Options
    Parky always was the man. If you let someone build a team, you should stick with them for the duration, not sack them after 10 games and hope someone else can piece something together. If he wasn't the best man for the job when we hired him (and I think he was in relation to our plight) then he was certainly the best man for the job of getting his own, new team playing together.

It never was the Charlton way to call for a manager's head after a couple of bad performances and I am thoroughly depressed at the attitude of many of our fans, both at games and especially on here. I was incredibly angry when I read a few ironic-free posts about how the backlash was what helped get us up the table. It put me off coming to this site, because it was all I could do to not rant about it.

What depresses me the most, however, is the knowledge that, if the going gets tough in the next week, month, year, or ten years, you guys will be there to start the short-sighted booing, whining and complaining again. Back when I was a lad, we were behind the team regardless of the score. We had a sense of the size of club we were, and how the fans could offer the team so much by being so positive in the face of dire results. I loved going to football back then. We belonged, and when people mocked me for Charlton losing, I knew better than them - I knew what it was like to be at the club and know it was about more than one result.

I didn't think he should go after the Brighton game. I said we had ti get behind him. And I don't think saying "I'm glad to be proved wrong" cuts it. You should have got behind him too. And more importantly, you should learn your frikkin lesson.

See - said I'd end up ranting. Now sod the lot of ya!
  • Options
    Nice one, Jimmy.

Us old gits should stick together!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Nice one, Jimmy.

Us old gits should stick together!

I'll be a slightly younger old git today too then - sums it up prefectly for me, Jimmy. The awful thing about the Brighton match for me was neither the result nor the performance (seen worse or at least as bad many times before) - it was the appalling over-reaction of the crowd, both at the ground and on here afterwards.
  • Options
    I agree with Jimmy.