Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wagstaff vs Sam

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
All competitions
Wagstaff 6 goals 3 assists
Sam 3 goals 3 assist
I know it's a different level but I think we made a great decision here.

Comments

• Options
    Agreed
  • Options
    zzzz. wagstaff is improving loads which is great but i also understand that sam is doing well at leeds.... but this debate is getting tiring now
  • Options
    What? I always rated Sam in his time here BUT he should have got better as we came down and quite simply he actually got worse.
  • Options
    Sam was amazing, just his style of football didn't fit in with the squad. Rather Reid and Wagstaff though
  • Options
    I think Wagstaff is a better player than when Sam broke into the squad at a similar age. Waggy has more to his game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]What? I always rated Sam in his time here BUT he should have got better as we came down and quite simply he actually got worse.
    He didn't get worse. Still got 4 goals and 10 assists himself last season, and 8 or 9 assists in our pathetic and unbalanced 08/09 team.

He'd have loved playing with the strikers we have now over the ones we had in the last two years when it comes to having targets in the box.

Sam has been injured recently and unlike Wagstaff isn't fit enough to really be a threat for the whole 90 mins. Even with that weakness, he's capable of being a squad player in the Championship and that's just what he is doing.

It's worked out well though, both good players and Wagstaff will keep improving.
  • Options
    Don't Leeds play him in a more central role? Also, he shoots more at Leeds and they are actually pretty different, so I wouldn't bother comparing them.

On a different note......

Darren Bent: Games 11 Goals 8
    Jay Bothroyd: Games 16 Goals 15
    Chris Iwelumo: Games 19 Goals 9

Paul Benson: Games 14 Goals 6

Well obviously we made the wrong decision here then ;-)
  • Options
    Admittedly, I don't get to see Charlton a lot, but my take on Sam was that he was too slow thinking for a winger. Good wingers are not just about pace, the good ones can steal a yard or two by thinking quickly and giving their team mates an opportunity for a good pass. Sam was poor on this from what I could see. I've seen even less of Wagstaff, but he seems to be running before the ball is passed.
  • Options
    League only (from Espn)
    Assists Scott Wagstaff Charlton Athletic 6
    Goals Scott Wagstaff Charlton Athletic 7
    League only (from memory)
    Assists Lloyd Sam Leeds United 2
    Goals Lloyd Sam Leeds United 2
  • Options
    What helped Lloyd a lot last year, was that he had the best right back in the league playing with him, and that helped him no end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]What helped Lloyd a lot last year, was that he had the best right back in the league playing with him, and that helped him no end.

Are you inferring that Wagstaff doesn't have the best RB in the league playing with hm, Rothko?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]What helped Lloyd a lot last year, was that he had the best right back in the league playing with him, and that helped him no end.

Are you inferring that Wagstaff doesn't have the best RB in the league playing with hm, Rothko?

;o)
    He doesn't and Richardson was injured for long periods of last season.
  • Options
    If we stay in Division 1 they could both be good. In fact, the lower we sink, the better they would get.
  • Options
    Sam never improved the lower we got
  • Options
    whatever happened to sam??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]whatever happened to sam??

maybe coming back to Charlton on loan I hear through the grapevine.

Powell was a big fan from his time as a player it appears.
  • Options
    lol your good
  • Options
    Double swoop with Mooney?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]lol your good

Laugh if you like but you know I have contacts, even now.
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Double swoop with Mooney?

No, he was a Parky player. Dyer had him on trial at West Ham before he went to Reading and turned him down
  • Options
    your scaring me Henry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]your scaring me Henry

May not happen. Leeds are pushing for promotion so want a deep squad.
  • Options
    No smileys with your comments im concerned
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]No smileys with your comments im concerned

check out the Leeds message boards. They claim we asked last weekend but were told no but if that if Grayson/Leeds get the players they want in the loan window it could still happen.
  • Options
    Oh gawd
  • Options
    would add some competition and every one keeps saying waggy only does it for 30 minutes.... who could we get in for the other 60?
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind this. Opposing managers always doubled up on him, so they must have thought he had something. Remember his goal v MK Dons? Who else have we got who could do that?
  • Options
    No thanks
  • Options
    Remember his cowardice in the playoffs swindon...
  • Options
    It must be true its on Football Rumours

03 Feb 2011 18:55:02
    Rumours that Grayson wants to get Lloyd Sam out on loan to regain fitness but only when and if he can bring in a loan player. Charlton are interested in taking him back as Powell and Sam played together at the Valley.
  • Options
    i hope not i couldnt take him being out of breath after 5 mins instead of 10 seeing as he wouldnt be at full fitness