Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bit of advice sought

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
I'm thinking of taking my boy to his first football match tomorrow night. Thing is that he's only just over 16 months old, anybody got any experience/advice around taking one that little to a match?

Comments

• Options
    Make sure you remove the top from his bottle before entering the ground.
  • Options
    Do it. Then when he’s in his twenties and Charlton are winning trophy after trophy, spanking Barca in our 65,000 seater Valley he’ll be able to say to all the Johnny come lately’s “I was there when we beat Barnet in an FA Cup first round replay when we were in the third tier”.
  • Options
    Make sure he understands the offside rule otherwise his enjoyment of the game will be ruined.

Fair play to you mate, don't think I've ever seen someone so young at a game. First time I took my boy, he was 5 and the main thing I was worried about was him being bored. Bit different for a 16 month old.

All I can say is make sure he is really well wrapped up to protect from the cold.
  • Options
    Andy ...

Why?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well Ric, his life has been too cushy so far, so I thought it time to show him some pain and suffering. No, not watching charlton, just sitting in the valley and waiting for the first misplaced pass to be booed and the parky out chants to start when it's not 10 nil at half time

Seriously though, I don't get to many games any more with work commitments and playing on a Saturday, so I thought I'd try and get along to this one. Taking my son because I think he'll like the noise and excitement (well hopefully, could be another dull 0-0!) and it'll give his mum a few hours to herself to have a bath and a relax.
  • Options
    Speaking as a father of 3 in my opinion 16 months is far too young and in all probability neither he nor you will enjoy it.

He will get bored and you will get annoyed.

My daughters enjoyed football from around the age of 7 if that is any help.
  • Options
    Think I was about 18 months when I went (got taken) to my first game. Stoke away I believe, en route to a holiday in Scotland.

I'm afraid my menory is a bit hazy of that day though, so I can't really offer you any sage advice. Wrap him up warm is about all I can come up with and that's something of a no-brainer!
  • Options
    16 months seems too young to me - I took my one for the first time when he was 6. If you don't live too far away from the ground maybe take him but be prepared to leave after half an hour if it's a bit of nightmare.
  • Options
    Well, I know he's not going to enjoy the game as such. I'm hoping he will enjoy the noise and all the people. I'm resigned to catching snatches of the game on the monitors whilst he toddles around a deserted concourse for big chunks of the game, but I'll still see more of the game than I would sitting at home, he'll hopefully have a fun evening and the mrs will get a break.
  • Options
    I took my youngest to his first game,Carlisle away at 4 y/o and he loved every second,the game and the day out train ride etc.Came home singing your just a small town in Scotland!Me and the Mrs took one of our other sons to Murrayfield to watch Scotland v Wales at 18 months,he was ok with it,wanted to sit with Mum then Dad then Mum then nodded off at half time and slept through the second half!I would have struggled a bit by myself though, but take him it will become a habbit and lead to some very happy memories.Just read the nostalgic posts on here with sons and dads.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Your lad is 16 months old?

And you want to take him to a night match?

You'll be lucky if he has the attention span of 10 minutes. Then he'll tire quickly.
    I might be mistaken but the chances are he won't cope, it'll be over his head, he'll want your attention and if he doesn't get it he'll probably holler his head off and upset other spectators around you.

And your missus will worry all evening that he's okay - so she won't relax either. He'd better off in bed.

Sorry, as a Dad myself, I reckon 16 months far too young. And it's not even fair to your baby.
    His time will come soon enough.
  • Options
    Honestly mate, too cold, too bored, too tired.

Took my boy to his first game when he was 3, against Barnsley in the re-promotion season, 80 degrees, first game of the season, Mendonca Hat trick (I think??), anyway, he was asleep by half time.
  • Options
    Andy, i'm pretty certain my two babies will be at a game at The Valley at some point this season so not going to knock you, but that in a way will be easier because they are still babies and won't have a clue about it and we'd be based in a near empty block with other family around.

I think there is a hell of a difference between going on a nice bright April afternoon though and a cold dark November evening. I'd actually question the safety element of crowd's etc going in the evening to be honest, particularly in the street outside ground.

Can see where you are coming from, a bonding thing you could always refer back to and a break for mum for a few hours, but i would have thought at that age a sleep routine in the evening was more important, and if mum needs a break, organise a day outing with some friends or other family on a weekend.
  • Options
    I must admit I'm having doubts. I don't think he will be tired (the fireworks kept him awake the other weekend and since then he's been in a pattern of sleeping late, having a nap around 4:30/5pm and then not being tired again until gone 10, we're slowly pulling him back into the 8:30 bedtime routine, but it's going to be a few more days before we get there) and the cold won't be an issue as he loves being outside and he'll be wrapped up warm. The problem will be him getting bored and wanting to explore, which would lead to me spending the whole game on the concourse playing with him and catching the odd clip of the game on the screen with him in my arms.

Might be best to wait until the home friendly in July, hot weather and a meaningless match (so if I have to leave early it won't make any difference!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]I must admit I'm having doubts. I

Might be best to wait until the home friendly in July, hot weather and a meaningless match (so if I have to leave early it won't make any difference!)

Yep, he'll be a tougher little fella with more stamina next summer.
    Good call, Andy.
  • Options
    Can only echo the sentiments of others. Took my daughter to the Braga friendly when she was 3. Held her attention for 30-35 mins. She then spent the remainder of the game asking to go home and playing up because she was bored.

Tried again when she was 4.5. Lasted 60mins this time.

It will end up with you leaving early!
  • Options
    in my experience not worth it till they are at least 7 years old.

Having said that my 17 month old son loved seeing Launton get hammered a few weeks ago, and says"football" when he sees it on the telly and watching us play FIFA, and loves having a little kick about.
  • Options
    My daughter's 2 in a couple of weeks and wouldn't even contemplate it.

Got up with her yesterday morning and whilst she was busying herself on the sofa with breakfast, I watched MOTD from the previous night.

Didn't even think she was watching it until there was a goal in the first game and she shouted "goal"

I was gobsmacked. Even funnier was when there was a shot that went close and she shouted it again then said "oh no"

Turns out, she'd been watching football during the week with my Dad who'd been teaching her to shout it out!
  • Options
    i took my son to a preseason at welling about 4 years ago (he was 4 at the time).. i spent the entire game trying to stop him climbing over the hoarding as he wanted to go on the pitch
  • Options
    Took my little boy who's 13 months to the u18 game the other week when it was a bit warmer.

Was surprised but he actually managed to last until half-time before he'd had enough. I think you've made the right choice Andy.

If you want to start taking him to a game I would recommend taking him up there as he can still run about a bit and your not wasting money on having to leave early.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I started taking my son at 8 months when he had his first season ticket, have to plan things like a military operation though. It came about because I am a Charlton die hard, and I could hardly say to Mrs Plum 'I'm off to the footie, you take care of the baby'. After about two tricky matches it was OK, you need to have sympatico people around you, and for that (the folk I sit amongst) I was/am grateful.
  • Options
    No disrespect Andy, but you must be daft. How can you ever imagine looking forward to go watch football on a november night with your 16 month old
    daughter _ even if it's Charlton!
    What worries me is that you seem to have made your missus so desperately in need of a breather that she does'nt realize how ridiculous it is to agree
    to your plan.
  • Options
    My brothers boy has been coming to the vallley since he was three
    At 4 he has a season ticket and a very large bag of sweets every game
    Can't let em drink to much though or you'll be up and down the khazi like a yo-yo!
  • Options
    If my 3 year old sits still for more than 5 minutes, then he's probably fallen asleep.

Wouldn't hesitate to take my daughter to a game, at 6 she would probably get a bit bored but unlike her brother she's not going to be attempting to crowd surf over the rows in front!!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Even if he is interested at the start, small kids have a very short attention span. He's unlikely to enjoy it for more than a few minutes and then you'll be distracted as you have to find things to keep him amused. That's not fair on him and not fair on you.
    I'd strongly suggest that you question your own motives before taking him along. What reason would you have for wanting him to go; is it just so you can boast that he was a fan at 18 months? It seems a risky strategy to me, if you bore him you could put him off of wanting to go again. Far better to wait until he's positively asking you to come along. Also, if tomorrow is anything like tonight was it's going to be chuffing freezing out. Do you really think an 18 month old is really going to want to be hanging around outside for 2 hours? No, of course not. Better to take him at a time of year when it's far milder than it is in November [edit - sorry, I see you've said as much yourself, above]. It'll be easier on you as well, because you wont have so many coats and blankets and things to tote around.

If you really can't resist the temptation to take him, make sure you take someone else who loves the kid, but doesn't like football. That way they can have the job of walking him up and down the concourse to keep him amused rather than you having to miss the game.
  • Options
    My daughter came to her first game at 7 months and was ok as we just cuddled her and she could sleep

I'd suggest 16 months is an awkward age as he will get bored and will annoy you. On top of that it's probably not going to be much above freezing and would be a very late night for a toddler

I'd be inclined not to do this
  • Options
    Speaking from experience, it's a totally mad idea (and bordering on the irresponsible given the weather).
  • Options
    my sons takes me all the time and gets me home when I bolloxed, he's 9 years old
  • Options
    Definitely don't do it yet. I took my youngest Grandson when he was 5 years old, he was sitting quietly when I suddenly heard him shout " there's another one ". He was pointing at the sky where he had been watching the planes go over. I know it's a temptation, but start with him having all the kit, pyjamas etc, sit with him and watch dvd's, and you will know when he's ready. Good luck.
  • Options
    Andy, took my two boys at 2 yrs 7 months and 2 yrs 11months. First went fantastically well second was a bloody nightmare, depends on the child.

Main thing, few distractions in a bag and well wrapped up.

You can only try and even if you only last 10 minutes your child still saw their first game before they were 2 which will be very cool if their in to footy when their older

Hope it goes well