Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bit of advice sought

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Les Berrys Tash[/cite]You can only try and even if you only last 10 minutes your child still saw their first game before they were 2 which will be very cool if their in to footy when their older

Not if he catches pneumonia in the process
  • Options
    Dave

The biggest risk to a child in your care is if you get peckish and eat it.

My eldest still thinks of you fiondly weeing in a bottle on a bus - you are a role model for a generation!!!!!

Love you xx
  • Options
    I think 5 is about the right age if they are not easily bored and then not every game - maybe one or two a season. Then start taking them to every game at about 7 or 8. Although if the team has turned a corner it might be easier- my son has been going through the bad times and going football (well Charlton to be specific) was becoming a chore for him rather than a pleasure - but he is becoming much more positive about things now! long may it continue. Be prepared for the I want to go to the toilet every 5 minutes- when they are too young and get bored.
  • Options
    too young imo. About four would be ok but even then they'd have the attention span of a knat and you'd miss half the game. Hopefuuly they'll have a lifetime of supporting Charlton so no need to expose them too early.
  • Options
    I took out 1st son when he was 4 days old to his 1st home game ( Madness i know) it was a saturday afternoon and Sunny , i wouldn't personally take a child to an evening game when its freezing cold.
  • Options
    Up until the ages of 5 /6 both of my lads were not really interested in the footie , i had to take a game boy or whatever it was to keep their attention ( but at least it meant i could go!) now they love it , preseason friendly in the Summer is always a good one to go to as people are a bit more relaxed anyway , if its in the west country maybe have a holiday down there as well , 2 birds with one stone as they say!
  • Options
    Yes, wait till his 4 and we're back in the Premiership.
  • Options
    The other thing is as they get older , be prepared to miss really important goals , as they'll want you to take them to the loo! 2-0 v Palace - , when Martin Pringle scored ? missed both goals due to taking the little one to the loo!
  • Options
    Too young Mate.
    I took my eldest when he was nearly 4 (I think), he remembers the day well.
    Wait a couple of years so he can enjoy his 'first'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Too young Mate.
    I took my eldest when he was nearly 4 (I think), he remembers the day well.
    Wait a couple of years so he can enjoy his 'first'.

That's a good point, Bibble.

Looking at it from the kiddy's point of view ....... he needs to be old enough to remember his first game properly.

That's what 1st games are all about, something that he'll carry with him for the rest of his life - and when he becomes a father, himself can tell his story to his own child.

And so are sown the seeds of supporting Charlton through the generations.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely his normal bed time is way before 9.30 when the match will finish, and that's without you having to get home.
    and it's going to be bloody cold tonight.
    and he's not going to rememebr it even if he's awake.

In fact i can't think of any reason why you would.
  • Options
    Don't do it andy, my little boy is just turned 3 and nowhere near ready yet, too short attention span. My 6 day old daughter will be going when we are in the prem. I would imagine 5-6 would be the right age looking at the comments on here.
  • Options
    my 7 year old still gets bored but my 10 year old has got the bug now - he's started looking at the tables and calculating what could happen - a sure sign that it's starting to take a grip.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]my 7 year old still gets bored but my 10 year old has got the bug now - he's started looking at the tables and calculating what could happen - a sure sign that it's starting to take a grip.

Your poor lad, Dan. What have you done?

A cross he will have to bear the whole of his life.
  • Options
    Quite nippy at the game tonight so I hope he was in his cot in the warm!