Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lowest FA Cup 'home' crowd since 1987, Lowest Valley FA Cup crowd since 1927

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
And i'm pretty sure the 1927 one was played during the day on a Wednesday !

10 Jan 1987

Charlton 1 (Stuart 8) Walsall 2 (Kelly 34, Shakespeare 73)
Att 4,541 (At Selhurst Park)

Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Shipley, Thompson, Shirtliff, Stuart, Peake, Melrose, Aizlewood, Walsh

Anyone at both the 1987 game at Selhurst AND the one tonight (Mrs AFKA just said she was) ?

Comments

• Options
    Was at the Selhurst one. A typically gutless cup performance from us!

We were in desperate need of a striker and it was clear after his performance that David Kelly was the one for us.....typically never happened.
  • Options
    Was at both
  • Options
    Was at both walsal and tonight.

Missed the 1927 game.

Lots of cupboard end riff raff in the east tonight. Two chavs sitting behind us putting their feet on the seats :- )
  • Options
    But tonight was the best of the night's FA cup crowds. Huddersfield and franchise got less. Franchise bottled out of meeting Wimbledon, and Brighton scraped through on pens against Woking.

So not a bad night all round.
  • Options
    Yep, was at both.

We played worse tonight than in 1987, but it wasn't as cold. So overall, a plus.
  • Options
    Was at both ... was really a babe in arms at the walsall match tho
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Was at both ... was really a babe in arms at the walsall match tho

let me guess.......4 years old??
  • Options
    I was at the Walsall game, I think that we went 1-0 up and the David Kelly - who was the next big thing from the lower leagues - scored twice to win the game for them.

That was a long journey home from Norwood Junction that night.....
  • Options
    Craig Shakespeare scored the second - as mentioned above. Remember reading headlines like, "Alas, poor Charlton" the next day. The scars are still there from that one - as are the frostbite injuries. Have only got 13 toes left now.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Craig Shakespeare scored the second - as mentioned above. Remember reading headlines like, "Alas, poor Charlton" the next day. The scars are still there from that one - as are the frostbite injuries. Have only got 13 toes left now.

Blimey, for all these years I was sure Kelly scored both their goals, he had a truly awesome long-at-the-back dyed-blonde hairstyle and left Walsall for Wet Spam where he was complete disaster and the fans ended up hating him for being a bit of a tart.
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Was at the Selhurst one. A typically gutless cup performance from us!

We were in desperate need of a striker and it was clear after his performance that David Kelly was the one for us.....typically never happened.

Lennie was interested in Kelly but Walsall were after a lot of money for him and he ended up going to Wet Spam for 600,000 at the end of the next season.

We ended up getting the hotter prospect of Andy Jones......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2010
    I was at the Sellout game. My God we were sh1te that day. I remember Amos scoring early on and thinking, in the naivete of youth, that we were about to thump them. Stupid me. We played absolute toss for the entire 80 minutes after the goal and Kelly roasted us all game long.

Sigh

EDIT - Oh, and that was the day I decided that Aizlewood was sh1t
  • Options
    Was at the Walsall debacle, but sadly missed last night's 'triumph' due to work.

ps Aizlewood was not sh1t IMO.
  • Options
    It's The F A Cup.

Was at both of course.

Sound As told me all about the 1927 game - he had to telegram in sick for work that day. Right tear up with the Merthy Town boys on the East Terrace at half time apparantly.
  • Options
    Well if Luton get through tonight then the 2nd round will be a bumper attendance. Can see them bringing 6000 or whatever we will give them spread accross the south / east stand.
  • Options
    At both games. Pitch was rock hard at the Walsall game if memory serves me right and bitterly cold as well.
  • Options
    Was at both. Can confirm that the 1987 one was bitterly cold, not helped by the fact we tried out the sainsburys end for the first time, which was more exposed than the Half Hour Wait stand. And, we were shite.

As Addickted said, major problem in 1927 - the current travel blanket firm were then known as the Charlton Yoof, and used to slide down the East side mud bank on tea trays to confront the visiting fans. Us North standers were completely innocent, mainly because it hadn't yet been built.
  • Options
    Was at both
  • Options
    sing it long and sing it loud i was there and im so proud!

my 9,001 crowd guess was well over the top then, but if we get luton it'll be more like it i feel, so i'll stay with that!
  • Options
    Was at Selhurst.
    Can concur re the weather - for some reason the coach from Dartford left a ridiculous time so was at ground for 1.30
    As so cold moved from sainsbury end to main stand for a change and lit cigarettes to keep our hands warm.

Not as cold as Notts County away, midweek, Halloween in about 89 or 90
  • Options
    Does any historian know whether i am right to assume the 1927 one was a replay played during the day in midweek ?

Just looking at the attendances of other home games around the time, the 3,500 there seemed around a third of a normal attendance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1927 was definitely a Wednesday (30 November) according to Colin Cameron book but not sure of time of kickoff time
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]1927 was definitely a Wednesday (30 November) according to Colin Cameron book but not sure of time of kickoff time

Would have had to be during the early afternoon in the days of pre-floodlights.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]1927 was definitely a Wednesday (30 November) according to Colin Cameron book but not sure of time of kickoff time

Would have had to be during the days of pre-floodlights.

good point!
  • Options
    do replays get less crowds on average?

so what killed the turnout? the fear of queuing? Not being able to reserve season tickets? Etc?
  • Options
    The Walsall match....coldest day for me at football (high up on the Holmesdale!) and that includes Oldham away in the snow. Rock hard pitch (you don't get many of those now...thankfully) and a woeful performance. One of the really bad days of watching Charlton.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The crowd were put off by the image of you watching from the comfort of a tartan blanket Mr Razil.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]The crowd were put off by the image of you watching from the comfort of a tartan blanket Mr Razil.

I did see that .... not a pretty sight
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I saw both of you, but couldn't be arsed to move due to cold, and don't have your numbers on my phone currently due to a database issue.

The blanket was of course primarily for my daughter..

you have to remember I am about ten years older than both of you ;) well Riscardo at least :P
  • Options
    Yep cos David Kelly was a star for West Ham in the top div. I remember Whammies getting into his car at the lights and demanding he leave the club quite quickly. Never was a top div striker, a very good second tier player.
  • Options
    edited November 2010