Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Forgotten Saviour - Lennie Lawrence

13»

Comments

• Options
    Met Lennie at the Valley the week after the 'last game' when we went along to take some photos. Really nice bloke, very philosophical about what was going on all around him. Said that if he could keep the team together he was hopeful of 'doing something' but didn't say exactly what! Not at all happy about the move (obviously) but it was out of his hands and he'd be doing the best he could. An unassuming legend.. (Actually think of him every time I do the mowing: his feline namesake is buried by a tree in the back garden, along with Flash and Paddy).
  • Options
    Just that he couldnt believe how quick we'd fallen down the leagues

I was just more in shock that he was in Plymouth.....dont get many Charlton legends down here, although i think he has ties with B. Rovers doesnt he?

Got a picture with him, the missues said i was most embarrassing but it made my night :)
  • Options
    Just that he couldnt believe how quick we'd fallen down the leagues

I was just more in shock that he was in Plymouth.....dont get many Charlton legends down here, although i think he has ties with B. Rovers doesnt he?

Got a picture with him, the missues said i was most embarrassing but it made my night :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lennie is Director of Football at Bristol Rovers. Legend
  • Options
    Lennie,s football career began with Plymouth under the watchful eye of another ex Charlton player one Malcom Allison.
    Yes he of Man City fame.Was right hand man to Allison at Plymouth in late 70,s i think.
  • Options
    Legend indeed and the fact that almost 30 years on he is still in the game and has managed over 1,000 games is testament to his ability and respect. All this despite not having a glittering playing career and not being a media darling.
  • Options
    Why did he perhaps not feel fully appreciated? I think it was all about the Valley thing. Once we'd actually gone to Selhurst he wanted us to get behind the team and forget about the Valley - because his team needed the support. And when the campaign achieved its goal he came across as being a bit indifferent to it, whereas Curbs to his credit always acknowledged.

The other thing was that he came across as quite an introvert, who retreated into his shell if he wasn't sure of what was going on. I remember talking to a Boro fan out here, when Lennie's spell there was going wrong. He said that Lennie seemed alone and frozen, the only person talking to him was the tea lady. I found that sad. I really wanted him to do well there at Boro and crack the big time because he'd earned the chance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Why did he perhaps not feel fully appreciated? I think it was all about the Valley thing. Once we'd actually gone to Selhurst he wanted us to get behind the team and forget about the Valley - because his team needed the support. And when the campaign achieved its goal he came across as being a bit indifferent to it, whereas Curbs to his credit always acknowledged.

The other thing was that he came across as quite an introvert, who retreated into his shell if he wasn't sure of what was going on. I remember talking to a Boro fan out here, when Lennie's spell there was going wrong. He said that Lennie seemed alone and frozen, the only person talking to him was the tea lady. I found that sad. I really wanted him to do well there at Boro and crack the big time because he'd earned the chance.

He did OK at Boro, he certainly didn't do a Pardew on them. They had a year in the Prem and had some great cup runs but he could not keep them up so moved on and was replaced by Robson.

Ironic that he kept Charlton up in the old Division One for four seasons with no cash but then could not do the same at Boro with much better resources.
  • Options
    I still remeber being at beckenham junction when I heard the news that lennie had left...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: somerton[/cite]Get Lennie back, he would sort this lot out at least whenhe managed the team he knew what he was doing.

The Big 3 -- Jimmy Seed, Lennie Lawrence and Curbs.

Unfortunately, were on a run of the Little 4 all in a row -- Dowie, Les, Pardont and Parky.
  • Options
    He was my first charlton manager, and the passion and desire he got form his squad res not been replicated by anyone since in my opinion. A true legend of the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a true legend but i have to say i wasn't 100% happy with the way he upped and left us for boro
  • Options
    A legend during the Selhurst years

"Lennie Lawrence's Red and White Army"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]a true legend but i have to say i wasn't 100% happy with the way he upped and left us for boro

I don't blame him, he'd given us some amazing times that we could never have anticipated 10 years before.
    Not only top flight Division One playing against the cream, but we even got to Wembley for the 1st time in 40 years.

Without Lennie the Legend, I'm pretty convinced there'd be no Charlton today. But after 9 years, he'd run out of steam here and needed to move on.

Sound familiar, Ooh Aah .......?

;o)
  • Options
    Good point Oggy. It's genuinely possible that without the top flight football he delivered, we'd have gone under. And to achieve it in those circumstances!

Off the pitch, he was as genuine as they come. He lent some of us the actual first team kit (whie third kit, red pinstripe) for a supporters "European Cup" tournament in Holland. He just said "make bloody sure they come back!". Generous, thoughtful, and, as suggested elsewhere, a little shy - remember how uneasy he was as we carted him round Brunton Park on our shoulders!
  • Options
    who has forgotten him ? LL is a legend end of.
  • Options
    I agree with Goonerhater. I don't think he is forgotten at all. I have a lot of respect for his astute signings and the way he managed to get us up to the top league. Legend - end of, as Goonerhater says - does he mean a foot?
  • Options
    I think it would be a good idea if the club/fans made a presentation to him when we play Bristol Rovers at The Valley.

I got to know Lennie a bit between 1988 and 1991, especially when reporting for the Mercury and while some felt he was a bit distant I had and have great respect for him. You got absolutely no crap from him.

We should have got a new interview with him for the centenary DVD. Unfortunately, he was just going on holiday when we needed to do it. I gather he felt we'd not given him enough weight in the production and with hindsight he was probably right.
  • Options
    Has the bar in Legends restaurant got a name? "Lennie's Bar" sounds good and would look good in lights..
  • Options
    "Lennie's Bar" .......I like the sound of that.

They want to give all the Stands a proper name, perhaps ...... ?
    Anyone got any good ideas for the South Stand, for example ?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    Anyone got any good ideas for the South Stand, for example ?

;o)

I suppose we can't call it the Dowie Stand as he wanted to be in the North.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MCSMCS
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]who has forgotten him ? LL is a legend end of.

Yup exactly how i wanted to put it. Never forget Sir Lennie.
  • Options
    Lennie was just fantastic for us, but his and Charlton's thunder was stolen by Wimbledon. We did great but the wombles did better and seemed to have a much better publicity machine, what with the 'Crazy gang' and all that Vinnie Jones tosh.
    For me it is arise Sir Lennie and I will cheer my head off, again, when he returns to the Valley. Hope we get him onto the middle of the pitch.
  • Options
    How about someone buying the oak, and renaming it "Lennie's Bar"?

A Charlton legend.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's definitely time we let Lennie know exactly how much he is revered and appreciated at Charlton
  • Options
    Really hope we put something up on the big screen of Lennies time (do we still use the screen for this?) and a big announcement is made when he comes out tommorrow so we can show our appreciation for a true legend.

Then get the 3 points Charlton.
  • Options
    agreed. it would show class.
  • Options
    Great great Charlton manager, it could be argued he was the best ever....and from a football perspective he was brilliant, very often engineering results from very very tricky situations....taake the 2-2 at Highbury that time as a typical example of his nous. If he appears tonight he will get a standing ovation from me at least.
  • Options
    Airman - any plans for any kind of presentation? (just read your comment on the previous page), would like to think something could be said/done just prior to Kick Off when he's out of the tunnel (assuming he sits in the dugout)
  • Options
    Supporters' Club made a presentation to him when he came back with Luton.