Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Denis Rommedahl

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Just been watching him for Denmark against the Czechs. Just been subbed on 70 minutes, but has been their most dangerous player throughout, `and won them a penalty, which Cech saved.

Apparently that was his 104th start for Denmark. Yes, One hundred and Four. Is this really the same player?

But watching it you can see exactly how they play to his strengths, he knows and they know when to start the run, he always beats the defender for pace on the outside then cuts across him onto the diagonal ball. And they also know that the end product will be a fast low cross, rather than one aimed for the big man in the air.

I'm afraid the evidence is that it was more us than him...

Comments

• When he was with us he was always much better for Denmark than us, did n't he stuff England in one game
  • Always said that...one of the few that Curbs screwed up on, as he made a big thing from the start about him needing to cover back and defend. Then later on, Curbs complained that he was disappointed that Rom was more worried about defending than attacking...you can't have it both ways, Mr C.

Also from meeting him and other players at the sponsors' dinner, it was clear that he didn't really fit in -Kins was making many a remark about Denis' fashion sense. Sadly, he just wasn't one of the lads at Charlton.
  • We never played to his strengths unfortunately as a winger he was too light weight (even worse than Wagstaff! for those in the North Upper) he could not defend and Curbs never played him up front or in a free role, just one of those things he probably enjoyed his time in London just not on the pitch.
  • [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    But watching it you can see exactly how they play to his strengths, he knows and they know when to start the run, he always beats the defender for pace on the outside then cuts across him onto the diagonal ball. And they also know that the end product will be a fast low cross, rather than one aimed for the big man in the air.

I used to argue this case years ago on threads on Charlton Life ........ but most people would just insist he was crap, end of.

IMO Curbs tried to make Rommers into a cog in the Charlton machine, which diminished his game - and perhaps his spirit too. But as you say, Prague ...... you've only got to see how Denmark intelligently play to the player's strengths, instead of forcing him to play a different game.

If a player can consistantly do it for his country on the international stage against the best players, why did we miss the trick?

Such a shame we didn't get the best out of him.
  • I'll always treasure the goals he got at Palace, Pompey, Boro and Newcastle.
    Good on him, I say
  • Rommedahl is not a winger in the English style, he's a wide-attacker who needs to play right up on the full-back, we tried to play him in a 4-4-2 and it never worked.

He was at his best in that 4-2-3-1 formation behind Benty, but once we abandoned that in 2005/6 after a few bad results and went back to 4-4-2 then it was all over for Rommedahl.
  • Agree with all the above. Such a missed opportunity.

And yes, those recents quotes from Curbs were ironic, as defending and tracking back was *exactly* what he was asked to do at the time.

The only manager who seemed to have a clue about what sort of player he was, or at least try and use him properly was Dowie ffs!

But yes will cherish those goals, but what an utter, utter waste to have him, Benty, Smertin and Murphy in a premiership squad and end up putting 10 men behind the ball every game (apart from the first few in the formation mentioned by Ormiston).
  • I was a big Denis fan and always thought that we should have left him up - if only to pin the opposition defence back, but to be fair he was pretty poor under four managers and often didn't take his chances. That goal (and performance) at Boro was the real high point for me.
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]to be fair he was pretty poor under four managers and often didn't take his chances

Yet, he has been rarely poor for Denmark and often takes his chances!
    20 goals in 100 appearances at international level is a pretty decent return for the basically 'goal assist' role he plays.

Playing in Holland, he won 4 Eredivisie championships with PSV, as well as 5 times the Johan Cruijff Shield.
    So even with top clubs in Dutch domestic football he was hugely effective.

I believe the problem was of course, that at Charlton Dennis was expected to compress his game to fit a defensive system, rather than allow him the scope to terrorise defences.

So it does appear, at Charlton he was rarely used right.

In today's Charlton team, Reidy could probably very effectively play the same role that Rommers plays for Denmark.
    It's just a thought, especially away from home.
  • Ran like a train but always forgot to take the ball with him!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Rommedahl is not a winger in the English style, he's a wide-attacker who needs to play right up on the full-back, we tried to play him in a 4-4-2 and it never worked.

Yes exactly. Great observation. What I wanted to say but had not quite worked out for myself :-)
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]In today's Charlton team, Reidy could probably very effectively play the same role that Rommers plays for Denmark.

The only problem is that we have an English manager, who, like Curbs, may not quite get that system...
  • I always liked him. I can't remember him ever missing a shooting chance either and think that he ought to have been tried as an out and out striker, maybe with Bartlett. Definitely more us than him IMO.
  • [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Just been watching him for Denmark against the Czechs. Just been subbed on 70 minutes, but has been their most dangerous player throughout, `and won them a penalty, which Cech saved.

Apparently that was his 104th start for Denmark. Yes, One hundred and Four. Is this really the same player?

I think it was more him - his lack of physicality and desire to get stuck in was the problem. At a team like Charlton you have to have to be aware that you aren't going to see that much of the ball and that you have to put a shift in for and on behalf of the team to get it back. Rommedahl might have looked good at a better team where he wouldn't be expected to track back and tackle and scrap hard, or in international football where a player has more time and teams are more defensively minded. At Charlton we highlighted his weaknesses and rarely exploited his strengths.
  • The enigma that is Denis.......

I think it is fair to say that in the past I have given the guy a lot of criticism........ he always lacked a bit of the 'grit' that his comic counter part Dennis the menace had!.

As Curbs once remarked on sky tv " Yes Denis can play a great half....... never too sure what half of the game that it is though" or words very similar.

I got the impresson that he too was frustrated by his end product. Talented no doubt. Sorry but the passage of time has done little to convince me otherwise.

I guess I am just a bitter, frustrated fan, that hates to see a talented player 'appear to be wasting his ability'.......

I am sure Denis lies awake at night worried about my comments though!
  • Rommedahl was my favourite player when he was here. Such a great talent that was wasted and has got a brilliant record and rave reviews from everywhere else he has been. Dutch football really does suit him more than English as they all play the same way and he is used to it.

With Dennis, he always needs someone in midfield who can pick a pass and that way he links up well with the rest of the team, his pace being a main factor to that. I always remember Rommedahl and Danny Murphy having a great relationship on and off the field as Murphy can always pick a pass. Great talent that just didn't work out here unfortunately for him and for us.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Just been watching him for Denmark against the Czechs. Just been subbed on 70 minutes, but has been their most dangerous player throughout, `and won them a penalty, which Cech saved.

I think it was more him - his lack of physicality and desire to get stuck in was the problem. .

This for me. Quick as a whippet and a nightmare for full backs but very frustrating. Perhaps he could have been accomodated to suit his game but it is a team game and tactics based on playing to one players strengths often don't work without Messi or Maradona on your teamsheet.

No excuse as a well paid professional grown man for turning your back from challenges or flinching from the ball.

Still he will always be a hero for brightening up that cold afternoon at Selhurst and pleased to see him doing well .
  • A good player and a bad signing for Curbishley. He continues to prove this. Shame, but an exception and a relatively cheap error all thing considered.
  • Superb in group matches, superb in qualifying..... Oh no it's the knock out stage against organised teams and he's utter shite!

Rommedahl was a factor at least. Perfect for every formation that wasn't 4-4-2; might have worked better with Parker making space for him. Having said that when we did play 4-5-1, he often wasn't a factor. Most premiership defences are better than no-hope group stage teams in the World Cup. If he was that great why did no team for France, Spain, Italy or Germany go near him? Most other teams apart form Allardyce at Bolton, who would have used him properly, would have got rid after a season.
  • [cite]Posted By: HarryHutchens[/cite]I always liked him. I can't remember him ever missing a shooting chance either and think that he ought to have been tried as an out and out striker, maybe with Bartlett. Definitely more us than him IMO.

I always thought that. If you recall, Thierry Henry started out as a wide player who had pace but was never world-class in that position, then Wenger (i think, but might be wrong) converted him into a striker and he ended up a top world beating striker. Always found it a strange signing for curbs to make. Def a round peg in a square hole. When we signed him i assumed that curbs was looking at changing things around to a system that would suit him but that wasn't to be. And i found it unfair when sopprters would moan about him and say he's crap. It was just a wrong move for all parties concerned.
  • As ColinTat says, Rommers was abit of a one trick pony and most Premiership defences were too wise to fall for that trick.

That said, I'm sure there was more to be got from him that Curbs did - it was one of Sir Alan's weaknesses that he rarely really got the best out of skillful but enigmatic wingers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dennis In the Last Minute ...

Was there to see it during an overseas visit. And I bought the commemorative t-shirt, too.

Great memory.

Rommadahl had speed to burn and could run at defenses if given a little space. Didn't like to track back, and Curbs wouldn't have that even if he was a threat going forward.
  • [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]...what an utter, utter waste to have him, Benty, Smertin and Murphy in a premiership squad and end up putting 10 men behind the ball every game (apart from the first few in the formation mentioned by Ormiston).
    As I remember it, the Murphy-Smertin combination was absolutely fantastic. Maybe I've got a case of selective memory, but I can't remember that pairing ever just sitting behind the ball. What brought that to an end was allowing Smertin to go back to Mrs Smertin [pic please] in Russia. I was always amazed that there wasn't an outcry about how easily we let him go. Was there some contractual reason that we couldn't keep hold of him?
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]What brought that to an end was allowing Smertin to go back to Mrs Smertin [pic please] in Russia. I was always amazed that there wasn't an outcry about how easily we let him go. Was there some contractual reason that we couldn't keep hold of him?

Yeah .......Chelsea. They owned the contract!

But I feel we didn't fight too hard to keep him. By then (January) we were in one hell of a slump, Curbs' tactics were all about stopping the other team playing. and Smertin was often on the bench and playing a bit part in the side..

Murphy was sold, everything had changed and he was no doubt costing us money.
  • Scored today for Denmark in their 1-1 draw against Norway. I believe it was 108th cap.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Scored today for Denmark in their 1-1 draw against Norway. I believe it was 108th cap.

The goal was a bit special too.....

Rommedahl Goal
  • Just a bit!
  • See. I always knew he was good...
  • his best game for us was against the Goonershit he ran Cashley Cole all over the show. Cashley gets booked in first half and i think"this is the way forward we have em now" only for Curbs to sub DR !!!!!!

we never ever used him to HIS strengths.Even keepng him on half way line at corners would have put the frighteners on some teams and taken at least two players away that threatened us. We never did it.

The year he was signed Terry Venables writing in a Sunday paper was asked "what new players to the Prem you looking forward to seeing?" one he said was DR.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite].Even keepng him on half way line at corners would have put the frighteners on some teams and taken at least two players away that threatened us.

That used to dive me crackers too, it's not like he was any use defending the corner was it so why not leave him up as an outlet for us???
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite].Even keepng him on half way line at corners would have put the frighteners on some teams and taken at least two players away that threatened us.[/quote]

That used to dive me crackers too, it's not like he was any use defending the corner was it so why not leave him up as an outlet for us???[/quote]

I remember one of his last games for CAFC at home, he got a big clap and cheer from many in the North Stand for winning a header, one of the rarest sights in South East London at the time!