Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Denis Rommedahl

2»

Comments

• i thought he was very good in the world cup, one of those players id always happily have on a squad, great worker
  • I remember he nearly scored an outrageous similar goal for us from a corner at home to pompey, i think at the start of Dowie's reign, a corner was headed out to him and he caught it plum in front of the jimmy seed, i was right behind it in the NW corner and it literally scraped the outside of the post.

Personally I always liked him even though he got loads of stick, as people have said above I thought he had potential to be excellent for us which he showed in flashes (remember him surging past several players against Villa in Pards 2nd game in charge and getting chopped down last man to get somebody (Barry??) sent off), but he was never going to succeed with us because the sort of side that Curbs had - which I'm not criticising as it was excellent for us - preferred discipline and solidity and generally midfielders who could offer something defensively as well, even on the wing. Hence the likes of Graham Stuart and Holland played out wide, and even more traditional wingers like Robbo and Newton who Curbs liked were able to offer something defensively. Rommedahl was too much of a luxury for us under Curbs even with the likes of Kishishev and Holland in the middle. Rommedahl was excellent at the start of that season when we won 6 of our first seven games with 4-5-1 and him and Thomas wide, but as soon we started topple Curbs instinct - probably rightly as it stopped the freefall - was to go back to safer options and sacrifice those sort of players.

And of course Palace. Potentially my favourite ever goal. Remember meeting my Palace mate in the pub after and his bitter description of looking across to the Arthur Waite from his seat at the end of the Holmesdale Lower and seeing me and my brother going absolutely berserk bouncing up and down on the staircase. Chris Powell in the tv box... I was absolutely buzzing for days.
  • Rommedahl scored a cracking goal from outside the area for us, away at Newcastle (1-1 draw).
  • Remember going to watch Ajax V PSV. PSV destroyed Ajax 4-2 and Rommedahl had a blinder. Well chuffed when we signed him but didn't live up to his talent.