Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs. Yeovil (20/11/10) - Pre-Match Preview, Poll, Views and News

WSSWSS
edited November 2010 in General Charlton
At the end of November back in 2009 Charlton were sitting pretty in the automatic spots six points behind Leeds (who had a game in hand), fast forward 355 days or so and we are once again in second place, six points behind Brighton. Even the staunchest member of the RTB could not have thought we would win the past five games on the trot, amassing 13 goals and in turn managing to reinact the whole catalogue of Fifa 11 celebrations.

That being said our home form and performances (in league and cup) have been nothing to shout about. We have scored a miserly 7 goals at home with nothing better than a 1-0 victory. Of course all will say a win is a win but it would be nice for everyone concerned if we could turn on the style at the goal deprived Valley.

Saturday’s opponents Yeovil are currently sitting second bottom of the (past eight games) form table – just above Walsall. Their two maximum hauls away from home have come in the form of 1-0’s against Rochdale and the previously mentioned Walsall. It would be typical Charlton though if Yeovil managed to notch up another away win wouldn’t it?

Our home victories against MK Dons, Sheffield Wednesday (and even Barnet in the cup on Tuesday) have been dogged, hard fought victories showing a resilience that has been absent in recent seasons but I think the fans and players would like a little bit more breathing space. Of course opponents are going to come to The Valley and shut up shop more often than not, but the players on the pitch and Parky on the training ground need to have the desire and tactical nous to break them down and go for the jugular from the off.

The only decision with regards to the back 5 that needs to be made is whether the recently outstanding Robbie Elliot will wear pink or yellow – everyone has stepped up their game in defence recently and should be commended.

In midfield, unless Waggy’s injury is worse than expected we can expect the same across the middle of the park. Who would’ve thought a few weeks ago that when fit, Kyel Reid would not be going straight back into the team?

Benson will start upfront hoping to replicate recent away goalscoring form at home while everyone (including himself) will be hoping Loanee Lee can go on a consistent run of good form, that if happens, will make him one of the most dangerous players in the whole division.

Can we turn on the style and lift the crowd and continue this fantastic run? Maybe we’ll achieve 50% of that. 1-0. Again.

Comments

• Got a horrible feeling this could be a draw. We done all the hard work over the previous weeks turning over teams that we wouldn't of predicted then we come up a team at the bottom at home and we struggle, which would be typical. Would be great to get a comfortable win by a couple of goals and keep momentum going but Yeovil are going to park the bus and be as negative as possible.

I will predict a win as we should do but got a funny feeling about this one!
  • 2 zip.
  • i would try to pretend like others will that this will be a tough test or something silly like that, but i can't though. there is just no evidence anywhere that yeovil would make a half decent pub side. all our players need, is a bit of motivation to be able to steam roller these type of sides.

we've managed just 7 goals in our thrillers so far at home so yeovil will come for the draw then and hope that some miracle can happen that they nick a goal. it won't happen though for them as they just have absolutely no quality at all.

3-0 at a minimum. we have a new confidence and yeovil don't have a -13 goal difference for nothing
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i would try to pretend like others will that this will be a tough test or something silly like that, but i can't though. there is just no evidence anywhere that yeovil would make a half decent pub side. all our players need, is a bit of motivation to be able to steam roller these type of sides.

we've managed just 7 goals in our thrillers so far at home so yeovil will come for the draw then and hope that some miracle can happen that they nick a goal. it won't happen though for them as they just have absolutely no quality at all.

3-0 at a minimum. we have a new confidence and yeovil don't have a -13 goal difference for nothing

Great post and i really agree. I actually do not feel any lucky win coming from Yeovil at all on Saturday. The Charlton players know that a bad result here will knock the confidence and maybe knock it for a few games (which would be terrible, considering all the hard work and the great results we have seen recently)

Going got a comfy 3-0....Can only see Yeovil just about getting a sniff at all once or tiwce at most.
  • After the Brighton game I was predicting a defeat every time, even if I didn't really believe we would lose. Even without Anyinsah, we surely can't lose on Saturday.

However now that most of us will be confident of a win, that's exactly why we'll lose (well, more likely draw)
  • Really good piece WSS.

I've sadly gone for a draw. I susect a couple of injuries will mean we will have to tinker with the formation, and off the back of pretty relentless weekend / midweek programme, we'll struggle to piece it together effectively going forwards.

A very frustrating 0-0 this one, similar to the Oldham home game last season when they were struggling.
  • i think we'll be alright... 3-0 haddocks!
  • edited November 2010
    To guarantee that we won't win 1-0 I'm going to have a couple of quid before the game on that scoreline. Still think we'll win 2-1 and Elliott will be in pink.
  • Is Fry suspended?

Martin in anything like his peterboro form will terrify the glovers but benson up front and jackson wide left have been key ingrediants to recent success.

Yeovil or any other team in this league are not pub teams. We can only beat one team on saturday and that is the one we are playing and we need to be fully focused and on our game to do that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is Joe Anyinsah likely to be fit ?

His commitment has been first class.
  • I think Fry is only on 4 at the moment.
  • I think we will win, but not as comfortably as some expect.....we seem to put ourselves under pressure at home and grind out wins, where away we seem to play with more freedom. This of course is down, as we all suspect, to how teams visiting the Valley set themselves up not to lose and try to 'nick' something on the break. This is now down to Parky, the coaching team and the players to work on and give the home crowd a really good 'thumping' victory, but as much as I would like to predict this I think the best we can hope for is 2-0, but sadly I suspect another 1-0 grinder. Still I'll be listening and posting on here for those that, like me, cant get to the game.
  • I'm a fan of Dean Bowditch, who i think would be playing for a much better side if it weren't for injuries. Hopefully, he will be injured, which leave them pretty toothless.

1 nil again, they all count!
  • Well, I think we'll return to the Valley fired up for the league campaign:

4-1 win for Charlton.

There were a lot of yellows given to our players on Tuesday - is anybody suspended as a result?
  • It's all been going SO well recently that there is only one possible outcome to this game........ so Yeovil to win 1-0!

Shades of that home game against Swindon when we had won a lot of games on the trot and then took on bottom of the table Swindon. Deano threw the ball into the back of the net and we lost 1-0. Football is just so predictable in its unpredictableness.
  • 2-1 ..40 mins of dominance across the 90 and ending with a nervy finish...

Keep on keeping on....
  • Comfortable stroll in the park against a park side ..... Let's not try and big anything up about this league and start apologising for something that won't happen ...
    2-0 to us on our relentless march to a top 4 finishing spot ..... Will specify the finishing position around march time
  • Comfortable stroll in the park against a park side ..... Let's not try and big anything up about this league and start apologising for something that won't happen ...
    2-0 to us on our relentless march to a top 4 finishing spot ..... Will specify the finishing position around march time
  • Comortable 2-0 win for the Addicks, with some customary boos at half time as we won't be 4-0 up.
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]Football is just so predictable in its unpredictableness.

I think that might even top "Team X is consistently inconsistent".
  • Sponsored links:

• I've gone for a win but as the Lass & I will be there for our first home match of the season I just have that feeling that it will be all in vain !
  • a nervy draw...followed by mass hysteria on here !
  • Think this 1 is going to be one of those where they park the bus in front of goal & we just cant find a way through. They will snap our hands off for a point & think they may well get it. We just need to be patient
  • Our form record seems to be better against teams in the top half of the division than against teams in the lower half.

Yeovil need the points and I expect them to park the bus and it could take a bit of breaking them down and patience, but we should do it.

Team:
    Semedo back, Martin to start so something like 4-4-1-1.
  • 1 or 2-0 Charlton, Yeovil set up to defend/frustrate but a bit of Martin Magic to make the difference.
  • This game is in our own hands. If the midfield turns up we should do enough to win as, injuries permitting, we have a number of players capable of scoring with a decent service.

However if the midfield plays as it did against Barnet we will be lucky to draw which is, sadly, my prediction as our booboys will get on the players' backs if we haven't scored in the first twenty minutes or so.
  • [cite]Posted By: Starinnaddick[/cite]Is Joe Anyinsah likely to be fit ?

out for 6 weeks at least with injury.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Starinnaddick[/cite]Is Joe Anyinsah likely to be fit ?

out for 6 weeks at least with injury.
    SLP said 6 weeks, then Parky said they were still waiting to find out.

Don't think there's been any news since?
  • Very glad to hear Fry is playing as that means Jackson can play LM

With Semedo and Martin back we should be a lot stronger and with Benson starting much more of a threat.

2 - 0 but it will take a long time to break them down.
  • Our well deserved victories have been against teams that don't sit back which suits out counter attacking style. If yeovil put 11 behind the ball we will then have to rely on luck to gain a one goal advantage. But we are charlton and banana skins R Us. I'm going for a 0-1 defeat boo!