Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I know we won but.......

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Why do we end up switching off against teams like Yeovil who were near the bottom of the league and we end up making it very difficult for ourselves.

If we are going to play well against teams like Sheffield Wednesday and Peterbrough surely we should try and put in a decent performance against Yeovil.

It is not just the Yeovil game, last season we did drop so many points where we were very scrappy and that was our downful from last season.

Sorry to sound negative especially after 5 wins on the bounce and second in the league but we need to try and be more ruthless against teams like Yeovil as we do against teams who are around us. I am not saying we should win by 4 as Parky quoted but put in a reasonable performance where we can leave the ground and say "We deserved that" but today I felt relieved other than happy that we won today.

Comments

• Options
    Its the nature of this league, everyone is very evenly matched. Frankly i can't believe you are finding something to moan about after the form we've been on
  • Options
    We won
    when the team was so unblanced with no right sided midfielder, with reid out there who worked hard but not his position
    dont worry il think you will be more happy when we put 7or 8 past bristol rovers
  • Options
    In all honest i think its cafc thing, always has been always will be i think.

Thing is we would normally lose 3-2 not win 3-2.

2 pts closer to brighton, 6pts from 12th place, wins a win i suppose, id have taken that before ko regardless of performance.
  • Options
    We didn't end up switching off.

We ended the game stronger than we started it but I take your point that we will need to play a lot better than today to go up.

Also have to give credit to yeovil who were a lot more than the pub side that some tried to dismiss them as.

Good news is we know we can play a lot better than today
  • Options
    Anyinsah and Wagstaff could have made a big difference IMO.

Neither Reid or Jackson were comfortable on the right.

Martin had his moments but Anyinsah is a lot stronger, can hold up the ball, don't underestimate the difference that can make. It helps the midfield get forward and he has a good partnership with Benson. Breacker has said he could be back for Tuesday.

We need to play better and as Henry said we know we can.
  • Options
    I think it's a case of Yeovil went for it and we (Gary Doherty mainly) let them.
  • Options
    We certainly didn't switch off. We battled and got the win. The problem was that there were too many defenders off form.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I will take back what I said about us switching off maybe I was slightly over critical.

I just feel frustrated that we could not put in a performance against Yeovil like what we did against the so called bigger league one teams that are near us. There games we have already dropped points as I feel we have taken advantage over them by not playing well as we could. In future games this season we may use the same performance against teams like Walsall at home and luck won't be on our side and we will get a draw.

As I said, I don't expect us to have won 4-0 today but I just need us to be more ruthless. I don't think Yeovil were the worst side we have seen at home but at the same time I did feel they were making silly error's at crucial times.
  • Options
    We fought well. We worked hard. We deserved to win. It was one of those scrapping for a victory game -wasn't helped by a poor referee neither. If we were Man U - you'd be saying 'typical Man U, scrapping for the points, last minute winner, they always do it, no doubt about it, that's why they're top of the league.' But we ain't, we're the Addicks. Brilliant today. One of those games when you crap yourself but somehow get the win - and let's face it, we've been short of that luck these last five years. No we earned it. We keep on earning it. Parky earned it.

Just thank God we're not Wolves, Wigan or West Ham. Particularly Wolves. Enjoy it!!

Well that's what I think.
  • Options
    I don't think it was switching off as much as a team playing well and having got used to a style/formation having to change that familiar pattern. We still won so it's no big deal as far as I'm concerned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A scrappy game yet we won despite not playing well.

Just be happy we have a team who fights until the last minute and winning games
  • Options
    It's the CAFC way, I suppose. They like to make matches exciting for us.

I'm just glad that after the Dailly dismissal, when I thought that we would now have to be happy just to get a point, we went on the offensive and got the three points - this has been something that hasn't happened enough in recent times when we have been 'comfortable' and assuming we would pocket the three points only to end up having to be happy with just the one come the final whistle.

In the end we got the win so i'm very pleased with that...and after all it's the only thing that really matters!
  • Options
    we were always going to put 3 past them, just surprised that we let them have 2
  • Options
    First time this season we've scored 3 at home. That's good.

We were particularly strong after going down to 10 men - and went for 3 points. That's good too.

There's a resolve in the side, a tougher mentality which actually earned us the 3 points. That's why we won.
  • Options
    If this was last season, with Bailey, Sam, Burton, Mooney, Borrowdale etc, we would have lost this match. Our team is just as strong this season in terms of quality, but has 10 times the amount of resolve and steely determination.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]If this was last season, with Bailey, Sam, Burton, Mooney, Borrowdale etc, we would have lost this match. Our team is just as strong this season in terms of quality, but has 10 times the amount of resolve and steely determination.

We seem to have, at the moment, a blend of steel and flair which has been missing for a long time
  • Options
    If we are to win promotion it doesn't mean we're going to roll teams over every game.

Even the Championship winning team of 2000 (when we were dominant) had it's nervy moments - was it Tranmere at home where we were 2-0 down at half time and won 3-2?
  • Options
    The mark of a good team is play badly/scrappily and still find a way to win. There'll be times when we play well and draw and lose so these things balance out in time.
  • Options
    The pub team turned up to their cup final and raised their game, we didn't really get out of 1st gear and with a numerical disadvantage for a time still managed to get a winner.
    We have a steelier look about us this year and aren't such a soft touch, long may it continue
    We'll play better and lose but there isn't much in this league if anything to be afraid of
    Let's not big up these other sides who will be sloshing around the bottom of this league and rovers are next to be put to the sword
  • Options
    edited November 2010
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe in previous seasons we would have drawn or even lost, some days you just scrap for a result and yesterday was one such a game. Henry's point regarding Yeovil was a good one- they were a decent side and were a real handful at times, I think if they play like they did yesterday for the majority of the season they will finish in a comfortable position.
  • Options
    what im most concerned about is dailey now being on a 4 match ban, as a captain i think we need him week in week out, so i dont really know whats going to happen in these next 4 fixtures, lets just mirically hope 4 more wins
  • Options
    Judging by Yeovils performance yesterday and the brief comments from Yeovil fans in the away section of the programme, they are in a bit of a false position. They certainly can create chances and they have some very decent L1 players (Gavin Williams, Bowditch and Virgo). They will cause many teams problems this year both at home and away and no team is guaranteed 3 points off them.

Therefore I think we should be delighted to have taken the three points in a game where we were below par, without two influential players and a in a game where aside from the goals (one a dubious pen)- we did not really test their keeper.

Do not buy the whole- last season we would have lost that as there were a few similar games last season when we struggled to get out of first gear and won (Southend at home springs to mind around this time of year), however it is always good to win without playing well and yesterday keeps us ticking over very nicely. Hope to see Waggy and Anyinsah back for tuesday.
  • Options
    Heads up - I think we're on 5 Live in a minute. Don't shoot me if we're not!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Petefromcornwall[/cite]Heads up - I think we're on 5 Live in a minute. Don't shoot me if we're not!

and were we?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Somebody shot him.
  • Options
    Much as I hate to say it, frankly it doesn't matter how unattractive our style is this season it's all about getting the points. The only thing that matters is to go back to the Championship, for a hundred and one reasons. After the Brighton game we have enjoyed a complete turnaround, and ugly or not if we retain this form we can top this league. We are playing with a spirit, and we need to get behind the team big time. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    I don't think that we switched off as such - Yeovil were very good on the day and went for it (twice).

A freak own goal got them back in the match.

What about Brighton? Did they switch off then? Sometimes you have to give the other team credit instead of blaming your own team!

And, WE WON. We are winning pretty and winning ugly at the moment. You know Man Utd and Chelsea don't win pretty every week, I don't hear their fans complaining!
  • Options
    Let’s get our recent run of form into perspective. Since the Brighton game we have had impressive wins against Swindon and Peterborough but none of the other wins have been accompanied by decent performances. While applauding 8 games unbeaten that’s only two good showings, both away & playing mainly on the break.

We still have a tendency to hoof the ball forward with the main culprits being Doherty and Francis, and these two look the least secure defensively. There seems to be widespread acknowledgement that these two are poor except from the bench. Reid was ineffective on the right but those on the pitch were not re-shuffled until minutes before he was subbed, with an obvious permutation was to try him off Benson with Martin out right.

The management and players may think they have turned a corner, but I see few signs in terms of moving up and down as a unit that we have “gelled”. Let’s hope four very winnable league games before Xmas produce 12 points.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]Let’s get our recent run of form into perspective. Since the Brighton game we have had impressive wins against Swindon and Peterborough but none of the other wins have been accompanied by decent performances. While applauding 8 games unbeaten that’s only two good showings, both away & playing mainly on the break.

We still have a tendency to hoof the ball forward with the main culprits being Doherty and Francis, and these two look the least secure defensively. There seems to be widespread acknowledgement that these two are poor except from the bench. Reid was ineffective on the right but those on the pitch were not re-shuffled until minutes before he was subbed, with an obvious permutation was to try him off Benson with Martin out right.

The management and players may think they have turned a corner, but I see few signs in terms of moving up and down as a unit that we have “gelled”. Let’s hope four very winnable league games before Xmas produce 12 points.

Seriously? Did you not go to Sheff Wed game? What rubbish.