Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bristol Rovers 23.11.10 Pre-match views, news and poll

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
We go into yet another game with the prospect of making it six league wins on the bounce, a sequence not achieved since the dim and distant past known as "The Beginning of Last Season". Add the three cup games and it is now eight unbeaten.

Comparisons will be inevitable, regardless of the result v Rovers, but so much has changed in term of personnel and relative strength of the division you have to question the validity of any such.

One thing we can say it that while last time the defeated sides were dismissed as bottom feeders this time we have been, until Saturday, playing and beating other play-off contenders.

But success has only ramped up the demands of some fans. Where as a gutsy, fighting display and a win would have been enough we now seem to expect total domination, silky football and a three or four victory margin before any credit can be given.

We have been scoring goals (four, three, one, five and three during the run) but this can make it easy to overlook how the defence has been doing. The number of clean sheets is credit to them but man of the match performances from Robbie Elliot suggest that other teams are being allowed to work our keeper more than is good for us.

Rovers visit after what must be a morale boosting draw at leaders Brighton. Rovers on the up or Albion on the slide? Either way we have seen enough results across this division already to show that unless we turn up and are willing to graft we can and will be denied a win.

Team news will depend on the fitness of Wagstaff and Anyinsah. Scott's return seems certain if he is fit as Kyel Ried was less than impressive on the right v Yeovil and Johnny Jackson is very unlikely to be moved from wide left. We missed Waggy's direct running and combative tracking back, none more so than Simon Francis.

Smokin' Joe could be back but given his injuries and the availability of Benson and Martin a place on the bench might be the best he can hope for. Last season Akpo came off the bench late v Rovers to terrify their back four and score in a 4 - 2 win. One of Joe or Sodje would be enough to scare most defenders at this level but both!

With Dailly suspended, Fortune is the ready made stand in. Jon looked assured on Saturday and a run of games for him and a rest for the ageing skipper may prove a blessing in disguise with so many games still to play.

Rovers appear to be short of defenders due to injuries and suspensions which may give defensive midfielder Dominic Blizzard a rare start. If so the man who effectively ended Grant Basey's season, and his Charlton career, without so much as an apology or good will message can hopefully expect a warm welcome.

Upfront the Pirates have Hughes, Hoskins and Kuffour, goalscoring forwards to be wary of but they also concede goals a plenty, especially away from home.

My prediction is a tired Charlton finally overcoming Rovers 3 - 1.

Comments

• Options
    It pains me to put a Bristol win but it is becoming a superstion now- I didn't do it for the Barnet away game and we only drew!!!!Whilst I have to predict a Charlton defeat, I can write positive things (hasn't affected the outcome before) so expect a better game for us than Saturday if anyinsah is back.
  • Options
    I'd like to think we have enough to see off The Pirates in all honesty but I'd much rather a classy 1-0 win than a nervy 3-2.

The crowd really do have a part to play in our team this season. We've seen all too evidently recently that our away form has improved when there is less anxiety and stress upon the team and, sadly, it appears it is the fans who are applying the stress.

Even at the weekend, in the midst of a great run of wins, I heard boos when it was 2-2 and this really has to stop. It doesn't help anyone.

We need to be realistic and appreciate that even now we are still a big scalp in this division and teams will come to us and see it as their cup final. Yeovil played their part in an entertaining game on Saturday and I don't envisage Brizzle being anywhere near as expansive. Trollopes men will not want a repeat of last seasons thumping so will probably be very tight and try to get us to break them down

If we can get an early goal it will open the game up nicely but we really need to be sure we don't start the stupid booing if it's all square after 20 mins.

I'm plumping for a tight, taut and nervy 2-1
    Benno and Doherty
  • Options
    simple routine victory for us , bristol used up all their luck on saturday
    2-0
  • Options
    Voted Bristol Rovers win for superstitious reasons like Muttley did.

Wagstaff or Anyinsah back would be a boost, both even better.
  • Options
    More goals for and against. 4-2 again.
  • Options
    Sooner or later we have to turn a team over at The Valley and although Rovers have a descent away record i fancy Benson to Get on the score sheet in a 4-1 win.
  • Options
    I fancy a convincing win on Tuesday night after the battling display on Saturday, in what I thought was an entertaining game in which Yeovil more than played their part.

Agree about the booing/negativity STILL going on after the run we are on, it is absolutely pathetic.

If the prat behind me carries on on Tuesday night I'm gonna have to enlighten him!

Hope Wagstaff is fit because (again) I thought Reid unbalanced the team - in particular Francis was exposed too often where Waggy normally helps out a lot.

3-0 to Charlton (Jackson/Racon again!! and Benson)
  • Options
    I am slightly worried about this game, but still think we will win. 2-1 Charlton. And YES the booing has to stop! When it went 2-2 on Saturday, the players went for the win and you could see the passion. Don't know it anybody realised but boy oh boy it was a loud Valley when that 3rd goal went in. Lets just make it that loud from start to finish, its really not that hard!
  • Options
    Hoping for another win, but they will have to 'step-up' a gear from Saturdays performance. If Joe is fit I would play him and Waggy (also if available) and bring in Forch if Dailly is suspended. So basically back to the team that started against Peterborough if possible.
    I predict a close game though with the Addicks coming out 2-1 victors.

As a footnote - I'm not at work tomorrow night therefore I will be able to provide match updates on here for those that cant get to the match or hear it on radio/player.
  • Options
    Since I started voting for a Charlton win we're unbeaten so gone for it again.

Think we actually play better when teams come to attack us rather than sitting back. Win 2-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not got a good feeling about this one, Rovers organised well at set pieces, a frustrating performance and a loss. 1-2

Hoping for a solid 4-0 tonking though.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just hope we can keep the momentum going and that the injuries are not too bad.

I keep saying it but our prospects depend on which of our midfields turns up. If Racon and Semedo play then we will give anybody in this league a game and win more often than not. If they don't turn up then the second half of the Brighton game could happen.

I've been predicting draws lately so will continue the superstition!
  • Options
    Ridiculous predictions have been my superstitious whatdyacall it so I'll say 6-1 charlton
  • Options
    I've gone for a win, as is usual for me. I think we're a bit vulnerable at free kicks in dangerous areas, so I'm not expecting a clean sheet, given that they've got a few players who should be able to take a good free kick.

3-2 again?
  • Options
    If Blizzard plays it's going to have a nasty edge atmosphere wise.
  • Options
    Bristol have quite a few injury problems and are hoping we don't have a bully in midfield as they think they will be very weak in this area. Oh dear. Oh dear, Jose must be rubbing his hands together.
  • Options
    We looked unbalanced with Reidy on the wing. If starting 11 the same as Saturday then me thinks a defeat is looming.
  • Options
    From Anyinsah on Twitter:

@Plaaaayer I joined in training with the lads today and it feels good, so i should be ok for the match on saturday. Sorry for the late reply.
  • Options
    We will concede because we can't defend so will need to definitely score a couple at least. Will we ? I think a frustrating 1 - 1
  • Options
    Going for the win again. Rovers aint a bad side, going to be inconsistent this season but coud do well, they have a strong looking attack which scores goals but I think we'll be too strong for them tomorrow night.

3-1 Charlton. Benson, Jackson, Martin. - Hoskins for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2010
    i'm not going to take some of the pessimists views on here as this game is a doddle and i'm going to go along with the bookies who make rovers 4/1 to win and so with current form make it good value for us to get another 3 goals chalked up.

3-0 any problems will be our own making and it's not going to happen anyway.
  • Options
    Thought our defense was crap on Saturday but we can certainly score goals,so 3-2 it must be.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I can see us getting a frustrating draw at home soon to end our run of victories but I think we will do that against Walsall. If Anyinsah and Waggy are back to Balance up the team I can see us scoring a few tomorrow, but I can also see us letting a couple 4-2 same as last season.
  • Options
    cant see us winning this one , only hope i am wrong
  • Options
    i think bristol will put up a bit of a battle, but im still holding out for a scrappy win... cant wait, haha! 2-1.
  • Options
    I have never seen us play well without Dailly.

For some reason, even the midfield and attack look rubbish without him.

It will be a cold and frustrating night without the skipper and end in a scrappy draw.

Looking forward to Semedo clearing the blizzard. Hope he does'nt see red though.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]I have never seen us play well without Dailly.

For some reason, even the midfield and attack look rubbish without him.

It will be a cold and frustrating night without the skipper and end in a scrappy draw.

Looking forward to Semedo clearing the blizzard. Hope he does'nt see red though.

I think this just goes to show what an influence he has on the team as our captain.

Tonight is the time for some of the other experienced players to show their leadership and tactical awareness. Semedo, Racon, Jackson - I'm looking to you guys!

I thik this also highlights one of the biggest deficiencies in our squad - we may be a little light on leaders.
  • Options
    I think they have some injury worries and are there for the taking if we go for the jugular. If Anyinsah isn't ready, would like to see Ackpo up front.
  • Options
    Time for Fortune to step up to the plate - as one of the more senior players and someone who knows all about Charlton and it's history he should be in there motivating the team.
  • Options
    All I hope is that nobody throws a stupid tackle on Blizzard. As we have seen so many times, ' down to 10 ' totally destroys your game plan, lets leave it to Grant Basey to extract whatever revenge is required. Teams that want to win this league need to play not just with spirit, but also with discipline. A much better idea is to give him verbals all night until he loses it and gets himself sent off, we can then make his journey to the early bath totally unpleasant.