Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I'd rather watch Charlton away

The Lass & I came down to the Valley last Saturday for the first time since demotion from the Championship. Living in the NW we go to most away games from Walsall north and across to Hartlepool but travelling to the Valley cost about £100 so we don't do it any more. Anyway we did last Saturday and got seats in the Lower West as that is the stand for which we used had season tickets. Why there well I spent most of my years on the old East terrace near the half way line and prefer being on the side than behind the goal, at away games it is usually behind the goal.

So there we are sitting just behind the home dug out, the North stand has the drums and the singing and around us there is silence, OK some polite clapping when we scored but no atmosphere whatsoever, when I shouted my customary "COMEONCHARLTON" I got looks of apprehension from some sitting around me, when we heard VFR singing from the North we tried to join in but no-one else did, I doubt they knew the words. It was dead.

So roll on Rochdale where we can sit near the front and join in the singing with the younger ones standing at the back. There was more atmosphere from 300 of us at Carlisle than 15,000 at the Valley. I congratulate the North stand for trying but as for the east and west -- get behind your team tonight and make a bit of noise.

We will return to the Valley and maybe we'll try the North or is the East any better?

Also well done to that small band of Yeovil fans who certainly got behind their team.

Comments

• what part of valley floyd road did you sing mate?
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]what part of valley floyd road did you sing mate?

i just clap at the end of it
  • That's the nature of the beast .... it's an OAP convention with the likes of Razil and his travelly blanket
  • Sit in the North mate, Upper or Lower will do, bit more of a football atmosphere allowed there. East is too similar to the West although not quite as bad.
  • I spent our premier league years in the west stand for the one reason that my dad and brother wanted to sit there. The season we got relegated to the championship I managed to persuade them and a couple of mates to move to the north upper now they could never in back. Granted the view isn't as good but there's always a bit of banter and plenty of singing (most of the time).

I know there are some decent fans in the west stand but the complete lack of atmosphere does my head in.
  • I think the East (the parts nearest the north) might be a bit better - but if you really want atmosphere then I'm afraid you only have one option...
  • The away end
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]The away end

Haha, I was going to say White Hart Lane but good shout as well ! The Yeovil "hard-core" certainly seemed to enjoy themselves, maybe they got their hands on some of our Courage Best ?
  • Got to admit the few times i have sat in the north upper this season , i have hated it because of the idiots around me.
    I had an bloke in his 30's who was sitting with three kids and another man , buzzed off his tits on something , next to me on Saturday .The aggression and bile that was coming from his mouth was unbelievable.
    Those poor kids.
    I had to go and move at half time because of his behaviour. I'm so glad i didn't take my 7 year old son.
    I was in H block row GG and I'm sure i wasn't the only one to move because of him. I would have told a Steward but thats as much use as talking to a brick wall.
    I seriously thinking about moving to another part of the ground from now on.
  • I love the North but am stuck in the West for daytime matches...I've been told not to sing, to sit down, to act more like a lady blah blah blah. I'd much rather a few idiots around me than sitting in a morgue for 2 hours.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]I've been told ...to act more like a lady
    #

Seriously ? What were you doing ?
  • I do swear a bit...well a lot actually, but what gets me into trouble is screaming at the zombies around me when they dont sing...I just cant help myself!
  • Im in a similar situation to you Lancashire Lad.Im in Scotland and am limited to away games that are a day trip by train.What Ive found is at these away games at the outposts of the empire is the support is good because its the real die hards that have made the trip from South East London and people like you and myself that are exiled in the North of the country. It is an event that we are going to enjoy whatever and after Carlisle my throat was knackered til Tuesday! A trip to the Valley for me these days is a once a season pilgrimage and some times my enthusiasm isn't appreciated. As the vast majority of people sitting round me are at the Valley every other Saturday and suffer the ups and downs live and its more routine for some of them,where as I am back in SE London on my old stamping ground determined to enjoy myself,remembering the old East Terrace with my late Dad and sometimes looking back Ive maybe been slightly out of sync with the crowd,Im just that pleased to be there and if there has been a bad run of results its weighing more on the regulars than myself.
  • Very well put Richie...but don't you still want to give them a slap sometimes?
  • Just sometimes!!
  • well said Richie, when the red red robins plays, the team comes out and I gaze across at where the east terrace was I must admit I get quite nostalgic !

Rochdale here we come!
  • [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]well said Richie, when the red red robins plays, the team comes out and I gaze across at where the east terrace was I must admit I get quite nostalgic !

Rochdale here we come!

is that the one that henry wrote?
  • [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]There was more atmosphere from 300 of us at Carlisle than 15,000 at the Valley. I congratulate the North stand for trying but as for the east and west -- get behind your team tonight and make a bit of noise.

As somebody who also lives a long way from the ground but still manages to see around 10 or so matches a season, I still enjoy my trips to The Valley - and it's great catching up with people again.

But generally speaking, the atmosphere is just not there at The Valley these days - only when we score or an incident like the Dailly red card eventually rouses the crowd.
    It's a shame, but we never seem to get behind the team, "we only sing when we're winning", as the chant goes.

Away games tend to be very different, good atmosphere amongst us, different vibe altogether. And a much better day out.
    Proper football day. It's just like watching football used to be at The Valley.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]The Lass & I came down to the Valley last Saturday for the first time since demotion from the Championship. Living in the NW we go to most away games from Walsall north and across to Hartlepool but travelling to the Valley cost about £100 so we don't do it any more. Anyway we did last Saturday and got seats in the Lower West as that is the stand for which we used had season tickets. Why there well I spent most of my years on the old East terrace near the half way line and prefer being on the side than behind the goal, at away games it is usually behind the goal.

So there we are sitting just behind the home dug out, the North stand has the drums and the singing and around us there is silence, OK some polite clapping when we scored but no atmosphere whatsoever, when I shouted my customary "COMEONCHARLTON" I got looks of apprehension from some sitting around me, when we heard VFR singing from the North we tried to join in but no-one else did, I doubt they knew the words. It was dead.

So roll on Rochdale where we can sit near the front and join in the singing with the younger ones standing at the back. There was more atmosphere from 300 of us at Carlisle than 15,000 at the Valley. I congratulate the North stand for trying but as for the east and west -- get behind your team tonight and make a bit of noise.

We will return to the Valley and maybe we'll try the North or is the East any better?

Also well done to that small band of Yeovil fans who certainly got behind their team.[/quote]

F*****g like you alot mate. Exactly my views on the situation. Its a graveyard! You got 80% of the North singing their heart out, and the west and east only have just about a handful.
  • I feel the same, for five seasons now I've done more away games than home games. Too many things about going to home games make me not want to be there, away days are just a far better footballing experience in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]but if you really want atmosphere then I'm afraid you only have one option...

Go to The Den?
  • I just dream of one day coming out of The Valley with my ears bleeding!
  • [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]but if you really want atmosphere then I'm afraid you only have one option...

Go to The Den?

That can be a barrel of laughs too, as you'll know when you were conceding 6 at home this season.

Thanks for the offer, Lame Lion - but no thanks, mate!
  • [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]but if you really want atmosphere then I'm afraid you only have one option...

Go to The Den?

But made sure you pick a big game like us, Palace or Leeds because they don't turn up to anything else and it's quieter than The Valley on a non match day. And about as itimidating as well.
  • ''Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii''

Over and over and over again.
  • just over 8k in home fans for millwall v norwich says a lot about milwalls hardcore as opposed to the daytrippers who come out for the big ones
  • edited November 2010
    Oh yes we have more true fans, that's without a doubt.
  • [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Oh yes we have more true fans, that's without a doubt.

Especially away ........? Just joshing folks, before you all write letters of complaint to the editor!
  • [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]

Go to The Den?

But made sure you pick a big game like us, Palace or Leeds because they don't turn up to anything else and it's quieter than The Valley on a non match day. And about as itimidating as well.

Someone who clearly goes to Millwall more often than he should be.
  • oh dear.
    Another decent CHARLTON thread ruined by the sparrows lane donkey mentioning his beloved windmill f.c

"oh please Charlton fans, please notice us blue chaps from down the road, please we love nothing more than attention, its vital to such a small club as ourselves"

Yawn, same old story.
    Donkey boy, why do you find yourself on here so often? Is the championship not exciting enough?